Another "best game" listing

Computerandvideogames.com 101 "best PC games ever"

Above link goes to the top 25 - links to the rest are at the top of the article.

While I don't agree with all of their positionings, for once, it's not too bad "list," title-wise, imo.

Dungeon Keeper = #62 :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And this week's winner of Token Adventure in A Best Games Ever List is: The Secret of Monkey Island

I wish they wouldn't use 'Best Games Ever' if they didn't mean it. The fact that it's a 'Best PC Games Ever' list makes it even less excusable. :(

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The Longest Journey was on there ... isn't that kind of an adventure game?

I guess I liked the list more than most because many of those games never even appear on other lists, at all. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It is, yes, and there's also Fahrenheit and a few others in the lower reaches. I was focusing on the top 25. I find any list without Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in the top 20 to be unconvincing, I'm afraid.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Deus Ex as number one. An interesting pick. I've seen DX high on a lot of lists, but never at tehnumb3r1!

That would seem a little high for a game with such poor AI, but it is certainly a respectable pick.

Unlike Morrowind at #4. I mean I am as big a supporter of ES games as anyone, but number 4? Nah, that's just absurd. It's a totally broken game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I find any list without Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in the top 20 to be unconvincing, I'm afraid.

.... I've never heard of that game. Not surprising tho, I tend to ignore all games based on film industry hits.

No one is ever going to agree on number positioning - since I don't typically like shooters I think most FPS should NOT be in the top25 :( - so I'm just pleased when the list as a whole has many names I think at least deserve recognition for being good games, nevermind their placement.

I don't like the list. The only one I agree with in the top ten is System Shock 2 and Deus Ex but not number one.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Deus Ex as number one. An interesting pick. I've seen DX high on a lot of lists, but never at tehnumb3r1!

That would seem a little high for a game with such poor AI, but it is certainly a respectable pick.

Unlike Morrowind at #4. I mean I am as big a supporter of ES games as anyone, but number 4? Nah, that's just absurd. It's a totally broken game.

Morrowind had/has a huge following, though: if you were one of the players who can read endless pages of background info off scrolls that are left hidden in dungeons, and you like a sandbox game, then I can see why it would be placed so highly. I'm not, but that's more because Morrowind is a marmite type of game: people either love it or hate it, no in-between.

Also, it's good to see Deus Ex getting it's proper acknowledgments. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Collecting games from different genres in the same list is a bad idea anyway. I mean, how can one compare Fallout with Footbal Manager 2007? What makes FM2007 a better game? Huge team database? Accurate simulation mechanics? Better training options?

centinexx.png

I'm not, but that's more because Morrowind is a marmite type of game: people either love it or hate it, no in-between.

Arghhh! That reminds me of my first encounter with Kiwi Cuisine (although that toxic green glowing gunk was called "Vegemite") :o

It would be nice if they just called it by it's right name and said: "Here is our very own most belowed PC games that we can remember right now.".

Admittedly, it doesn't sound quite as catchy, but at least it would be honest.

If they wanted to be serious about it, they need to separate genre and list a set of rules and criteria up front that they judge each games merits on.

As it is, it's just as good as any Obsidian Forum Poll

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not, but that's more because Morrowind is a marmite type of game: people either love it or hate it, no in-between.

Arghhh! That reminds me of my first encounter with Kiwi Cuisine (although that toxic green glowing gunk was called "Vegemite") :(

This one tops my personal List of All Bad Things about Australia. When I tried it first, I thought it was something like Nutella...

I don't like the list. The only one I agree with in the top ten is System Shock 2 and Deus Ex but not number one.

I pretty much share the same opinion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I find any list without Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in the top 20 to be unconvincing, I'm afraid.

.... I've never heard of that game. Not surprising tho, I tend to ignore all games based on film industry hits.

Or you might not know it because it's about 15 years old. It was a brilliant adventure game though, I'd put it on an even footing with Monkey Island. I still remember sneaking out my office window to avoid college students.

There also isn't a Fate of Atlantis movie.

Morrowind had/has a huge following, though: if you were one of the players who can read endless pages of background info off scrolls that are left hidden in dungeons, and you like a sandbox game, then I can see why it would be placed so highly. I'm not, but that's more because Morrowind is a marmite type of game: people either love it or hate it, no in-between.

Also, it's good to see Deus Ex getting it's proper acknowledgments. :)

I don't know. I am (was) a pretty big fan of Morrowind. Spent A LOT of time with it. But however much I enjoy it; it is still broken. Maybe its a top 50 game, but I can't see it any higher than that. Maybe not even that high.

Just because a person loves a game, doesn't mean its a great game. In most cases, games we personally love are games that have hideous flaws but they are flaws which don't bother us for whatever reason.

Deus Ex is much more worthy of praise than MW ever will be. They are not only 4 slots of difference in greatness between them. And I would still at this point rather play MW than Deus Ex if I had to choose.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I can't access the site right now, so what rank is Shadow of the Colossus?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You are a very strange person. Or rather, your definition of "best" ("personal best" / "favourite") is very strange.

Why? Because I don't equate the concepts of "best" and "favorite"?

*is confused*