R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

Enoch

It is always sad to see one of the greats go.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

My name is Yon Yonson

I work in Wisconsin

I work in a lumber mill there.

All the people I meet

when I walk down the street

say "Hello, what's your name?" and I say:

My name is Yon Yonson

I live in Wisconsin...

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I should've thought to look for this when I opened the thread:

everythingwasbeautiful.jpg

I was just about to quote: "Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." :D

I hope that sentiment was true for the author.

I was just reviewing his oeuvre, and I don't think I've read any of his work. This I shall rectify immediately.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Or Slaughterhouse Five.

Heja Sverige!!

Like that Bruce Willis one, that came out a few years ago. Breakfast Of Champions?

Heja Sverige!!

Yeah, which should've been obvious, since you can't really transpose that novel's charm onto the big screen. Slaughterhouse-Five was just average and boring (I literally fell asleep half-way through). Mother Night - his third best novel, I think - was kinda competent, though, if I remember correctly, Nolte was emoting in all the wrong places; uh, extrude it from the category of adaptation and you might have a pretty decent film.

Um, yeah,

"I am approaching my fiftieth birthday, Mr. Trout," I said. "I am cleansing and renewing myself for the very different sorts of years to come. Under similar spiritual conditions, Count Tolstoi freed his serfs. Thomas Jefferson freed his slaves. I am going to set at liberty all the literary characters who have served me so loyally during my writing career. "You are the only one I am telling. For the others, tonight will be a night like any other night. Arise, Mr. Trout, you are free, you are free." He arose shamblingly. I might have shaken his hand, but his right hand was injured, so our hands remained dangling at our sides. "Bon voyage," I said. I disappeared.
Edited by Baley

One of my colleagues was telling me that in Breakfast of Champions, Vonnegut introduces each character by describing his member... length, girth, the whole shebang.

I think I was too stunned at such an ... interesting take on exposition to ask the question I now pose to you, Obsidian literatti: Were there no females in this book? And if there were, how did he introduce them?

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

One of my colleagues was telling me that in Breakfast of Champions, Vonnegut introduces each character by describing his member... length, girth, the whole shebang.

Yeah, that's not wholly true - he basically starts touching upon it halfway through; and as far as women are concerned, he details their measurements.

My **** was three inches long and five inches in diameter. Its diameter was a world's record as far as I knew. It slumbered now in my Jockey Shorts. And I got out of the car to stretch my legs, which was another soign
Edited by Baley

Kurt is up in heaven now. :)

p.s. Cat's Cradle, metadigital.

They only have Slaughterhouse Five in my local retarded Waterstones, which I peremptorily surveyed to find that it was a Catch-22 type novel, which caused my enthusiasm for it to wane considerably. (I was expecting them to have Mr Vonnegut's work on sale, to take advantage of the serendipitous marketing event.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT