RAM

Pidesco

Which memory configuration would be better, 2Gb DDR2 667 single channel or 2Gb DDR2 533 dual channel?

Also, am I correct in assuming that DDR2 667 memory sticks work with motherboards that only support memories up to DDR2 533? (At a lower clock rate, of course.)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Which memory configuration would be better, 2Gb DDR2 667 single channel or 2Gb DDR2 533 dual channel?

i'm surprised meta hasn't answered this yet. i personally don't know, though i'd lean towards dual channel. the one benefit i can see with the 667 memory is a potential adjustment to your latencies.

Also, am I correct in assuming that DDR2 667 memory sticks work with motherboards that only support memories up to DDR2 533? (At a lower clock rate, of course.)

if your mobo only supports DDR2 533, then the answer to the first is definitely the dual channel option. yes, however, 667 memory should still work as far as i know.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

don't memories need to be configured for dual-channel in order to run in that mode? either way, the benefit is only in improved latencies if the mobo is restricted to 533 operation. of course, that's often the biggest improvement memory accesses can benefit from.

taks

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with getting two DDR667 and running them in Dual Channel? Shouldn't that be the best option?

Of course, but I'm trying to restrict my motherboard budget to something below 60

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

i'm surprised meta hasn't answered this yet.

Hey, I _do_ sleep. :)

Also, RAM is a nightmare to recommend; lots of research to do before I could even possibly comment.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

nope, they aren't. at the speeds they're running today, and with advanced cache management techniques, code structure is the limiting factor. rarely is the CPU waiting on memory reads/writes for most applications. the performance spread between 533, 667, 800, and even latencies is probably below 1% overall.

taks

One would have to consider ceilings for future upgrades of motherboard or RAM, as well as ensuring not purchasing something that is beyond the current motherboard's specification, to make a proper recommendation. Lots of work for budding advisors.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT