Vista Fix / Intel Chipset Fix

ChaTua

So I have two laptops, one pretty nice one with Vista and one cheap one that I use for traveling around. I read that some people are having trouble getting TSL to run on on computers with Vista and some are having trouble running it on laptops with Intel chipsets. I think I figured out how to fix these issues.

Vista:

If you have a computer with a decent graphics card but can't run TSL with Vista, then download the 1.0b patch. I did that right away when I installed TSL for the first time and got the game running pretty well. There's still some problems though such as the game locking up on startup and during the transition in and out of cutscenes every so often. If you really want to play the game, that shouldn't be that much of a problem, just save often. If you have Vista and an Intel chipset, then read the next part.

Intel Chipsets:

After finishing the game with a light sided finish, I wanted to do a Dark Sided run through. I have cheap laptop like I mentioned before so I decided to do the Dark Sided profile on that laptop. Since my chipset, which is an Intel 945GM absolutely sucks, I couldn't run the game without any tweaking.

First I downloaded the 1.0b patch, then got 3D-Analyze (DL here). Open up 3DA, click select, find your TSL executable, and open it. Then in the "Hardware Limits (cap bits)" box, check off "emulate HW TnL caps." Click Run and you should be good to go! I haven't tried any graphics settings other than the lowest ones so far.

I hope this helps some people. Don't know if this has been posted before though so just ignore/close this thread if it has been.

Edited by ChaTua

Thanks for the add.

Regarding the Intel chipset, I tested out other graphics settings and it turns out I can run it on the highest settings my laptop allows. I can set the textures to high, the antisotromabober to 4x, and the resolution to 1080x768 without much difference in performance than the lowest settings. In either case, the game still gets bogged down in areas where there's a lot to render such as outside environments.

The game won't allow me to turn on antialiasing and vertex buffers but that's not a biggie.

• 4 months later...

I have the same graphics card (945GM intel chipset) and I tried what you suggested, however after the starting title sequence it continues to crash. I have it set on Windows XP SP2 compatibility, run as administrator and using the 3DA thing, but still no go =-( Any more suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I also have a laptop with the intel 945GM chipset and I can't run KOTOR 2 unfortunately, neither using 3d Analyze, strange however I have played KOTOR 1 twice, light and dark side, perfectly.

Also, with KOTOR 2 I've tried almost every possible solution, using the mss32.dll from KOTOR 1, disabling sound and movies, messing with swkotor2.ini, compatibility mode, but honestly I can't run the game.

Is there going to be a patch or something? We would highly appreciate it.

Regards

Edited by NeoDio

• 1 year later...

i'm having problems with vista and intel chipset combination.

i downloaded the 3d-analyze, selected swkotor2.exe but when it is selected there's not a single check in the boxes.

i'm assuming there should be some since there was mentioned that a box should be unchecked. does anyone know why this is?

• 3 months later...

I have an hp dv7 series laptop with an intel duo 2gh processor and 4gb ram and an nvidia gforce 9600m gt and plenty of share and dedicated ram. I run vista64 and use an emulator for games that aren't vista compatible. I tried the Patch (1.0b) to upgrade the game and fix problems but it didn't help. The error I am getting is that the driver for my laptop (Nvidia gforce 9600m gt) with the lastest driver update (185.81beta) installed is being kick out with a null message and it says that I need detonator 45.23. I contacted nvidia and they said to wipe the drivers and reinstall them fresh. I did that and it didn't help. What am I doing wrong?