JKA v. SW KOTOR

soooo. basically. i think JKA is better then KOTOR because of the combat system. but on the other hand KOTOR has more varieties in the force abilitys and the combat style. what do you guys think?

stealthsig96zx.jpg

I think you're wrong. JKA was a horribly flawed game. The combat was very hit and run against saber-wielding opponents, and the blaster opponents couldn't even hit you unless you stood still for 4 seconds. Everyone else can always jump higher than you, the saber opponents are needlessly hard and there seems to be no end to them. The storyline was just awful. I think everyone had figured it out by the end of the first level. "Hmmm...Now why would the Disciples of Ragnos want to store force energy?". Not to mention that bringing back an ancient Sith Lord would be undermining the whole 'One with the Force' thing. The missions were straightforward enough. "Make your way to X and kill anything that gets in your way".

The only way to make this game remotely acceptable is to ignore SP altogether and download a hardrive worth of mods for that game (which, ironically, is what I'm doing right now).

soooo. basically. i think JKA is better then KOTOR because of the combat system. but on the other hand KOTOR has more varieties in the force abilitys and the combat style. what do you guys think?

combine KOTOR story, explorable worlds, costumizable armor/weapon, NPC party members, lot of dialog with options, many classes,

and combine it with JKA multiple options for players race, colorable clothes, superior combat sytem and THEN we have a GOOD mix.

Include to the mix voice variants for your main character, costumizable character (not just gender and a skin texture), real ability to influence politics and the overall word(s) and the we have a WINNER!

My opinion is that KOTOR IS WAY better in story and anything else than JKA, but JKA had a SUPERIOR battle system and a great encounter with a Rancor, thats why many still play and remember it :brows:

EDIT: yeah combat had its flaw but still it was more exciting than the KOTOR variant, not to mention the great graphics when you used your saber styles, like the two whirling sabres around your head.

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

Kotor is epic, but JKA was just more fun to play.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't see how JA had a better battle system, it was mostly button mashing. I had some fun while playing it, but it's definately not a combat system I want to see anywhere near an RPG, much less KOTOR.

Jedi Academy is easily worse than Jedi Outcast, and much worse than Jedi Knight + Mysteries of the Sith. It looks better than the old games, and has some nice missions, but it doesn't even come close in story, feeling and in some ways even combat.

I'm sorry, but KOTOR is just epic and all around brilliant. The combat was great for the game that it was and is, the graphics were beautiful (Except a couple of those human faces. :)), and the story was fun and entertaining, while still remaining quite engaging and interesting, even though it was sort of a rip off from the movies. But it was a great game over all, something you'd easily play through many times because it was fun to try and change up the story and see how a different viewpoint could change the story. Besides...how do you forget good ol' Jolee Bindo? Or Bastila? Or Carth? Not very easily. Like 'em or hate 'em, you remember them.

KOTOR 2 was better, IMHO, because of the original plot and take of the Force and the whole mythology in it. And then they went ahead and described what Grey Jedi were, which was what made me happy. Instead of being light or dark, you could be grey. And that was a great option to have. It was also another game which is easily playable over and over again. I usually tend to play K2 more than K1 because of the deeper plot and characters that I instantly loved.

JKA...not so much. It'd give it a meh over all.

Guest Accept

Comparing the story of JKA against the story of KotOR is like comparing a bombed ruin with a mansion. ;O

KotOR's story, combatsystem, NPC's, look, look of the box it came in, well, everything pwnz JKA, IMO. :x

Sure, JKA was quite fun. In Multiplayer.

But playing KotOR... Was like some kind of massage. :huh:

How can you even compare KotOR to JKA?

KotOR is an RPG, and has totally different aspects to it, there has nothing in the Star Wars series made like it.

JKA is just another un-needed sequal to just show off some more flashy moves with your lightsaber, with use of the left mouse click.

How can you even compare KotOR to JKA?

KotOR is an RPG, and has totally different aspects to it, there has nothing in the Star Wars series made like it.

JKA is just another un-needed sequal to just show off some more flashy moves with your lightsaber, with use of the left mouse click.

I have couldn't say better.Jedi Academy is outclassed,in my opinion,in every aspect of gaming by kotor : story,NPC and even combat.Multiplayer was not so bad in JKA but it's the only aspect superior to kotor because it doesn't have multiplayer !

The only good things about academy are:

1. The glitch involving getting eaten by a rancor

2. The company (on xbox live, anyway) used to be good, and I met a very important person through multiplayer.

Pain is all mankind is sure to experience.

Somewhere this is a person, who has suffered a thousand planets' pain. Who has suffered pain that would kill a mortal, and still keeps fighting on. The one who reduces our suffering by taking the brunt of it. He is our true saviour.

He is the son of thunder and consolation.

I'd urge anyone that has JKA on PC to download the moviebattles mod (moviebattles.com). It's pretty much converts the entire Multiplayer into a game that's something like half Battlefront and half JKA (the results are just plain awesome). There are about 20+ classes you can choose from and playing certain classes requires actual skill, especially with lightsabers now that blocking isn't automatic or unlimited. The Jedi Temple map is one of the best Star Wars experiences in a game ever (I usually just hide until the rest of my team is taken down).

