NWN 2 Worlds down for move

Rhomal

NWN 2 Worlds is down for a week or two as I move back to Boston. Will post a update when we are back online! :)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

NWN 2 Worlds is down for a week or two as I move back to Boston. Will post a update when we are back online! :ermm:

It's already been offline for five days without prior warning (since Saturday, or earlier); not even the site's own volunteer staff had prior notice of the closure.

:yucky:

Kiwi

Question: Why would you moving require the site to go down? Couldn't the staff keep it running while you're gone? Or are you hosting the site yourself?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That would explain it then.

Other than the cost of the hardware, would that be cheaper than paying for the equivalent hosting?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Depends on whether or not his internet connection can handle the traffic or if he needs to upgrade. All the software required has open source alternatives (alternatives may be a bad word given that they are actually the most common), so there really is no cost associated with it. So as long as the connection is good enough and you've got static IP, it should be cheaper (although hosting is dirt cheap as well).

It depends more on bandwidth demands, I would think. Anyone that starts hosting pr0n, for example, is going to blow their local ISP quota pretty quickly ... (... fortunately I doubt this endeavour would be in the same league, demand-wise ... :sweat:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hence why I started with "can handle the traffic" a statement which includes bandwidth requirements. Of course, here we have no such idiotic contraptions. I can up and download as much as I like how often I like. So I could certainly host a website (and do, but only for testing purposes) if it weren't for me having dynamic IP. It's a rare thing that my IP changes (typically when I disconnect in favor of my laptop), but it does happen.

NWN 2 Worlds is down for a week or two as I move back to Boston. Will post a update when we are back online! :down:

It's already been offline for five days without prior warning (since Saturday, or earlier); not even the site's own volunteer staff had prior notice of the closure.

:o

Real life sadly does not always give advanced notice of changes...

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Depends on whether or not his internet connection can handle the traffic or if he needs to upgrade. All the software required has open source alternatives (alternatives may be a bad word given that they are actually the most common), so there really is no cost associated with it. So as long as the connection is good enough and you've got static IP, it should be cheaper (although hosting is dirt cheap as well).

More or less correct. Amazing what 768k upstream can host. The site gets over 1,000 unique visitors a day and I am transferring 40+gigs of html data a month.

I prefer to host my own server as I like the ability to admin it on a OS level just not a site level. This way I am not dependent on some company to keep up with patches, firewall changes, security issue, site updates, etc. Call me a control freak but as my good friend Strutter says "Your really not the admin unless you control the power button" :o

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

• 4 weeks later...

I want to apologize and give a update on the status of nwn2worlds.

LONG story short, gf went off the deep end, I kicked myself out, ending up crashing at a friends place, got some $ together and moved into my own place. Sadly due to all the moving and such the server has been down during this time since it had no stable home. I however now am into my new place and have put in order in today to get my DSL back up and running, they state if all goes well 7-10 business days I should have service again.

As a nice thank you to the community for being patient we will have a brand new interview from OEI with the questions you submitted last month on our re-opening :thumbsup:

I am sorry again about the abrupt downtime.

-S

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Sorry to here about your relationship troubles, but these things happen sometimes. Good to see that you aren't giving up. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

• 1 month later...

For what its worth, nwn2worlds is back online :thumbsup:

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

"Your really not the admin unless you control the power button" :ermm:

That is a great quote. I've got to remember that one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Your really not the admin unless you control the power button" :blink:

That is a great quote. I've got to remember that one.

Funny... yet true! :)

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---