New Dungeon Lords screenshots

mkreku

Is this game going to have a story and characters or is it just another hack/loot/level ?

Judging from the review you posted Mkreku it seems to be one the above, not a single question about anything else than classes, fighting, monsters, spells etc.

Im especially intrigues by this

the decision was made to base this game around a single character, as it

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm downloading the demo right now. I'll post my impressions later.

The reason I'm interested in this game is mainly because it reminds me of Gothic and I'm practically starved for a good 3D RPG. Simple (and stupid) as that :thumbsup:

Also, co-op is a great plus, as is the fact that I think D.W. Bradley has done some pretty good RPG's in the past. Several people have mentioned the combat being pretty awkward, but I'll wait till I've tried it out myself.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ok, I've played the demo now. And I like it!

The combat is awkward, yes. Exactly as Gothic was in the beginning. It's slow, has a "floaty" feeling about it, and an auto-aim or lock-on would help immensely. But I spent a lot of experience points (I love the character development by the way!) in agility, and voila, the combat became much more fluent and much faster. Ranged weapons use some sort of auto-aim, based on your skill in the weapon of choice. It works well as you do more damage, shoot faster and hit more often as you spend more points in your ranged skills. I never figured out the magic, but I managed to "equip" a few spells (to kill a big and nasty troll) and the spell effects looked real nice. Also, dual wield looked real good.

The camera is another thing that feels weird in the beginning. You're not in total control of your own view, as the camera floats around in the direction you turn. At first this makes the entire game feel slow and unresponsive, but after a while that feeling disappeared and I started enjoying the game instead. As a matter of fact, the game is not slow at all, it is pretty quick. Animations look a little awkward though, especially when climbing ladders or climbing ledges.

Another thing I really liked was how the game handled lock picking (I created a rogue). It's a good mix of player skill and character skill, as you have to press certain symbols at the right time when a coloured progress bar moves across a row of different symbols. Sometimes you only need to press one symbol, sometimes up to three (as far as I got anyhow) and the speed of the bar is determined by your lockpick skill versus the difficulty of the lock. Much better system than the one used in Gothic!

The story of a game is impossible to determine from a short demo, but I liked how the game handled dialogue with NPC's. You get a few highlighted keywords to choose from and when you've heard the response to them, they're greyed out, and sometimes new highlighted options appear. The dialogue in the game seems to be voiced (which is a great plus for me) and the little I heard sounded good.

Another neat detail is that, yes, the game does contain a lot of hack'n'slash, BUT.. (big but) ..you can turn down random encounters if you wish! Why doesn't all games have that option? Anyhow, it does reduce the amount of stupified combat alot. For me, the combat wasn't a big deal (except with the troll) so I'll probably keep the random encounters at normal, but it's a great option to have nonetheless.

I played through the entire demo (which was a lot longer than I had expected) all the way through to the theatre door, and when that sign about "Thank you for playing blah blah" popped up, I felt I wanted to see more. That's always a good sign for a game.

Ok, I've played the demo now. And I like it!

The combat is awkward, yes. Exactly as Gothic was in the beginning. It's slow, has a "floaty" feeling about it, and an auto-aim or lock-on would help immensely. But I spent a lot of experience points (I love the character development by the way!) in agility, and voila, the combat became much more fluent and much faster.

This way of handling skill+stat based combat is idiotic. It makes you feel like youre playing with local anasthesia in your fingers or like you have an old worn-out mouse you need to click really hard for anything to happen, extremely frustrating. I say give the player 100% control from the beginning and let the players increase damage or gain special attacks as he progresses instead.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This way of handling skill+stat based combat is idiotic. It makes you feel like youre playing with local anasthesia in your fingers or like you have an old worn-out mouse you need to click really hard for anything to happen, extremely frustrating. I say give the player 100% control from the beginning and let the players increase damage or gain special attacks as he progresses instead.

That's your opinion.

I think being able to watch my own character, the top of 4 houses, some enemies hiding behind a bush, and another group of enemies trying to ambush me behind my back for 5 minutes without anything happening unless I end the round is idiotic (also known as turn based, isometric viewed combat). That's my opinion.

But what's the point of posting our opinions here?

Make sure you explore the landscape around the town before entering the sewers. That way you'll enjoy the later parts of the demo more. I used the outside parts as a playing ground to get used to the weird controls and to gain a few agility points. The demo is surprisingly big and there are a few nice things to find and see.

Make sure you explore the landscape around the town before entering the sewers. That way you'll enjoy the later parts of the demo more. I used the outside parts as a playing ground to get used to the weird controls and to gain a few agility points. The demo is surprisingly big and there are a few nice things to find and see.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably wait till I'm more alert before coming to any conclusions :p

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The Adventures of Bob the wolfman...

Actually suprisingly easy to figure out except the switch for magic which I couldnt get rid of for a while.

Combats ok, nothing too taxing. Similiar to bloodlines in a lot of ways.

So far I've managed to hack my way through rats, wolves, goblins and an undead or two. Bats on the other hand.. probably need a bow or something.

Magic is where it's at , it's powerful stuff. Dont know if this was a glitch but I stood around for a while messing around without talking to the messanger. And the screen sort of filled up with beasties (note to self a -14 penalty is not a good thing). So I dug around in the magic menu and found and ice spell which pretty much cleared the screen .Its like a third person version of the inferno spell, its quite fun , just hold down the magic key and spin around.

Until it runs out.... nothing like your spells running out at the wrong time.

Nether magic is icky, interesting but definately icky (though in a game, rather than a gameplay sense).

Character creation/growth is really nice, you just sort of spend your XP as you get them.

Probably wont buy it as I have nothing but bad memories of W&W but for a free demo it's not a bad way to waste a few hours.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Wizards and Warriors was a rotting log when it came to bugs. But at least the clunkiness is gone. I found DL quite intuative even for someone who spends most of the time with a gamepad these days.

Another :p for the character system as well.

478327[/snapback]