Bethesda buys the Fallout IP from Interplay

aVENGER

As of April 4, 2007, the Company entered into, an Asset Purchase Agreement (the "APA") and a Trademark License Agreement (the "License Back") with Bethesda Softworks LLC, a video game developer and publisher ("Bethesda"), regarding "FALLOUT", an intellectual property which was owned by the Company (the "IP"). Although such agreements were signed on April 4, 2007 they were agreed not to be binding until closing which occurred on April 9, 2007.

Under the APA, the Company sold all of its rights to the IP to Bethesda for a total amount of $5,750,000.00 payable to the Company, subject to various conditions, in three cash installments. The first installment of $2,000,000.00 was paid following closing when $200,000.00 was paid to the Company and $1,800,000.00 was deposited into an escrow account to satisfy various liabilities. The Company expects to have fulfilled its obligations under the APA and to receive full payment during the third quarter of 2007. The Company had previously, on June 29, 2004, entered into, an exclusive licensing agreement with Bethesda, regarding the IP which was superseded by the APA.

Under the License Back the Company obtained an exclusive license, under certain conditions, to use the IP for the purpose of developing an Interplay branded Fallout Massively Multiplayer Online Game ("MMOG").

Sources: NMA, DAC, RPGCodex

Deng, only $5,750,000? All us forum jerks probably coulda raised that much! Like, maybe an internet bake sale or something.

that actually would have been interesting, a community developed Fallout 3?

Open Source Fallout.

i admit it would have rocked.

Didnt Bethesda buy the Fallout IP from Interplay years ago? And $5,750,000 is an insane amount, you could develop a brand spanking new AAA Title game for that money.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Didnt Bethesda buy the Fallout IP from Interplay years ago? And $5,750,000 is an insane amount, you could develop a brand spanking new AAA Title game for that money.

Bethesda licensed out Fallouts 3, 4 and 5. Hervey retained the rights to FOOL and everything else, Fallout RTS, Fallout golf shoes, Fallout sanitary napkins, Fallout insulin, all of it. Now Bethesda's got the whole silly burrito.

Chins up, everybody. Hugz & drugz! They can't keep us down!

Does Bethesda suck that much? I didn't think oblivion was halfway bad. And atleast it isn't EA.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Now Bethesda have the rights to do anything they want, such as to bring out a Fallout-based first-person shooter. Hmmm... :down:

I don't feel so much about Fallout, never having got much out of the first two games. I have to imagine how I'd feel if Bethesda bought up the rights to Gabriel Knight and planned to turn it into an 'action-adventure' :x . I think I'd go ballistic.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

This is great news! Now we'll at least see something happen to the franchise. It's not like the market is flooded with post-apocalyptic RPG's already and since Herve was only letting his collection of sewer rats roleplay in the Fallout universe.. this is a good thing.

Oblivion was obviously not a perfect game, but it was good enough for me to spend 100 hours in it. I'm sure I'll enjoy Fallout 3 too, although probably not in the same way I enjoyed the previous Fallouts. I do NOT however think that Bethesda are incapable of making anything but Oblivion with guns. I'm sure they are versatile enough to make Fallout differ enough from the Elder Scrolls.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I disagree Mkreku, but I am not surprised b this development.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So? Now they have nothing of worth.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Hey, I am still asleep, damnit.

While the con of this is that the next Fallout probably wont have very good storytelling, (Unless Bethesda actually improves after Oblivion, which would surprise me since they didn't improve after Morrowind) this has some good possible pros as well.

1. Could it possibly be any worse than Fallout Brotherhood of Steel on consoles? That was so bad most Fallout fans pretend it didn't/doesn't exist. Well it does and I can't imagine a Bethesda Fallout title being worse.

2. If Fallout 3 offers the same modding capability as Oblivion (and it should, using the same engine and all) then we will see some great things from the modding community and fallout fans. Think about it, Fallout remake, tweaks, you name it. If any modding community could be called the heart and soul of a game it would be the Elder Scrolls modding community and if Fallout 3 is moddable the community may migrate and create great things for Fallout 3. They certainly made Oblivion barable and even if Fallout 3 does suck as bad as some people fear, the community may come to the rescue.