Knights of the Old Republic MMO?

Guest Accept

There's a 99% chance this is false anyway. Its a very hard to believe rumor. I doubt even Lucas arts would accept such a crappy idea.

Even if money is the biggest priority for them, they still have to focus on quality and originality to get that money.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 1 month later...

bumb

It's confirmed

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yeah :sad:

Type in google "KotOR MMO confirmed" =/

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

A Kotor MMO is a nightmare, not a dream.

MMO's don't have stories or plots. And Kotor NEEDS a story. It would suck, since you'd never be able to finish the game, therefore not advancing at all in the Kotor timeline.

That's kinda my opinion too.

The main-strenght of the KotOR-games has been the stories. Both of them have been just completly awesome, imo. And a huge part of the game(s) relied on it.

And me personally would be prefer a KotOR-offline-game anyday instead of a MMO, as told.

It should be an offline game that has stuff that can be done online(MMORPG style) Have a few worlds and places and items that are only obtainable online. And missions could be set up where you and 2 friends can go out on missions (though online would have to be TONS harder than the offline version.

MMO's don't have stories or plots. And Kotor NEEDS a story. It would suck, since you'd never be able to finish the game, therefore not advancing at all in the Kotor timeline.

The main-strenght of the KotOR-games has been the stories. Both of them have been just completly awesome, imo. And a huge part of the game(s) relied on it.

And me personally would be prefer a KotOR-offline-game anyday instead of a MMO, as told.

It should be an offline game that has stuff that can be done online(MMORPG style) Have a few worlds and places and items that are only obtainable online. And missions could be set up where you and 2 friends can go out on missions (though online would have to be TONS harder than the offline version.

If there were online playing - the main PC would have to be some complete no-name who never does anything great in the main stream of things - as far as canonicity goes. KOTOR has always be focussed on you (however you portrayed yourself) being the centre of what's going on; drawing followers to your cause becoming a major power to challenge the evil overlord(s). An MMORPG cannot support this playing style. MMORPGs are about a bunch of people in an online world doing their own stuff - it's in its own pocket universe.

An MMORPG in the KOTOR universe would be cool - but it would have to be a pocket universe - separate from the actual KOTOR storyline - just like Accept said.

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

Just saw this on the InformationWeek website:

"BioWare Adapts Complex Event Processing To Online Gaming World

But StreamBase is used by Canadian gamemaker Bioware, the supplier of Apple Mac OS, PC computer, and Xbox console games such as Baldur's Gate based on Dungeons & Dragons and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. For its new foray into multi-player, online gaming, it's looking to go beyond computer and console game approaches and capitalize on complex event processing from StreamBase Systems.

"With a multi-player online game, you don't know whether you're going to have 1,000 people playing or 50,000," says Bill Dalton, technical director of BioWare. His firm needed a system that could analyze events on a massive scale as they occur in an online game environment and select the right adjustments for the environment.

One of StreamBase's functions is to analyze events and make sure no intruder is trying to disrupt the game's logic, make malicious movements against the activity of other players, or activate the hidden Easter eggs that are sometimes known to lurk in the game's logic. An Easter egg might make a sound that was not consistent with the game's design, show a message, or cause a character to move out of the logic of his role, Dalton explained.

"Some players get to know the game intimately" and can use logic discrepancies, or in some cases, hidden "Easter eggs" -- logic bombs planted by individual game developers as their signature in the game. Those skilled at triggering Easter Eggs or unexpected game sequences can frustrate other players in an online setting. BioWare doesn't want its players' loyalties to the game to be threatened by whimsical or unpredictable game sequences, Dalton noted.

StreamBase's Stream Processing Engine is able to analyze in optimum cases up to 350,000 messages per second. Its StreamSQL can slice and dice message streams into timeframes or event-related sections for particular views and analysis.

BioWare is using the StreamBase Processing Engine as its platform for tracking players' actions and movements. "It will be embedded in the foundation of the game platform" and will "monitor and maintain the status of all players. Each player's movements and actions need to be tracked."

BioWare has not announced the name or described the nature of its online game, but Dalton said it will be launched in 2009. Dalton said his firm wants to do more than match the state of the art represented by such online games as World of Warcraft. He expects the complex event processing built into his firm's game to allow richer role playing and interactions between players.

ts 2009 release of an online game will be its first foray into what's known as the massively multiplayer online role playing game. Bioware reported revenues of $17.5 million in 2003 before it was taken private and stopped reporting revenues. Part of its MMORP game development is underway in Edmonton, Canada, and part at its labs in Austin, Texas, Dalton said."

Yeah :sad:

Type in google "KotOR MMO confirmed" =/

All the links where to other forums, and I have a severe condition of CBA when it comes to reading whats in other forums.

ps. CBA meaning :thumbsup:

Number one suits me perfectly.

Psychological/medical condition?! O NOES

If there were online playing - the main PC would have to be some complete no-name who never does anything great in the main stream of things - as far as canonicity goes. KOTOR has always be focussed on you (however you portrayed yourself) being the centre of what's going on; drawing followers to your cause becoming a major power to challenge the evil overlord(s). An MMORPG cannot support this playing style. MMORPGs are about a bunch of people in an online world doing their own stuff - it's in its own pocket universe.

An MMORPG in the KOTOR universe would be cool - but it would have to be a pocket universe - separate from the actual KOTOR storyline - just like Accept said.

