Geek Squad gets sued: employee peeks at woman in shower

Bokishi

I don't see how a company is responsible for the lewd actions of one of its employees. The employee did the deed, not the company.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't see how a company is responsible for the lewd actions of one of its employees. The employee did the deed, not the company.

Respondeat superior generally holds that employers are liable for the non-intentional torts of their employees, if they are done within the course of the employment. The charges filed were "fraud, negligent misrepresentation, negligent hiring, invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress." The first three are clearly directed primarily at Best Buy & Geek Squad. The latter two, as intentional torts, are probably directed at the employee alone, although the "negligent hiring" charge, if proven, may put the employers on the hook even for the intentional actions.

That is just silly. The only way I see an employer is to be held responsible in this matter is if the employer told the guy to do this.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

How the hell did he do it with a cell phone? As far as I know, you cant activate the video function of the phone remotely so he had to leave it there with the video running, right? If so, phone video duration capability is at max, what, 30 seconds? So what did he do, go into the bathroom, set it up and turn it on at exactly the instant she was entering the bathroom?

That is just silly. The only way I see an employer is to be held responsible in this matter is if the employer told the guy to do this.

I don't know California law specifically, but I'm guessing that the theory of the suit is that BB & GS promised (expressly or implicitly) that their repair guy was a professional who the customer could safely let into her home without fear that he would do anything untoward.

It's simple.

They can get more money from the company then from the individual.

And, the company will likely wnat to settle to limit the 'bad publicity'.

I'm with Sand. Unles sit cna be proven that the company ordered him to do this; they shouldn't be liable.

Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I hope geek squad burns for this. They are so completely ridiculous I can't stand it. Best buy is just as worse, freakin hate them. Over charge everything, I mean yeah some people are really stupid and should get over charged for stupid crap that they do to their computers but I mean to set up a home network for 2 computers, somehow equates into like $170 or something what kind of crap is that.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

since when do cell phones have little red lights that show they're recording?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

My previous employer (the blind and window place) hired not only illegal immigrants, but since illegals usually can't speak the language well enough to interact with the customers as necessary; he'd also hire known felons since he could pay them less.

I found out that one of my coworkers was a pedophile shortly before I quit. Keep in mind that we'd be going into people's houses, largely unsupervised, oftentimes around their kids. My employer knew this, but since nobody else would hire the guy, he could pay him minimum whereas anybody else he had to pay them more.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

If the company knowingly hired someone with a record or something similar, perhaps I'd see it, but otherwise, no ... sounds like an attempt at a mo' money-grab to me.

Personally, I'd never take a shower with a work dude (or gal) in the house. I take the shower before they arrive, then sit in an adjacent room reading or whatever.

I wouldn't mind knowing how the person's sister got a hold of the man's phone to take the chip out in the first place.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How the hell did he do it with a cell phone? As far as I know, you cant activate the video function of the phone remotely so he had to leave it there with the video running, right? If so, phone video duration capability is at max, what, 30 seconds? So what did he do, go into the bathroom, set it up and turn it on at exactly the instant she was entering the bathroom?

Bluetooth.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I demand to see the video. Otherwise I call shenanigans.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well has anyone else seen the footage?

Or for that matter could they have faked the footage for monetary purposes?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Its easily faked. If all they had is the memory chip, its probably very hard to prove its from his phone. This case would be very easy for Best Buy to win, but they'll likely just settle.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Its easily faked. If all they had is the memory chip, its probably very hard to prove its from his phone. This case would be very easy for Best Buy to win, but they'll likely just settle.

Don't forget that this isn't a criminal case-- the plaintiffs do not have to prove guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt," they just have to prove that it's more likely than not that the plaintiff is liable. And juries do not like the idea of repairmen planting devices to spy on their children. It may not be as easy as you think.

Don't forget that this isn't a criminal case-- the plaintiffs do not have to prove guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt," they just have to prove that it's more likely than not that the plaintiff is liable. And juries do not like the idea of repairmen planting devices to spy on their children. It may not be as easy as you think.

In a civil case its usually the defendant's choice on whether theres a jury or not, so if it did go to court they could just have a judge, who would be less likely to be swayed by their emotions than a jury.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In a civil case its usually the defendant's choice on whether theres a jury or not, so if it did go to court they could just have a judge, who would be less likely to be swayed by their emotions than a jury.

The details depend on state rules, but it is almost always the case that either side can demand that a jury hear the case, provided that certain other criteria (usually a minimum amount in controversy) are met. The jury demand form can usually be attached to either of the initial pleadings in the case (the plaintiff's complaint or the defendant's answer).

My previous employer (the blind and window place) hired not only illegal immigrants, but since illegals usually can't speak the language well enough to interact with the customers as necessary; he'd also hire known felons since he could pay them less.

I found out that one of my coworkers was a pedophile shortly before I quit. Keep in mind that we'd be going into people's houses, largely unsupervised, oftentimes around their kids. My employer knew this, but since nobody else would hire the guy, he could pay him minimum whereas anybody else he had to pay them more.

:) You realise you could have had a quiet word with a journalist about this? That's just revolting.

As for the employee liability, the wole way a company works is that you are accountable for your employees' behaviour while on the job. This is why you have a code of conduct. The flip side, as we kind of see above is where the phone and gas companies hire crack-addled parolees to do your housework. Then deny its anything to do with them if your stuff goes astray.

This is one more reason why selection of personnel is the unassailable primary thing you should look at in any organisation.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Alright, when do we get the footage in question on YouTube? :)

Nothing like partaking in the violation of someone's privacy to set you up for the day? :ermm:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Alright, when do we get the footage in question on YouTube? :)

Nothing like partaking in the violation of someone's privacy to set you up for the day? :ermm:

if they violated their own privacy to pump a business for money I'd watch.

On the subject of hirings, From what I can tell the hirings take place with minimal backround checks. And generally the employer will try to do everything he can to save money (excons and illegals)

I used to work at a cash register with a vietnamese gang member who was convicted of armed Robbery.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Alright, when do we get the footage in question on YouTube? :huh:

Nothing like partaking in the violation of someone's privacy to set you up for the day? :x

if they violated their own privacy to pump a business for money I'd watch.

On the subject of hirings, From what I can tell the hirings take place with minimal backround checks. And generally the employer will try to do everything he can to save money (excons and illegals)

I used to work at a cash register with a vietnamese gang member who was convicted of armed Robbery.

I don't think it was done with law suits in mind. Have I misunderstood?

My question would be whether you would regard a bank employee who steals your cash from your accounts to be a problem for just you or for the bank.

-Elwood Blues