NFL Season 2007

Kelverin

Slightly OT here. But did anyone catch the Michigan Appalachian State game? I listened to the second half on my Sirius. Wow, talk about an upset.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was a little surprised to see the Jags cut Byron Leftwich. I guess they think Garrard can handle the job. I'm not so sure.

Here are the final roster cuts made today. Not too many surpises. Final Cut Down Day

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Buckeye state is still rejoicing from the Big Blue getting cut down last weekend.

Also, I'm pretty excited for the Chicago/San Diego game. I guess the Bears feel slighted about that Nike commercial that has LT slicing their defense into pieces for a very cinematic touchdown run. Apparently it has become the dreaded "bulletin board material."

As for hometown ball, conventional wisdom has the Steelers mauling the Browns week one. However, no Steelers head coach has won his first game against the Browns... ever!

It's true! The Steelers have had eight head coaches since the turnpike series began in 1950, and all of them have lost their first game against the Browns. So, there's some nice fake drama for a "rivalry game" that Pittsburgh has won in 13 of the last 14 meetings.

LT's Nike spot offends Bears

Nike at first wanted to use New England as the defense LaDainian Tomlinson carved up in his commercial that debuted last month.

Tomlinson told them,

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Also, I'm pretty excited for the Chicago/San Diego game. I guess the Bears feel slighted about that Nike commercial that has LT slicing their defense into pieces for a very cinematic touchdown run. Apparently it has become the dreaded "bulletin board material."

Hehe. I hope the Bears take him down a peg or three. I've crossed over to the darkside this season and accepted a last-minute invitation to join my brother-in-law's fantasy football league. My week 1 opponent's team features Mr. Tomlinson. Plus, it's fun to see Norv Turner's "disappointed" face.

The bears are too good of a team to need a TV commercial to get motivated.

Well, Tony Romo singlehandedly won my week 1 fantasy football matchup for me. Four TD passes, 345 yards, and a rushing TD just because he can.

All hail Romo. Although the fact that the Giants' secondary was just terrible helped a bit.

That was a pretty fun game to watch. Eli played well (even Tiki said so), so maybe the NY media won't rip him to shreds this week.

I read that the Jets fans were cheering when Pennington went down. Classy, guys, real classy. The Browns would love to have Chad Pennington right about now. That program is just doomed. All the optimism from the draft and preseason just evaporated after their first offensive series.

Three and out, then a 15-yard punt, on which the Browns committed FOUR penalties. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2007 Cleveland Browns!

Being a Dallas fan I was equally impressed (offence) and sickened (defence) with last nights performance.

Being a Giants fan, I echo that sentiment.

Really, though, I think that neither of these teams are particularly good. Last night's game is what you get when you have 2 teams with some very good WRs and TEs, decent QBs and OLs, and deeply flawed defenses. Egad, the Giants Linebackers and Safeties couldn't cover their shadows on a cloudy day. And, as bad as the Giants' safeties were in coverage, the ridiculously overhyped Roy Williams was worse. (Hey, at least the Giants are only paying their safeties a few hundred grand a year-- Roy Williams is stealing piles of Jerry Jones' money in return for his craptacular play!)

And I didn't even get to the injuries. You guys lost the only legitimate NT on your team for the season. We lost our best pass-rusher for probably 2 months, our starting RB for at least 3 weeks, and the Battleship U.S.S. Lorenzen actually had to throw a few passes!

Edited by Enoch

Haha, yeah I remember watching Lorenzen play college ball at Kentucky. The guy is a tank. I think I heard the announcers list him as 6'4" and 295 lbs -- numbers more suited to an offensive lineman than a QB. I couldn't believe he was still in the NFL, and then there he was running the Giants offense. He even scrambled once, and slid when a headfirst dive could have got the first down and prolonged the drive.

@ Gfted1:

I'm a Steelers fan in an office full of Browns fans, and let me tell you, this morning's e-mail chain was prolific. That number one pick which is now in Dallas' possession came up a few times, as well.

You'd think I would be gloating today, but most Browns fans have given up on the rivalry (Eight straight losses will do that to you). There wasn't really any office trash-talking, because most of my coworkers expected Sunday's beating. For Browns fans, the burning hatred is still there, but the hope of actually achieving a win against Pittsburgh is completely gone.

Buccaneers, Dolphins, and Jaguars all lost. And lost ugly at that. And the Gators had 4 big injuries on a throw away game against Troy. And Tennessee is looming large next week. What an all around rotten weekend.

Thomas Sowell

That's good news even though injuries suck for those injured. Nobody deserves to suffer pain. But, anything that leads to a higher likelihood of the Giants having a bad season,a nd getting rid of Coach Trash gets the thumbs up from me.

That is all.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's good news even though injuries suck for those injured. Nobody deserves to suffer pain. But, anything that leads to a higher likelihood of the Giants having a bad season,a nd getting rid of Coach Trash gets the thumbs up from me.

That is all.

If your lucky he will take the Offensive coordinator with him, if not... Welcome Kevin Gilbride new Head Coach :lol:

Bad news Giants fans - Eli to miss at least a month with a seperated shoulder and Jacobs out 3-5 weeks with a strained ACL.

The Giants are strenuously objecting to ESPN's report on this matter. (It wouldn't be the first time that Mortensen didn't know what he was talking about.) They maintain that Eli did no major damage, and can play once the pain goes down. Although a "contusion to the A-C joint" is technically a separated shoulder, they say he could be back next weekend. Here's a link to one of the team beat reporter blogs explaining the situation.

The bigger concern is Osi Umenyiora. I think he's the best player on that defense, and he'll likely miss at least a month.

Some really exciting, competitive football this week. Many games were settled in the final seconds.

The defense is way ahead of the offense. Which is normal this time of year.

The AFC is still the best conference, the colts and the patriots appear to be the most dominate teams in the league. Scary good.

Turn overs - There will be a lot of time sent in practice on ball control/handling drills. The ball was all over the place.

Injuries - A ton of injuries, many season and at least one career ending. There were some BRUTAL hits this week.

All in all a great week of football.

34582_600w600h.jpg

Romeo Crennel is clearly following the Bill Belichick Master Plan:

1) Get head coaching job in Cleveland

2) Start a QB controversy

3) Get fired

4) Go back to your old job as your mentor's defensive coordinator

5) Get selected as the next head coach of that team when your mentor retires

6) Quit immediately, and go coach a division rival instead

7) Win 3 Super Bowls.

Steps 1-3 are practically in the bag at this point!

Edited by Enoch

One of the cowboys tore his biceps :ermm: That must of sucked left one

Go Giants!!!!

Retreat, Hell! We're just fighting in another direction!" - General O.P. Smith (North Korea 1950)

"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton, Jr.

One benefit to living in northeast Ohio: my local CBS affiliate gave me the gift of that Browns/Bengals game on Sunday afternoon.

Normally this is a very bad thing, and not something about which you should be excited. But for the first time in years, I actually enjoyed watching a Browns game. After the Steelers made their offense look like the JV team last week, who expected a 51 point explosion?

Hey, maybe the papers will stop blabbering about Brady Quinn for a week!