Starcraft 2 on the brink of announcement?

I saw this at Gamespot. Blizzard are about to announce a new game, and it's in Korea so the chances of it being S2 are pretty high.

As if the mention of a new Blizzard MMOG wasn't enough, this week also saw rumors spread that the publisher-developer is resurrecting one of its classic real-time strategy series. According to a Korean newsletter partially translated by Teamliquid.net, "StarCraft 2 will be revealed for the first time to the world at Blizzard's World Wide Invitational (WWI)." According to the letter, Blizzard will also use the event, which takes place in Seoul, South Korea, on May 19 and 20, to show off the game, which reportedly has full 3D graphics, a revamped combat system, and a new race.

The official story: In an unusual turn of events, Blizzard freely admits that it will announce a new game at the WWI in Korea, where Starcraft's popularity is at near-fanatical levels. "We do intend to announce a new product at the Worldwide Invitational next month in Korea, and we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest in getting an advance look at what that will be," a rep told GameSpot.

Unsurprisingly, though, Blizzard's publicity minion became tight-lipped about the new game. "We can't give any further details regarding the product announcement at WWI," the rep said. "Everyone will have to wait until the event to find out the news."

I predict that if they ever do make Starcraft 2, it will be a disappointment.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Only that the article leaves out the last piece of comment (from Kotaku):

We do intend to announce a new product at the Worldwide Invitational next month in Korea, and we appreciate the enthusiasm and interest in getting an advance look at what that will be, but players will have to wait until May 19th to find out more. Also, we have a very strong connection with the characters and settings of StarCraft, and we do plan to revisit that universe at some point in the future, but we don't have anything new to announce in that regard at present.

And it will be a first person turn-based flight simulation game.

With werewolves.

:)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

And it will be a first person turn-based flight simulation game.

Hopefully, all the clouds will use concurrent turns to pass by faster.

That'll take advantage of the extra DX10 volumetric rendering features!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I really do not like the sound of this "revamped combat system" thing. The old way was about as close to perfect as it could get in my opinion. Why should they change it?

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Starcraft 2 seems a heck of a lot more likely than a new Blizzard MMO. I can see them beginning development on an MMO now (like WoW2 or something) with the idea of releasing it in 4-5 years, but they have absolutely no reason to take on an MMO with WoW still running strong.

I hope it is Starcraft 2. I want to see what happens to Zeratul and Raynor and Kerrigan. New playable race....Xel'Naga.

New race will be the protoss/zerg hybrid.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Warcraft is also a RTS, right? So maybe they're thinking of a new Warcraft RTS to go along with their WoW hit?

Starcraft does seem a bit more likely tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts