New Dungeon Lords screenshots

mkreku

Some new Dungeon Lords screenshots have popped up over at Gamer's Hell, if anyone's interested.

Apparently they're going to show the game at E3, so in a few days we're sure to get more info about the game. The new screenshots look really good too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm curious about the interface. It looks pretty.

The spell book thing. Is that a spellbook that the character picks up and uses kind of as if it were a wand? Will every class have access to things like spell books? On the other hand, is it wizard only? The books have various charges, apparently. Does that reflect the number of charges the character has prepared in the book, or do books have a certain number of charges when you find/buy them?

The monsters run from undead to monstrous to human/bandit types to giants. There was a battle with three characters against some monsters. I noticed the fighter/mage, the fighter, and an archer type. Will there be a healing type character like a cleric or will all healing be done by potion?

It looks good so far.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My only complaint so far is the somewhat stiff animations.

Other than that, it looks and sounds great. I just LOVE the trailer music.

I got a friend interested in it. MP coop would really kick butt.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, four new screenshots have surfaced over at Gamer's Hell.

Check them out HERE if you're interested. But be warned, they're dark and kind of.. boring :lol:

Looks like a great game though!

Not bad at all!

Yeah, I just love games where the world isn't entirely flat (like in KotOR, all IE games, Neverwinter Nights and so on). I want hills! I want ditches! I want mountains! I want valleys!

Come to think of it, I want Gothic 3.

Not only that. The textures and the environment design is also very imrpessive. That blue sky amidst the lush green trees..... Beautiful! I love nature.

One of the best parts of BG1 was just roaming around those forests. :lol:

Yes, the graphics are pretty, but what about the substance of the game. Only the meat of the game matters to me. It can be a text adventure as far as I am concerned. If it doesn't have any substance to it, then the graphics are useless.

Well, dear Hellspawn, that's quite difficult to predict from just screenshots. But seeing as this is DW Bradley (Wizardry demi-genious) developing it, I am sure he won't let it become just another hack'n'slash game. At least, that's what I am hoping for. I'd hate if it turned out to be a fancy Enclave-clone..

I will occassionally settle for a hack-n-slash if the exploration portions of the game can keep me awake while I play it.

You can have a good story and hack-and-slash gameplay (eg IWD1).

These screenshots look very nice, but there's zero sense of any real story, dialogue, interaction etc other than combat.

The sparse bit of dialogue seen looks very trite.

newlogo.gif

There's a Gamespot preview (with a D.W. Bradley interview baked in) out now.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonlord...ew_6100790.html

It sounds fantastic, although I bet Dungeon Siege would sound fantastic too if you let Gas Powered Games talk about it. Anyhow, I honestly think he can pull it off. And the more I read about it, the more it sounds like Gothic :o

Woo!

Can you switch to first person ?!?

Third person nonsense makes me cry like a baby, ironically, the main reason why i never played Gothic (well, that, and the fact somebody said it was similar to 'Morrowind', hugh...)

I have absolutely no idea if there's first person in Dungeon Lords. But I do know that you can actually use first person perspective in Gothic :lol:

Just a warning though: if you've never gotten seasick from playing a game before, you're in for a whole new experience with Gothic in first person mode :) When you choose that view, the camera shifts and ends up stuck in the face of your character. When you walk the camera follows his head. When you turn, you don't just turn around the Y axis (called Y in Europe, probably Z axis in the US), but you kind of "glide" around sideways, which is a very uncomfortable feeling.

At first, I didn't like the third person perspective of Gothic either. It wasn't until I ran into a flock of wolves in the forest it began to occur to me what a great view it was. It's also much easier to swim/dive in third person. And to jump over deep chasms!

Gothic is not at all like Morrowind though. It has better combat, worse control scheme, smaller world, better story, worse graphics (some say) and a much "livelier" world (full of life).

I am unimpressed. The graphics look very bland compared to upcoming RPGs like Guild Wars, Bloodlines and Dungeon Siege II. The action trailer was even less impressive because the animations look rather crap for lack of better description.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Well, then read this list, non-believers!

http://etoychest.org/content.php?article.76

The number one on that list (before Planescape: Torment) was written and programmed by none other than D.W. Bradley. (And for now, just ignore the fact that the best RPG ever is just number ten.. :rolleyes:)

D.W. Bradley is currently busy writing and programming.. Dungeon Lords.

• 2 weeks later...

Interview: http://www.gamezone.com/news/07_02_04_12_18PM.htm

And according to RPGdot: "Dreamcatcher has formally announced that the Official Dungeon Lords website went "live" as of yesterday...so be sure to check it out for the latest news, downloads, screenshots, community links, forum, and - in the upcoming weeks - the official single and multi-player demos!!"

The site doesn't look any different, but sp and mp demos = good.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

• 4 weeks later...