So is Your PC built or bought?

Bokishi

Build or Bought Poll  

36 members have voted

1. 1. So is Your PC built or bought?

• Custom Built
    • Store Bought

All the parts were bought in a store, so in a sense, it's store bought ....

... sorry, another 'just had to say it' LC moment. :)

All our pc's are custom built. In the past it was mostly just cheaper, and these days it's not only (usually) that, but because even if I bought a store-bought one, I'd end up tweaking it constantly (or frustrated that it wouldn't let me) and so I may as well custom-build in the first place. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Somehow I figured out how to jumble this nonsense into a working rig. Took me like an hour and talking to someone on my other computer to figure out my monitor cables weren't in good enough. I think I hold the record for longest time put into assembling a computer. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Store bought, and upgraded some since then. Added RAM, better graphics and sound cards, and second hard drive. Been over seven years since I built my own PC, and after some quick research I decided I was too lazy to build another.

[famous last words]

Next PC, which is hopefully a long way off, will be a custom build though.

[/famous last words]

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I haven't bought a computer (with exception of laptops) in over ten years ... my first custom rig was about 7 years ago.

Since then I've built three other computers for me, and over a dozen for friends and family.

I wouldn't even recommend a factory box to my mom (who literally does nothing but web surfing and e-mail).

I had mine built to my specifications, (metallic finish with a big button that glows blue with POWER written on it, which will play Kotor 2, dvds, and stuff) They upgraded the motherboard and graphics cards when building it so it's better than how it was when I stated paying for it... I know that because the number is of a higher value. :)

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

My current PC is a heavily modified store bought. My next PC will be a custom built job.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Custom, obviously :)

Companies like Dell or HP always skimp in on details they dont think youll notice to maximise their profit. And high-end premades like BoXX charge you $10 000 for hardware worth $5000 for no reason.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Custom.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

totally custom, though not high-end. i typically rotate parts out giving the ejectees over to my wife's rig. i now have a son with a computer, so he'll join the musical pooter parts parade soon (his box is probably the strongest, minus my video card and HDD).

the next "rotation" is going to happen soon. my wife complained that her CDs are no longer being recognized, and she's already had PATA controller issues... she'll get my stuff, and i'll get new. i'm still torn on AMD X2 or core2 duo. particularly with AMD about to release their core2 competition, which means high-end X2s will drop drastically in price, again.

oh, and NO VISTA... :)

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Companies like Dell or HP always skimp in on details they dont think youll notice to maximise their profit. And high-end premades like BoXX charge you $10 000 for hardware worth $5000 for no reason.

But mine is an IBM. AN IBM!!11!!one!1

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I originally started building my own when the crappy 286 I bought new blew out its parallel port and couldn't be upgraded--nonstandard parts and a small desktop case that relied on a backplane board for add-on cards. Couldn't afford a whole new rig, and my ex wouldn't approve anyway (hated computers), so I bought it in pieces over time and smuggled them home. My kids got their first computer via 'rotation'--good word, by the way--I couldn't let all those spare parts lie around now, could I? First rig I built was a 386. And I don't know how I ended up with that closet-full of parts, honest.

I don't know why people are so against Vista. So far its been the most stable OS I have used yet.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

custom built, two and a half years ago. was pretty high-end then (bougth second best of available parts to get a slightly better price/performance ratio :wowey:), and is still usable for nwn2.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I don't know why people are so against Vista. So far its been the most stable OS I have used yet.

An 85% performance loss using high-end 3D software is a pretty strong reason not to use it.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

An 85% performance loss using high-end 3D software is a pretty strong reason not to use it.

Its performing better than XP, but then again the only 3D software I use tends to be games. :wowey:

My computer was built to my specs by a local IT shop. I hadn't been keeping up on technology so I let them put one together for me. My next rig will be custom built, but I'm waiting to see what comes of the new Intel and AMD processor families. My circumstances have changed yet again so now I can save up for the big upgrade and get all top-end stuff when I finally go for it.

Vista will wait. XP Pro is more than sufficient for now and I can run it for months at a time without stability problems. Perhaps by the time there's an SP2 for Vista I may be ready to consider it. I'm limited to running in 32-bit mode with XP Pro so ultimately I'm going to move to a 64-bit capable OS.

I've had custom build computers since 1996.. I don't trust companies to build anything or install anything for me - I'm a degenerate control freak when it comes to computers..

Still, I buy a new one so rarely that when it's time to upgrade I feel like I'm starting all over again (getting to know the market).

Fortune favors the bald.