Headphones

I'm doing some recording transcriptions and need recommendations on some good relatively cheap headphones for listening to voice. I am trying to reduce the impact on my neighbours.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I don't know about voice vs. music, but I use Sony's MDR-V300, and I like them quite a lot. Not really big, but decent sound quality for the size, even the bass. Price - maybe 50 US? Two minor caveats - if you wear eyeglasses most of the time, they may not be very comfortable, as they can press the earpieces against the side of your head too much, and the cord gets that hairdryer-twisted-together-cord effect really easily. And of course, like any small-middle size headphones, a good seperate sound system might overwhelm them on certain frequencies (classical ranges or bass-heavy rap music, perhaps).

But on the computer they're great, imo.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=7965

Bigger image

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thanks, LC. I've made a note of the technical specs rather than the actual phones, in case I can't find any locally.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If you want something smallet you could always try Koss.

I've used these:

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?ope...;pc^pt^PORTAPRO

Don't let their relatively small size fool you, they are blood fantastic. Definitely the best headphones I've ever owned and the sound quality is better than anything the same size and most a size or two larger.

Spider's suggestion looks cooler. I'm just emailing teh company to ask where they retail in the UK.

-Elwood Blues

Indeed - I'll have to try those the next time I need some. I see Koss in stores of course, but haven't tried any yet.

Question tho - is that metal-looking headband comfortable on the head? It doesn't look very, but looks can be deceiving ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It depends on your use for them. Cheap, bad headphones are definitely not worth it, but decent ones can serve you well if you are only a leisure sound connoisseur.

I bought a pair of logitech, which were pretty good. BUT, don't leave them lying around where casual footsteps can trample them, because they seem to be a little fragile. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I spend a good portion of my day transcribing interviews for my job. I'm young and averse to spending money, so I use a fairly cheap pair of monitor-style Sonys. The cord is much longer than the earbuds I have for my mp3 player, and these big Sonys do a great job with music, as well as voice.

Headphones

They're basically a step down from LC's Sonys. No, they're not as good as $200 Bose headphones, but you can give the clerk a $20 and get back change. Er, get back shillings... or whatever they give you in jolly olde England. :)

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Indeed - I'll have to try those the next time I need some. I see Koss in stores of course, but haven't tried any yet.

Question tho - is that metal-looking headband comfortable on the head? It doesn't look very, but looks can be deceiving ...

I suppose it depends on how much hair you have. It was never an issue for me and I wore them for many hours at times (long travels).

One problem I've always had with many headphones is the 'band' slides off my very straight, very flat, and apparently very slippery hair at the slightest movement. Something about Sony's bands or their design in general keeps that from happening. >_<

I know some of the metal bands on mini-earphones - like for portable players - kind of "pinch" my hair, but they're usually a lot narrower.

I have a pair of CReative HQ 1300, they are cheap, extremely comfortable, decent sound quality but they do absolutely nothing to shut out exterior sound sources. Theyre only useful if you play games late at night and dont want to wake people up.

Ive been looking for a pair of headphones that is completely soundproof against normal office noise, but all the heave duty ones are meant to protect against lower frequencies like machinery, so they dont do much against talkative coworkers

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have a pair of CReative HQ 1300, they are cheap, extremely comfortable, decent sound quality but they do absolutely nothing to shut out exterior sound sources. Theyre only useful if you play games late at night and dont want to wake people up.

Ive been looking for a pair of headphones that is completely soundproof against normal office noise, but all the heave duty ones are meant to protect against lower frequencies like machinery, so they dont do much against talkative coworkers

You should try the Bose Quiet Comforts, they shut out noise and sound awesome. i don't have to hear my computer's fans. Voices are still there but they get muffled a bit

Hmmm... plenty of good ideas.

-Elwood Blues