Eidos Montreal working on a new Deus Ex game

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/789/789358p1.html

Eidos Confirms Next Deus Ex

The new Eidos Montreal studio is reviving the action RPG.

May 17, 2007 - In a recent interview on French-language television station MusiquePlus the director of Eidos France, Patrick Melchior, revealed a new Deus Ex game is in the works. The revival of the franchise is the "first mission" of Eidos' new Montreal studio, currently made up of around 40 people.

Deus Ex is an action RPG series created by Warren Spector and Ion Storm and originally released by Eidos in 2000. The game received a sequel, Deus Ex: Invisible War, in 2003, but since then the series has been dormant. Ion Storm shut its doors in 2005, and Warren Spector is working on a game with his new Junction Point Studios. Details on this revival are not clear at this time, but Melchior says we can expect to hear more about the next Deus Ex game in a few months.

As of this writing, Eidos could not be reached for comment.

Edited by funcroc

Of course it won't be tr00 Deus Ex unless it is action RPG with an Unreal engine in Real Time. And about fourhundredgazillion levels. And Hospitaliers. And Opus Dei. And MJ12. And Masons.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's more a poor, shorter facsimile of the original. I wouldn't have minded so much, if it was just a little broader and longer, all the ingredients were there, they were just rushed.

Easy to carry on, just have a new apocalypse.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

YAY montreal.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's more a poor, shorter facsimile of the original. I wouldn't have minded so much, if it was just a little broader and longer, all the ingredients were there, they were just rushed. wasn't an obtusely designed crap fest of a game which is neither as memorable nor as deep as the prequel thanks to a deplorable character development system, disingenous factions and a story that canabilizes its own setting so it has a reason to exist.

Fixed.

Of course it's difficult to not see Warren Spector at the helm of the next DX, but I'll keep an eye out and hope for the best. I was disappointed at IW's lack of consequences to your actions, but I didn't have any real issues with the gameplay.

Also, did IW sell well? Because, as Aram put it "the last one was balls" isn't a real concern unless it was a financial disaster.

Well, you can certainly look at it and say that it doesn't have Warren Spector so it won't be a real Deus Ex.

But, you can also look at it and say it doesn't have Harvey Smith so it won't be a real Invisible War. And I don't think that is such a bad thing, personally.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's more a poor, shorter facsimile of the original. I wouldn't have minded so much, if it was just a little broader and longer, all the ingredients were there, they were just rushed. wasn't an obtusely designed crap fest of a game which is neither as memorable nor as deep as the prequel thanks to a deplorable character development system, disingenous factions and a story that canabilizes its own setting so it has a reason to exist.

Fixed.

Merciless.

Of course it's difficult to not see Warren Spector at the helm of the next DX, but I'll keep an eye out and hope for the best. I was disappointed at IW's lack of consequences to your actions, but I didn't have any real issues with the gameplay.

If you kept completing missions from one faction then the other factions would go ballistic on you.

Also, did IW sell well? Because, as Aram put it "the last one was balls" isn't a real concern unless it was a financial disaster.

Same reason the Bethesda bought the rights to and are making a sequel of Fallout; lots of goodwill invested in the name (marketing ROI is markedly higher), lots of people who would buy the game in case it turns out to be half as good as the first one ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, here's hoping that DX2 turns out good. Deus Ex was the best FPS game I have ever played.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It played more like an FPS game than a RPG.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I'd be inclined to agree with my good Jedi friend Hades. DX was a fun experience, but I didn't find the roleplaying elements particularly enticing. In terms of how I was playing the game, it was just a well-designed FPS, with a bit more freedom compared to others of the genre. The story seemed decent at the time, but I don't actually remember any of it, so maybe it wasn't that memorable.

What I do remember is slashing anything that moved with that sword they gave you.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Good news! I never thought there'd be a Deus Ex 2 (or will they call it Deus Ex 3? I'd rather just forget about Invisible war myself) after the latest fiasco. Let's hope the new developers manages to pinpoint what made Deus Ex such a success in the first place! A good start is to realize that unified ammo isn't even a good idea for the most mindless of the console kids..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!