Van Buren Demo Released

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35970

Yes, you can really play it. Josh Sawyer has also commented on the demo over at NMA.

On a personal level, I'd like to say thank you to Josh for continuing the dialog on a game that was sadly canceled long ago, and even moreso for taking on Black Hound. Obsidian may be the last company keeping real PC RPGs alive, but Josh is really going above and beyond the call of duty.

Thanks for the thanks, but just in case there is any confusion over this: I did not leak the demo, nor do I know who did. I'm not exactly busted up that it's out on the net, but I was not involved in it getting there.

Sorry if I made it sound like you leaked it. I just appreciate that you actually spoke to us about it when you saw it was released. And of course I appreciate the fact that you're single handedly finishing a BIS project. If you want to keep on finishing old BIS games, I don't think any of us will complain.

P.S. I'd even buy Obsidian created Oblivion style games light on role playing, if it bank rolls private projects like Black Hound. And you know how I feel about those from your blog ;).

I played with it sometime last year and all it did was make me very sad that the full game was not released.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

On a personal level, I'd like to say thank you to Josh for continuing the dialog on a game that was sadly canceled long ago, and even moreso for taking on Black Hound.

:sad panda:

Obsidian may be the last company keeping real PC RPGs alive, but Josh is really going above and beyond the call of duty.

:salute:

To suck or not to suck, that is the question.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I hit that communist with a cattle prod and then it crashed. I like the way it looked, besides all the bugs (can't push any of the buttons on the bottom of the screen) and knowing all I do about the game, oh, the broken dreams. The broken dreams.

You know, even with my cautious optimism, I'm having more fun with this demo in my head than I ever will with Beth's attempt at F3.

Edited by Pop

This is very sweet! i am still downloading but some1 laready ripped the music of the game(know the music was just placeholders too from a Funeral Songs CD) but just listening the music while waiting for the dl to finnish brings back good ol memories. I think I will go and play some Fallout again:)

From my blog:

No Mutants Allowed released the Van Buren TechDemo to the public.

Just a personal note to salute the former BIS members from the Van Buren team, particularly Damien Folletto, Scott Everts, Josh Sawyer, Chad Nicholas, Jeff Husges, Sean, Chad and everyone else

It only crashed once on my machine. Always at the same spot, after I kill the flamethrower chick and get down to the vault entry, then bam! Apart from that, I like how BIS got the low-perspective "2D" feeling of the angle right. And teh music and doggies are teh awesome!

I really hope Obsidian will one day get the chance to create a real Fallout in the vein of Van Buren! Bethesda's Fallout will fail by default.

I was actually blown away by the intuitiveness of the camera. It's miles ahead of NWN or others of its ilk. And this is pre-Alpha.

My game crashed when I decided to flame the door to the generator room, since I couldn't find a toolkit.

Broken dreams, I swear.

Edited by Pop