1. 1. Whats the best thing about KotOR?

• Story
    • Music
    • Graphics
    • Environments
    • Character development
    • Cinematics

Either K1 or K2. discuss.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I voted story, but that goes with the characters in the story. I think your character development option meant the RPG aspect of making your own jedi right?

Anyway, I loved interacting with the characters in the story, played both through several times just to get to play with different combinations of teammates to find out more about their characters :getlost:

i went with story but charecter developement is not far behind . . . it was also a big part of the game ! ! ! i thought music in tha game wasnt that great .

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

Character Development was great, especially in KotOR1. I believe that the Influence engine restricted what you could find out about characters, and was only put there to force you to play through KotOR2 again, so you understand the character and then progress with them. I liked how in KotOR1 characters conflicted, and talked to each other but they should have kept it consistent throughout the whole game. I liked in KotOR2 how each time you got on the Ebon Hawk pretty much something always happened with the characters.

I like the fact with KotOR that its not like other games, you can do what you want without being told to "Get back to the battlefield, son"

Story which both of them had. Character development would be the next choice not far behind.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I really liked TSL because you could train everyone but Mandy and the droids to be Jedi due to the influence system. I don't know if this was in the first game because I haven't played that one but I plan to find out soon. However the drawback of the influence system was that if you were strictly light sided, it was hard to gain influence with say, HK, but as long as you were light sided, gaining influence and training Atton, Mira, Diciple, and Bao-dur to be Jedi was pretty simple.

I really liked TSL because you could train everyone but Mandy and the droids to be Jedi due to the influence system. I don't know if this was in the first game because I haven't played that one but I plan to find out soon.

KOTOR 1 had no influence system, it was an addition to TSL. This was one of the few things in KOTOR that really annoyed/made me laugh-no matter how badly you treated your party members they would still tell you their whole life story....Likewise being able to train members of your party is only a part of TSL-unless you pick up a mod from somewhere.

The influence systems was a good idea but not properly implemented. For example, if you were ls and had high influence with Visas, she would still get upset when you did a ls act. Once you had a high influence they should not question you on such thing, unless it was a major plot point.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Story - I'm not at all surprised that this has received the most votes. Character Development is a huge part of the stories, but ultimately the stories do a good job of tying everything together. I can honestly say that I was a bit surprised with the main plot twist in K1 the first time I played. The ability to try out different classes and DS / LS alignments significantly adds to the reply value, but lately (in the past year or so) when I find myself playing K1 or K2, I fall back to my favorite class combinations, just like reading a good old book. I know the stories backwards and forwards, but I enjoy watching them play out.

Music - nice, but not great - some are worthy of Star Wars, but none really have the emotion of John Williams.

Graphics - recently built a new rig (Conroe E6600, nVidia 8800 GTS 320) and this is the first time I've been able to play with max settings - in some cases, it's almost like seeing the world for the first time. The games looked good before, but now - wow. I wish there was more variety in blaster bolts, I wish that most of the armor in K2 wasn't brightly colored, and while the robes in K2 are better, they're still not great.

Environments - I can imagine that true 3D environments (where you can go up stairs, elevation is important in a fight, you could use a jetpack, etc.) would make things much more complicated - and I'm glad they focused more on the story than the mechanics. They were diverse, visually appealing, and fit the character of the location and story.

Character Development - integral to the story - I enjoyed the banter between the K1 characters (once you realize that everyone has something to say to almost everyone else, and each character has a side quest, it's great incentive to bring different characters along for the adventure) - I wasn't impressed as much with the character interaction in K2, but it was the source of some of the best dialog in the game. Influence was cool but I'm not sure it was finished - in fact there are lots of aspects of K2 that I know or suspect were unfinished.

Cinematics - some were worth watching, but the quality was not very impressive.

liked the OT Star Wars films as a kid.

I think everyone loved Star Wars as a kid. :wub: Everyone's seen it, knows the lines, knows the characters, etc...

KotOR (in a very rip-off way) reminded me of the OT, and then my character had dialogue choices, which made me feel like I was Luke Skywalker, whose gone back 4000 years in time to an event with the same plot, same characters and same themes as the OT. And at the same time, it was like I was directing/producing/writing the movie to my liking, within the games limits.

That's the same feeling that a lot of people, including myself, probably had when they played KOTOR for the first time. I mean, like you said, it wasn't the most imaginative thing there on the market, but it was something of a connection to the past, going back to what made the SW trilogies (the originals, mind you) good. I wanted to go back to the Luke days and have fun characters like Leia, the sassy girl, and Han, the streetwise scoundrel. K1 and K2 are a blending of the old to create something new that's just as fun as watching the movies. Excluding the fact that K2 sort of darkens the plot line a bit more at the end.

But they were enjoyable all around. And I definitely go back and play them differently from when I played them the previous time. It's always something new and just a nice little reminder when I go and have another go around with the game.

I guess I'd have to say character development. Basically, Kotor2 was a game that made me actually pay attention to, and like (or dislike) the characters. Most RPG's I've played, even if I really enjoy the game, characters are just pixels to control to give me an advantage in a battle or there to give me instructions; they affect me emotionally in no way whatsoever. So any that do, are exceptionally memorable to me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I voted cinematics.

The story in K1 left me quite unimpressed and the story in K2 was cut to pieces and left half the pieces out of the game.

I loved both the in-game and the rendered cutscenes in both games though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I voted character development. I realized long ago that that is what I play RPG's for.

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

Bastila

Just kidding; for me it's got to be the storyline. Granted, KOTOR's a mashup of the OT (with a few elements from other genres smuggled in there), and TSL isn't really a children's story (as opposed to 50% of the SWPT) (and I also hinted on a different thread that TSL seems to carry some sort of sociological statement to it)

As a struggling writer, it's a storyline that can make or break the game for me.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Guest Accept

Argh, i can't choose! :yucky:

I liked so many things about KotOR.

But the thing i luved the most was the character development, (Some characters had some truly deep history, me like.), the story (it was awesome, imo.) and the music too was inspiring.

Edit: In KotOR II the music was das pwnz0rz.

Edited by Accept

i dont know if im the only one, but KotOR is what made me get into star wars. the Revan twist threw me into that damn universe, and im not leaving any time soon.

When you are suffering, know that I have betrayed you.......

Me too. Except it was only the SW games. I had already seen the movies.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"