Biowares new MMO will be....

I rather see no MMOs. The market has too many MMOs as it is.

Too many mindless MMO, that is. I've yet to see a MMO concept that could appeal to adults and not to some asocial teens.

The existence of countless adults in World of Warcraft and EVE kind of contradicts what you see, Morgoth.

Being adult doesn't mean grown up. WoW doesn't use any adult or compelling themes. It's just, as theslug pointed out, a waste of time and money without any intellectual reward.

Intellectual reward? From games?

Is that like head butting someone? I can already do that!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Intellectual reward? From games?

If I can have that from Books and movies, why shouldn't that work for games, either? Just being "fun" is not enough for me. If games are just "fun", developers could just abandon story-driven games completely and make Tetris clones.

Edit: I meant "Tetris". And don't be a jerk, Sand.

Edited by Morgoth

Taris clones?

What? Malak destroying one isn't enough for you?!?!?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Its funny but i stopped playing World of Warcraft because of KOTOR. The server was down one weekend then i realised that i'd never played KOTOR on the dark-side. I had so much fun that i quit WoW and never looked back.

A MMO can't compete with a good story driven RPG.

Damn straight. In my view MMOs are all failures.

Edit: I meant "Tetris". And don't be a jerk, Sand.

*TEE HEE!*

:thumbsup:

:woot:

:o

:x

WoW did it right to a degree (the game actually plays like a BG light and is fairly quest driven, and playing with small teams offer real class interaction and actual strategy, given your team mates are competent enough) they just didn't go far enough. There are a few moments of brilliance scattered here and there but despite all attempts at making a MMORPG that plays like a real game, the limitations of the medium are seemingly impossible to overcome with the resources available, even from a company as big as Blizzard, let alone everybody else...

Considering World of Warcraft's main goal was generating money, I'd say it was a pretty unmitigated success.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Being adult doesn't mean grown up. WoW doesn't use any adult or compelling themes. It's just, as theslug pointed out, a waste of time and money without any intellectual reward.

You are forgetting that a game like WoW fosters competition, and people who enjoy competition generally couldn't care less about adult or compelling themes, and they sure don't care about any intellectual reward. This isn't a result of personal immaturity, most of them just couldn't care less (think about it. It's video games we are talking about). Where you and i strive to derive some form of artistic or mental gratification from our games, a lot of people just play them for the sport, in which case the shallower, the better.

When Blizzard begun their PC venture they found themselves in the midst of the first multilayer revolution and they took full advantage of it, becoming one of the most lucrative companies in the business. Don't assume they are going to quit now.

Too many mindless MMO, that is. I've yet to see a MMO concept that could appeal to adults and not to some asocial teens.

The existence of countless adults in World of Warcraft and EVE kind of contradicts what you see, Morgoth.

You forgot to address EVE. ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You forgot to address EVE. ;)

Indeed. However he chooses to define "adult or compelling themes," he'll have a hard time excluding EVE with its extensive politics, espionage, betrayal, and space piracy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Many people classify it as is.

Many people are ignorant twats. So what?

"So what?" So, they're entitled to their respective opinions. It doesn't make them twats, little guy.

It's been a while since I've visited these forums. Thanks for reminding me why I left.

Edited by Jambo

So, they're entitled to their respective opinions.

Yes, but this is not a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

The defining element of a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG is not the RPG nor the multiplayer part, rather, it's the 'massive' pre-fix, that is, the idea of a persistent world where every player within a given server can log in and actually interact in gaming terms with all other players active in the server, at all times. Technically, this persistent world is the reason why those games incur a monthly fee in the first place, or at least part of it.

Guild Wars doesn't have a persistent world, thus, it cannot be considered a MMORPG. Phonetically (and conceptually) a Multiplayer Online RPG may sound like it's the same thing, but having a persistent server actually makes a pretty big difference, not the least the fact you actually have to pay for it.

It's been a while since I've visited these forums. Thanks for reminding me why I left.

You are welcome. Good bye i guess?

Edited by Lyric Suite

Guild Wars wasn't a MMORPG.

Really?

Is it a RPG? Yes.

Is it online? Yes.

Is there tens of thousands of people online at any one time? Yes, that is pretty massive.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck sometimes its a platypus.

Edited by Sand

Is there tens of thousands of people online at any one time? Yes, that is pretty massive.

I see you are having problem understanding this.

Are those people playing together? No, therefore, not massive. Guild Wars is exactly like Diablo, only difference being the first added fancy graphics to the Battle.net chat screen. ROOFLES!!