The greatest russian hero of wide lowlands has perished!

Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Rather like Clinton, I feel he benefits somewhat from his predecessor's performance.

EDIT: I mean of course ... er... that thing when... Putin.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Rather like Clinton, I feel he benefits somewhat from his predecessor's performance.

Although, rather unlike Clinton, he was instrumental in the appointment of the man who replaced him.

Although, rather unlike Clinton, he was instrumental in the appointment of the man who replaced him.

NOW who's being naive? :ermm:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You're saying that the Gnomes of Zurich, headed by Clinton, put Bush in office? I don't konw who's being naive, but you're being crazy.

EDIT: and my response doesn't do justice to Yeltsin. Say what you want about him, but when I was a kid, we were pretty much settled on the idea that Communism was there to stay in the Soviet Union. He was a great man who refused to do nothing.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You're saying that the Gnomes of Zurich, headed by Clinton, put Bush in office? I don't konw who's being naive, but you're being crazy.

I can't help it. It'sa ll this exercise. Angries up the blood.

-Elwood Blues

Is that the same as insisting on doing something? :)

No. More like, all it would have taken for the communists to prevail would have been for Yeltsin to do nothing.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Do you remember when he signed the order outlawing the Communist Party on national TV, with Gorbachev looking on and pleading with him to stop? That was a powerful moment.

I also remember ( think) that he kept the Irish Prime Minister waiting at Dublin Airport for him because he was too drunk to get off the plane. >_<

A mixed record, certainly, but his biggest mistake (allowing a tiny clique of oligarchs to take control of the Russian economy) had a lot to do with bad advice from Western neo-liberals and the World Bank.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

May I henceforth suggest we refer to Putin as 'Vlad the Irradiator'?

-Elwood Blues

I don't know, but is anyone else scared by recent developments over there?

-Elwood Blues

All hail Czar Vladimir the Second!

-Elwood Blues

The Daily Telegraph is in a nose-diving, tail-spinning panic about it, yes. :sorcerer:

Myself, I'm worried, but then, I was always worried. Putin has been doing pretty awful things - and allowing his military to do pretty awful things - for many years - in Chechnya, for example. But he was fighting terrorism, so you can't worry about niceties like freedom, human rights and respect for life when you're fighting terrorism, right? Except legalised abuses like that contaminate the whole system, and begin to poison the body politic, as we now see.

I really wish the US would close down Guantanamo Bay. :sad:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The Daily Telegraph is in a nose-diving, tail-spinning panic about it, yes. :teehee:

Myself, I'm worried, but then, I was always worried. Putin has been doing pretty awful things - and allowing his military to do pretty awful things - for many years - in Chechnya, for example. But he was fighting terrorism, so you can't worry about niceties like freedom, human rights and respect for life when you're fighting terrorism, right? Except legalised abuses like that contaminate the whole system, and begin to poison the body politic, as we now see.

I really wish the US would close down Guantanamo Bay. :sad:

Compared with the thought of a resurgent imperialist Russia capitalising on a probably isolationist United States, Gitmo strikes me as about of as much consequence as a mimed fart.

-Elwood Blues