An utterly random topic

Calax

Ok back in the day, UO was the top of the line mmo. In the beta a character managed to KILL lord british. My question is ultimatly, why was he banned if killing the lord exposed a flaw in game design.

http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/stories9/beta.htm

according to that he was killed for not reporting the flaw. When according to the interview he mearly was trying somthing he didn't think was going to work.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was reading about this on Wikipedia not that long ago. Part of it seems that he was banned in relation to not reporting exploits in addition to exploit griefing other players as part of a seperate event or events.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If he used an exploit to grief people, he got what he had coming to him when the ban stick came down.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

He cheated, exploited, and griefed.

If you want me to get riled up at abuse of a player, bring up the story of that guy who was banned from EQ(?) because he posted a graphic back-story for his character in a seperate forum.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

He cheated, exploited, and griefed.

If you want me to get riled up at abuse of a player, bring up the story of that guy who was banned from EQ(?) because he posted a graphic back-story for his character in a seperate forum.

that wasn't my intention. I just post crap to get it out of my system (which resulted in this thread among others). It's more my inquisitive side than my angry gamer side. After all it's much easier to post in a forum and get several on topic replies than to run through 20 or 30 webpages to get a compilation of what might or might not be correct.

Unfortunatly WoW doesn't have anything similar to lord british in that he's the monolithic leader of the entire WORLD who can not be killed (usually).

It would be interesting if there was somebody like that because generally there'd be somebody on every server who'd do it just to do it.

It would be interesting if there was somebody like that because generally there'd be somebody on every server who'd do it just to do it.

yo

In the absence of such characters I settle for hobbits, Jedi, and my own guild leaders.

Edit: It is especially awesome when my guild leaders are hobbits or Jedi.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm pretty sure you could kill Lord British in the earlier Ultimas (like 2 and 3).

I always thought it was some massivly convoluted way that required you to do a circus act... not just light a fire on a bridge.

IIRC Ultima ]I[ had groups of NPCs (either hostile or otherwise), so that if you attacked someone in a town (making merchants run away and guards chase you), the "guard" was a full complement (platoon) of guards would be populated in each instance of an NPC guard ... so it was perfectly possible to attack and kill Lord British, but then your PC (party) would need to run the gauntlet out of the castle, engaging and defeating all the platoons of guards to get outside and reset all the "friend" properties of the NPCs (and allowing Lord British to re-instance). Although I might be confusing 2 and 3, and it might have been impossible to kill Lord British in Ultima ]I[ (infinite hitpoints). This was because in Ultima ][ it was really easy to kill Lord British, just go up to his throne room and attack (he had a lot of hitpoints, though).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Seems like the guy was busted for fething about during a trial run. Not for killing Lord British.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.