Blizzard is taunting us...

I still don't really think that is a fair comparrison, but that's alright.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Heh, yeah, I know they make non-action rpg's too - and that Starcraft/Warcraft are popular - but in my experience, often when Blizzard is mentioned, generally Diablo/WoW are the games discussed, for a while now at least.

In terms of being fair - fast-food is quickly consumed with little thought, but can be very tasty, not to mention addictiing to some - like my hubby. :(

When I want a game that doesn't require a lot of brain cells or involved decision making, or just vicarious monster-bashing fun, I like those kind of games. Hence I call them fast-food. That analogy may not work for everyone else, but it was not intended as a "Blizzard makes unpolished games" remark. If I thought they were unpolished or sucky, I wouldn't have played them for 6 years.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm noticing a lot of sickening elitism in this thread.

Why do people think that just because people know what they like and know what they dislike like and vocal about it always be labeled as "elitist?" Get a freaking grip, Tale. People have different tastes in games and sometimes when people see a sequel they have certain expectations for that game because it is being marketed as a sequel.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I have yet to really enjoy a Blizzard title, but I do own a fair few. One of the main things that blizzard do, other than alot of market research, they actually have never really pushed the bounderies in terms of graphics, or animation, nor gameplay. They actually keep things very simple from a technology point of view, this means they can spend more time with the game, getting the gameplay better for fans.

I would still say that the games produced by blizzard are more akin to fast food, because like fast food it's addictive, and they're usually bad for you, anyone who's been addicted to WOW should know that much.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

By fast food I meant the style of the games they tend to be (often) noted for, that many on this forum say they dislike - ie, click-fest no-story action RPG's.

I don't think the comparison is still valid. A game like Diablo is extremely tricky to pull off, no matter how simple it is to play. Lot's of companies have tried to emulate the game, and most of them failed.

Now, i never liked the series and it's always been my least favored among Blizzard's franchises (the game, the setting was actually pretty cool), but it's a bit naive to assume Blizzard sold million of copies by producing junk. If it was that easy everybody would be doing it.

Edited by Lyric Suite

Its junk... with taste...

It is the Snickers of computer gaming.

Hmmm... Snickers...

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I'm noticing a lot of sickening elitism in this thread.

Why do people think that just because people know what they like and know what they dislike like and vocal about it always be labeled as "elitist?" Get a freaking grip, Tale. People have different tastes in games and sometimes when people see a sequel they have certain expectations for that game because it is being marketed as a sequel.

You "get a freaking grip." Simply saying what you dislike doesn't qualify as elitism, but claiming that liking this or that game is an adult action and directly implying that people who like a particular game may be older but not adults is overt elitism.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You "get a freaking grip." Simply saying what you dislike doesn't qualify as elitism, but claiming that liking this or that game is an adult action and directly implying that people who like a particular game may be older but not adults is overt elitism.

So? Its still just as meaningless as anyone elses opinion and if it is meaningless then its not elitism. Take that grip, Tale! HA!

So? Its still just as meaningless as anyone elses opinion and if it is meaningless then its not elitism. Take that grip, Tale! HA!

Elitism is meaningless itself. Elitism is an opinion.

And apparently I was mistaken on the thread, it was the Bioware MMO thread.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Oh, I see. Using that defense. :p

Diablo had me hooked from the moment I laid eyes on it, which was while watching a friend show it to me. The atmosphere was great, from my point of view, and it appealed to those times when I felt like chopping through everything in my path, which is common after a long day at work and putting up wtih incompetant traffic.

Diablo II had me again for a long time, though ultimately I gave up on Battle.net play thanks to Blizzard's see-saw method of character balance and the ever-present hacks, cheats, and banal people. Blizzard might have Starcraft down pat for balancing, but they never seemed to get the hang of balancing Diablo II. In the end, fan-made mods (including my own) saved the singleplayer game for me, and I abandoned Battle.net forever.

I tried Starcraft, but I just don't have the skill to keep up with fast-paced "real-time strategy" games. They should be called "compressed-time strategy". My all-time favorite RTS game, meaning in part the only one I could beat from beginning to end, was Age of Kings by Ensemble Studios. I also had a blast writing custom AI scripts and playing against seven computer-controlled players on custom maps. The fact that it was history-based helped a lot, and I really enjoyed watching the various units do their stuff. Female villagers are hawt. :p

I've never been able to "get into" the Warcraft franchise, though I've tried a time or two.