Seriously, if you thought Battlefront was lacking in some places, then you need this mod.

I'd urge anyone that has JKA on PC to download the moviebattles mod (moviebattles.com). It's pretty much converts the entire Multiplayer into a game that's something like half Battlefront and half JKA (the results are just plain awesome). There are about 20+ classes you can choose from and playing certain classes requires actual skill, especially with lightsabers now that blocking isn't automatic or unlimited. The Jedi Temple map is one of the best Star Wars experiences in a game ever (I usually just hide until the rest of my team is taken down).

Seriously, if you thought Battlefront was lacking in some places, then you need this mod.

I second this! MBII is the only reason why one would keep JA installed. Beaturifull maps (some servers run them in full authentic mode to duplicate the movies as much as possible), combat system completley different to the hack and slash of the JA... sabering actually takes skill to master... parry/stirke/deflect... I tell ya it rox!

But comparing it to KOTOR is ridicolous... like comparing watermellons with grapes... JA isn`t about the uber deep story and KOTOR isn`t about mouse abuse combat... To each his own ppl. It`s not a question of which gamme is better to you it`s a question of which game genre you prefer :)

Two very different games.

I love JKA for the awesome combat.

I love KoTOR for the story.

Also, those of you who think JKA is nothing more than a button masher didn't get used to the combat. There are plenty of tricks, special attacks and timing of slashes. Yeah, you can mash your buttons, but you'll be missing out on some actual combat strategy and tactics.

JKA is just an absolute blast as far as combat goes, and a huge improvement over Jedi Outcast. Nothing beats leaping over an enemy's head and force (lvl 3) pulling them into orbit, then watching as they fall a mile back to the ground. "AAAAAAAAAAGGGH!" Splat!

Outcast was fun. Academy, I couldn't even stand the demo.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Both of the games definitely have their merits, but personally I don't think there's any way you could compare the two of them properly.

Clearly, because one of them is an RPG, and the other one is undeniably more of a button masher. One of them has a totally epic and engrossing story, one of them has a mildly interesting storyline but one that still keeps you interested.

I personally prefer KotOR for the way that you control more of what happens and your actions have a little bit more of a consequence; mainly in the light/dark conversation choices, as well as the force power choices...instead of limited options as in JKA. Although I do like JKA a lot as well, I do sort of see it quite like Counter-Strike in some ways, but you can get a little too much of high paced easy reaction-action slashing-type thing. :S

How in the world could you consider Outcast more fun than Academy? Academy was basically the same game but with even better fighting abilities and tricks. If you were disapointed from a story stand point, I could understand, but from a gameplay standpoint it was a huge improvement to the combat system in Outcast.

How in the world could you consider Outcast more fun than Academy? Academy was basically the same game but with even better fighting abilities and tricks. If you were disapointed from a story stand point, I could understand, but from a gameplay standpoint it was a huge improvement to the combat system in Outcast.

I found the shooting to be far more fun than the lightsabers. From the moment Academy starts, it was lightsaber.

yeah that was annoying. I wish it could have been more guns and less sabers.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Heh, thats funny. THE #1 complaint about Outcast was how long it took to become a Jedi. That is one thing I liked about Academy, you got plenty of guns mixed in with the lightsaber combat and force powers. Could launch a rocket, force push the enemies into it then switch to your saber.

I wish they would make a new Jedi Knight game. I keep thinking of how cool all the force powers would be mixed with rag-doll physics. :ermm:

Heh, thats funny. THE #1 complaint about Outcast was how long it took to become a Jedi. That is one thing I liked about Academy, you got plenty of guns mixed in with the lightsaber combat and force powers. Could launch a rocket, force push the enemies into it then switch to your saber.

I wish they would make a new Jedi Knight game. I keep thinking of how cool all the force powers would be mixed with rag-doll physics. :thumbsup:

Yes, and the number one complaint about SWG was how hard it was to become Jedi until it became how there were too many Jedi.

It seems that audiences just see Jedi and start drooling and knocking over the slower fatter kids without actually seeing what they're grasping for most of the time.

I didnt mind the time it took to become a jedi in outcast, because in the end it was worth it. In academy there isnt really a chance for you to use your other weapons because lightsaber pretty much owns everything, and with the moves you have its practically over powered. Despite the one level were your lightsaber was taken from you and you have to fight your way with the E-11 blaster, it still wasnt set up as good as Outcast's FPS and blaster combat.

Yeah, it needs more blaster moments.

Does anyone remember a dude called Predator or something from Academy xbox live?

Pain is all mankind is sure to experience.

Somewhere this is a person, who has suffered a thousand planets' pain. Who has suffered pain that would kill a mortal, and still keeps fighting on. The one who reduces our suffering by taking the brunt of it. He is our true saviour.

He is the son of thunder and consolation.