Games you own

Civ4 was good for a while. What I really don't like about it is the game will end when a certain time period is reached. I absolutely hate it. The new expansion coming up promises to add a lot to the late game, which hopefully means we get to play longer before they force a game over.

Honestly, with a few very rare exceptions (usually Civ2 games where I'm a democracy trying to hold off the fundamentalist hordes long enough to launch my spaceship) I have never found late-game Civ to be much fun. Too many units & cities to manage, most of which are usually doing something unremarkable. Unless I'm really forcing myself to finish a particular game, I'll usually just restart.

Honestly, I don't if there's much they can do to fix this. I guess Alpha Centauri did it pretty well, but that's because of the storyline elements that game introduced-- I tolerated the tedium because I wanted to know what would happen with the mindworms and the tech development (blind research was a great feature of that game, and the VO quotes accompanying each discovery were really well done). Unless you really enjoy assembling modern armies and using them to crush your enemies (which a fair number of people on Civfanatics seem to), I don't think that late-game Civ is going to be fun for you. But the early to mid game is fun enough (unless I get screwed with the resource draw-- what do you mean there's only 1 iron on this continent!! :ermm: ) that restarting doesn't bother me.

Galactic Civilizations II does it very well. You still have new technologies and ships to build. Heck, when it gets to that point in Civ4, it feels like my civilizations have barely reached the 1900s most of the time. There's still so many wars to declare (read: have declared against me, I don't declare war ever) and technologies to acquire.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I never got into Civ 4, Civ 3 I played but all I really remember is once you get to the 1800's the AI takes forever to move.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I never got into Civ 4, Civ 3 I played but all I really remember is once you get to the 1800's the AI takes forever to move.

I just remember aussalting cities with four spearmen and NEVER wining with sixteen tanks.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Here are a few notables from my collection....

Baldur's Gate(PC)

Baldur's Gate: TotSC(PC)

Baldur's Gate II: SoA Collector's Edition(PC)

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Baal(PC)

Castlevania Symphony of the Night(PS1)

Dark Age of Camelot(PC)

Dragon Quest VIII(PS2)

Final Fantasy Origins(PS1)

Final Fantasy VII(PS1)

Final Fantasy VIII(PS1)

Final Fantasy IX(PS1)

Final Fantasy Anthology(PS1)

Final Fantasy Chronicles(PS1)

Final Fantasy Tactics(PS1)

Final Fantasy X(PS2)

Final Fantasy X-2(PS2)

Final Fantasy XI(PS2)

Final Fantasy XII(PS2)

Heroes of Might & Magic II(PC)

Heroes of Might & Magic III(PC)

High Heat 2002(PC)

High Heat 2003(PC)

Hot Shots Golf 2(PS1)

Icewind Dale(PC)

Icewind Dale: HoW(PC)

Icewind Dale II Collector's Edition(PC)

MVP Baseball 2004(Xbox)

MVP Baseball 2005(Xbox)

World of Warcraft(PC)

I won't list all of them but those are definitely some of my favorites. :sorcerer:

Edited by Setzer

Sid Meier really, really needs to get off his ass and make Alpha Centauri 2.

Seriously, now.

Amen - I still play Alpha Centauri - it's by far the most adaptable game in the series.

Fortune favors the bald.

Mobygames link of most of my games. Complete and in the box, at least.

I haven't been updating things quite so much as i did when i used to contribute to Mobygames in 2001. There is probably another 50 or so games that they still don't have listed which i have laying around. Gaming is my only real hobby. Well which can be discussed here anyway.

My friends fathers Commodore/Apple/Atari game collection made quite an impact on me when i was younger. When i first could afford a computer of my own, i bought several games to make my own little "collection." They were Harvester, Starcraft, King's Quest V, Spycraft, Ultima VII Part 2, Gabriel Knight and System Shock (lol.. i think only two of those made it on the list.. the others are packed up with most of my early collection). Over time i slowly started adding games and after a couple months, it started to grow into this 30 game monstrosity. At that moment, i was at a crossroads: either stop the collection there, or go all out. I made a judgment call and now i have so many games they go from floor to ceiling in some spots. I seriously doubt any outside influence could make me get rid of them (been down that road before). However, i have given considerable thought of selling them due to demanding nature of caring for such a large collection of.. well, anything really.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.