Adventure games are taking up more and more of my gaming time nowadays, with the Longest Journey series being my favorite. I keep forgetting to, but I really want to obtain the Thief collection because I love sneaking around, sniping, and being a rogue in general.

By fast food I meant the style of the games they tend to be (often) noted for, that many on this forum say they dislike - ie, click-fest no-story action RPG's.

That's only one of their 3 most popular franchises. The very one that I've noticed a number of people on this forum express a distinct liking for!

Or maybe it was just Raven and she seemed like several people.

I think I should point out that their other two franchises are just plays off the same genre.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Diablo had me hooked from the moment I laid eyes on it, which was while watching a friend show it to me. The atmosphere was great, from my point of view, and it appealed to those times when I felt like chopping through everything in my path, which is common after a long day at work and putting up wtih incompetant traffic.

Diablo II had me again for a long time, though ultimately I gave up on Battle.net play thanks to Blizzard's see-saw method of character balance and the ever-present hacks, cheats, and banal people. Blizzard might have Starcraft down pat for balancing, but they never seemed to get the hang of balancing Diablo II. In the end, fan-made mods (including my own) saved the singleplayer game for me, and I abandoned Battle.net forever.

I tried Starcraft, but I just don't have the skill to keep up with fast-paced "real-time strategy" games. They should be called "compressed-time strategy". My all-time favorite RTS game, meaning in part the only one I could beat from beginning to end, was Age of Kings by Ensemble Studios. I also had a blast writing custom AI scripts and playing against seven computer-controlled players on custom maps. The fact that it was history-based helped a lot, and I really enjoyed watching the various units do their stuff. Female villagers are hawt. :)

I've never been able to "get into" the Warcraft franchise, though I've tried a time or two.

Adventure games are taking up more and more of my gaming time nowadays, with the Longest Journey series being my favorite. I keep forgetting to, but I really want to obtain the Thief collection because I love sneaking around, sniping, and being a rogue in general.

The Diablo games had me hooked for the longest time on Battlenet. Good times.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I don't think the comparison is still valid. A game like Diablo is extremely tricky to pull off, no matter how simple it is to play. Lot's of companies have tried to emulate the game, and most of them failed.

Fair enough on the first, and true enough on the latter. :)

Now, i never liked the series and it's always been my least favored among Blizzard's franchises (the game, the setting was actually pretty cool), but it's a bit naive to assume Blizzard sold million of copies by producing junk. If it was that easy everybody would be doing it.

But again, I wasn't implying Blizzard sells junk. 'Fast food' is a somewhat humourous label I call the entire action-rpg genre as a whole. So if you don't think the phrase is a valid comparison in terms of describing the gameplay of/the genre itself, I'll agree to disagree. But it meant nothing - I repeat nothing - as a quality reference aimed solely at Blizzard as a company or Blizzard vs. another company, or how hard/not hard it is to make such games.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

www.starcraft2.com

^be shocked an amazed where it leads!

Oh my gawd... this totally ruins the surprise. Who knew it would be that easy!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If it is Starcraft 2, I will be getting calls from my buddies in Korea in the most ungodly hours of the day/night telling me to get on Battle.net

I mean they still do that sometimes for the original Starcraft.

I can't wait.

If it is Starcraft 2, I will be getting calls from my buddies in Korea in the most ungodly hours of the day/night telling me to get on Battle.net

I mean they still do that sometimes for the original Starcraft.

I can't wait.

because it's midday for them, besides they'd probably ask you to reserve eighty copies at your local store and send em to korea just so they can play them that much sooner.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Fair enough on the first, and true enough on the latter. :)

But again, I wasn't implying Blizzard sells junk. 'Fast food' is a somewhat humourous label I call the entire action-rpg genre as a whole. So if you don't think the phrase is a valid comparison in terms of describing the gameplay of/the genre itself, I'll agree to disagree. But it meant nothing - I repeat nothing - as a quality reference aimed solely at Blizzard as a company or Blizzard vs. another company, or how hard/not hard it is to make such games.

Actually, I think everyone is being particularly pernickety with your useful analogy, LC.

No-one in their right mind would dare suggest that McDonalds, for example, isn't ferociously popular ("over ten billion served" or whatever), and, though I'm not a regular customer, I have eaten their food and (when I was very young) more than enjoyed it.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think people might have taken offence to the indirect implication that Blizzard games are "dumber" than standard RPGs.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

meh, whateva.

Best quote ever for Diablo 2.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"