I meant that you can take your character online and play with friends to just kill things (basically). Kinda like halo 2's online areas, You use your person to just fight and its not part of the actualy game (campaign).

What the hell, this must be first time when some fanboi hasn't taken "bait" and screamed his lungs out :thumbsup:

I meant that you can take your character online and play with friends to just kill things (basically). Kinda like halo 2's online areas, You use your person to just fight and its not part of the actualy game (campaign).

I am going to add to this. because its true. MMOs su#% when it comes to a changing universe. WoW is a static world were everything is the same only a few minutes after you left it. Not to mention that many have very (and I mean VERY) poor story lines. Can anyone tell me the story line for WoW? Did you know there is not story line for EVE? Guild Wars has a good story but if you go back to an earlier point you will not see any change.

MMOs must maintain a static universe so that the next player can do his thing too. For this reason I often found that I felt like anything I did didn't mater. It would be undone soon after. Games like KOTOR have always been superior for this reason. The world could change. You could make a difference and what you have done changes lives and the game shows it.

Then there is the point of stories. I asked someone on EVE why there was no story. He said it was much better not having one. But such a person has never understood what a story is. EVE players spend all their time mining for money, destroying other ships for money or just destroying other ships. Like WoW, all they have to look forward to is mouths spent so they can win in PvP against other players and even be untouchable by most. Wow, how amazing.... Many WoW people leave the game after a while feeling they wasted part of their lives away. Why? because there was no story. What is a story? It is a purpose. And we all know what happens to ppl that have no purpose in life. They rarely get anywhere and rarely do anything amazing. Not to mention that what purpose you have does make a difference. And money proposes do work but are not very rewarding.

The ability to save or destroy a galaxy has put KOTOR in a league all it's own. No MMO can match that. It is that that keeps me coming back.

DIDN'T ANYONE OF YOU SEE MY DESPERATE CRY FOR ATTENTION WITH FALSE NEWS!1!!! **** YOU ALL I AM GOING TO CUT MY WRISTS RIGHT NOW!

I am going to add to this. because its true. MMOs su#% when it comes to a changing universe. WoW is a static world were everything is the same only a few minutes after you left it. Not to mention that many have very (and I mean VERY) poor story lines. Can anyone tell me the story line for WoW? Did you know there is not story line for EVE? Guild Wars has a good story but if you go back to an earlier point you will not see any change.

MMOs must maintain a static universe so that the next player can do his thing too. For this reason I often found that I felt like anything I did didn't mater. It would be undone soon after. Games like KOTOR have always been superior for this reason. The world could change. You could make a difference and what you have done changes lives and the game shows it.

Then there is the point of stories. I asked someone on EVE why there was no story. He said it was much better not having one. But such a person has never understood what a story is. EVE players spend all their time mining for money, destroying other ships for money or just destroying other ships. Like WoW, all they have to look forward to is mouths spent so they can win in PvP against other players and even be untouchable by most. Wow, how amazing.... Many WoW people leave the game after a while feeling they wasted part of their lives away. Why? because there was no story. What is a story? It is a purpose. And we all know what happens to ppl that have no purpose in life. They rarely get anywhere and rarely do anything amazing. Not to mention that what purpose you have does make a difference. And money proposes do work but are not very rewarding.

The ability to save or destroy a galaxy has put KOTOR in a league all it's own. No MMO can match that. It is that that keeps me coming back.

After reading this it seems i ddnt get my point across, I'm saying that they make the KOTOR 3 game. But that you have the ability to go Online and just go out in groups of 3 and fight with friends. Not exactly a MMORPG, More like Halo 2 where you go online to fight but it doesnt affect the actual game, Its just for fun to play withother people and show off your characters.

DIDN'T ANYONE OF YOU SEE MY DESPERATE CRY FOR ATTENTION WITH FALSE NEWS!1!!! **** YOU ALL I AM GOING TO CUT MY WRISTS RIGHT NOW!

Good Luck with that =)

Edited by apploud

After reading this it seems i ddnt get my point across, I'm saying that they make the KOTOR 3 game. But that you have the ability to go Online and just go out in groups of 3 and fight with friends. Not exactly a MMORPG, More like Halo 2 where you go online to fight but it doesnt affect the actual game, Its just for fun to play withother people and show off your characters....

You do realize that they are not talking about making a online game. They are talking about an MMO. MMOs and online games are not that same. Bioware never said it would be KOTOR. But the did say they are making an MMO. And MMOs are not addons like Halo 2.

That said. I am down with idea of an online addition like NWN or Freelancer.

After reading this it seems i ddnt get my point across, I'm saying that they make the KOTOR 3 game. But that you have the ability to go Online and just go out in groups of 3 and fight with friends. Not exactly a MMORPG, More like Halo 2 where you go online to fight but it doesnt affect the actual game, Its just for fun to play withother people and show off your characters....

You do realize that they are not talking about making a online game. They are talking about an MMO. MMOs and online games are not that same. Bioware never said it would be KOTOR. But the did say they are making an MMO. And MMOs are not addons like Halo 2.

i believe this is what hes trying to say ... that they should make a kotor 3 game instead of an mmo .... but add an online feature

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

Considering KOTOR uses the Star Wars version of the D20 system...having a NWN-esque online element would be great, in that you have community-made campaigns where you can have a party put together and have a DM run it - that would be cool. Very different to an MMPORG though...

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

^

Tr00