Bethesda buys the Fallout IP from Interplay

aVENGER

Now Bethesda have the rights to do anything they want, such as to bring out a Fallout-based first-person shooter. Hmmm... :thumbsup:

I don't feel so much about Fallout, never having got much out of the first two games. I have to imagine how I'd feel if Bethesda bought up the rights to Gabriel Knight and planned to turn it into an 'action-adventure' :x . I think I'd go ballistic.

Yeah, because the franchise was in such good hands over at interplay. FO:BOS made all the fans proud.

This release actually changes nothing, except that Bethesda threw some mercy cash at Interplay. They already had the rights to the next three FO sequels and Interplay still keeps the rights to FOOL. If anything, it's a symbol of (some) hope. If they're willing to spend that much to own the franchise, odds are they're not going to drive it through the ground.

By the way, is $5,750,000 really that much for a fairly well known franchise? I think Interplay got paid more for the Hunter franchise when they sold that, and it's not like that franchise was (or is) going anywhere. I think this is a fairly low price, which is probably why Bethesda took the opportunity. A last ditched effort from Herve to stay afloat for another couple of months.

2. If Fallout 3 offers the same modding capability as Oblivion (and it should, using the same engine and all) then we will see some great things from the modding community and fallout fans. Think about it, Fallout remake, tweaks, you name it. If any modding community could be called the heart and soul of a game it would be the Elder Scrolls modding community and if Fallout 3 is moddable the community may migrate and create great things for Fallout 3. They certainly made Oblivion barable and even if Fallout 3 does suck as bad as some people fear, the community may come to the rescue.

That;s actually the best point I've ever heard re: Bethesda's Fallout 3. If it's got the same mod potential as MW/OB, then fallout fans have basically the best tool set to build a hardcore FO3 as they could ever want.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The embarrassing thing is that I hadn't even thought of the modding possibilities until GreaseDgg pointed it out. Excellent point.

It basically means that no matter how much Bethesda screws up the IP, the fans have no excuse to whine. They have the tools, they have the knowledge and they probably got the time (based on how much time they have to whine over the Internet) to fix up anything that Bethesda fails to provide.

Woo, I'm almost looking forward to this now.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Obsidian should have bought it or at least Obsidian and Tim Cain and the other big names who were involved in the first two games.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It basically means that no matter how much Bethesda screws up the IP, the fans have no excuse to whine. They have the tools, they have the knowledge and they probably got the time (based on how much time they have to whine over the Internet) to fix up anything that Bethesda fails to provide.

*suddenly imagines an unofficial Van Buren TC by J.E. Sawyer* :thumbsup:

However, for many people (myself included) the SPECIAL system is a large part of Fallout. And if Bethesda decides to scrap/drastically alter that system, it becomes questionable how much the modders could affect it. Many important gameplay features (such as the combat system) are usually hardcoded into the engine.

*suddenly imagines an unofficial Van Buren TC by J.E. Sawyer* :thumbsup:

However, for many people (myself included) the SPECIAL system is a large part of Fallout. And if Bethesda decides to scrap/drastically alter that system, it becomes questionable how much the modders could affect it. Many important gameplay features (such as the combat system) are usually hardcoded into the engine.

that's true, of course. But modders can be pretty resourceful. Look at Oblivion: Modders took what might be the worst skill/leveling system every released in a crpg and made it mostly tolerable.

If special and action points aren't in the engine, then there are limits to making it EXACTLY like Fallout 1/2, but there may be ways to simulate some of the aspects effectively.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If SPECIAL isn't used then its not Fallout. That would be like running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I am so not going any further down this path. ktb

If SPECIAL isn't used then its not Fallout. That would be like running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS. :huh:

True. SPECIAL is one of the important aspects that made the Fallout series unique and fun to play.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

If SPECIAL isn't used then its not Fallout. That would be like running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS. :huh:

True. SPECIAL is one of the important aspects that made the Fallout series unique and fun to play.

For some people.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

5.7 Million? What? I know that's only in American money, but that has to be at least fifteen guineas in proper money.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Damn NDA's... shadowstrider SHOULD be able to provide insight on whats going on but the NDA's block him :cries:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If SPECIAL isn't used then its not Fallout. That would be like running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS. :yucky:

If you don't like it.

Just.

Don't.

Play.

It.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Atlast! Now its officially sure there will be more Fallout games, and the F3 is already on its way :lol:

And i don't have a problem with Bethesda having it, atleast someone has it, and something will be done.

Besides: After the game is done, out, and patched will i only say if its good or not, if i like it or not. :)

Heh, i guess some people here won't like that anything Bethesda does from now on labeled Fallout is the TRUE heritage of F1-F2 and tactics, but i don't mind it. :yucky:

5.7 Million? What? I know that's only in American money, but that has to be at least fifteen guineas in proper money.

yes please, someone 'translates' the amount into Euro

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

If SPECIAL isn't used then its not Fallout. That would be like running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS. :yucky:

If you don't like it.

Just.

Don't.

Play.

It.

If it doesn't fit my criteria for a modern Fallout game, I won't.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Atlast! Now its officially sure there will be more Fallout games, and the F3 is already on its way :lol:

And i don't have a problem with Bethesda having it, atleast someone has it, and something will be done.

Besides: After the game is done, out, and patched will i only say if its good or not, if i like it or not. :)

Heh, i guess some people here won't like that anything Bethesda does from now on labeled Fallout is the TRUE heritage of F1-F2 and tactics, but i don't mind it. :yucky:

yes please, someone 'translates' the amount into Euro

4.2 million Euros.

It's good to be a genius.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

If SPECIAL isn't used then its not Fallout. That would be like running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS. :)

If you don't like it.

Just.

Don't.

Play.

It.

If it doesn't fit my criteria for a modern Fallout game, I won't.

You said that about NWN1 and IWD2.

Link please.

that's true, of course. But modders can be pretty resourceful. Look at Oblivion: Modders took what might be the worst skill/leveling system every released in a crpg and made it mostly tolerable.

Fallout fans should be brimming with joy at the prospect of having to shell out money for a potentially bad Fallout sequel as well as the tools to fix it. I don't know about you, but I'm already flying high!

I think this is good news. If Bethesda were to make a Fallout game that has the same kind of bleak world as the original Fallout games, a gripping story, well written creative dialogue and plays like a first person shooter...then heck, i'd be all over that like white on rice. Then again i wouldn't complain if it had turn based combat either. I just don't care. When it comes to game combat my tastes are far and wide. I don't care if it's turn based or real time action. As long as it's polished and fun to play i'll get much enjoyment from it.

My only worry is that Bethesda will somehow dumb the game down to unbearable levels like they did with Oblivion. No silly level scaling please.