Smilies

ghosta

smilies  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like of dislike smilies?

• Yes, I like Smilies
    • No, I don't like smilies

Do You like smilies?

I personally like smilies. :bat: I think they make the forums more intresting to read.

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

:bat:

:o

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There are certain things you can't convey with text. Emoticons are the most agreeable remedy for this.

:shifty:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I Like smilies so much I made a calculator animation of them as my final project for math class. I wish I new how to upload the program from my calculator to the computer cause I'd luve to post it.

I have hundreds, so I suppose my answer has to be 'yes.' :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There are certain things you can't convey with text. Emoticons are the most agreeable remedy for this.

I'd say that there are certain things you can't convey with text without many extra contextual cues, and emoticons are a very useful shorthand.

After all, even though a picture may be worth a thousand words, I'd argue that (even if it takes two thousand words) it certainly isn't impossible.

/pedantry

:sweat:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A forum without nice smilies would be dull and lifeless. :sweat:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I have hundreds, so I suppose my answer has to be 'yes.' :o

Wow, that's a cool animation. What program did you use to make it?

:):bat::-:down::o:ban::bow:

smilies are one of the reasons I like this place.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I feel that smilies ruin just about any post they are in.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Wow, that's a cool animation. What program did you use to make it?

Oh, no, I didn't make it. It's just one of those I've found on various 'smilie collection' sites and squirrled away on my hard drive.

I have no idea who made it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

They are useful shorthand, but I think descriptions *makes exagerrated grimace* are superior *sits back in his chair with expression of smug fatuousness*.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I feel that smilies ruin just about any post they are in.

:x

:'(

Actually, I kind of miss the days of no-graphic smilies. They weren't quite as visually disruptive to the text. Um...most of the time. Occasionally I would go overboard with the : ) everywhere.

But modern smilies are just too cute.

I dislike the over-stated smilies like the dancing ones or huggy penguins and the like. But then, being English, I get embarassed by anything more emotional than a sofa cushion.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The point is that the purpose of an emoticon (see, the clue is in the name) was originally just to add some context, like "this is me joking, so don't take it seriously," which is needed in a sterile communications medium like monochromatically monospaced text. The latest incarnations are more "here's a funky thought to punctuate my proportionately less-than-funky text".

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

:rolleyes::lol:>_<:verymad::teehee::shifty::sweat::yucky::devil::brows::ermm::down::woot::lol::bat:-_-

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.