NFL Season 2007

Kelverin

Green threw for 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons before this last one. This might be a very good pickup for Miami. Sure, it's tough because he's 36, but one bad season doesn't necessarily mean he's out to pasture.
I don't know about anyone else, but he sure looked gun shy after week one's BRUTAL hit. Not sure if he is the same QB, and he sure will not be surrounded by the same offensive line and all the weapons the chiefs had. One of the more interesting story's so far and might explain why the fins went with a WR instead of a QB during the draft. They have always wanted green.

Green threw for 4,000 yards in three consecutive seasons before this last one. This might be a very good pickup for Miami. Sure, it's tough because he's 36, but one bad season doesn't necessarily mean he's out to pasture.
I don't know about anyone else, but he sure looked gun shy after week one's BRUTAL hit. Not sure if he is the same QB, and he sure will not be surrounded by the same offensive line and all the weapons the chiefs had. One of the more interesting story's so far and might explain why the fins went with a WR instead of a QB during the draft. They have always wanted green.

Signing Green is not a substitute for taking a young QB. It's a complimentary move-- ideally Green plays for a season or two before the young guy pushes him to the bench. And the 'Fins did pick up a highly-regarded QB with their second-round pick (Beck from BYU). Miami was probably one of those teams that didn't see much difference between Quinn and the next tier of QBs (Beck, Stanton, & Kolb).

That said, I think that the Ginn pick was dumb. He'll be a great returner for a few seasons, but I don't see him emerging as a good enough receiver to justify the salary that a #9 pick gets. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 5 WRs taken after him end up having better pro careers.

Edited by Enoch

• 1 month later...

Culpepper has been begging for an outright release. Heck the Dolphins would not even let him practice or use the gym at the training camp. But even with a new team he has a long way to go to come back from this kind of injury. Even so, the Dolphins did not treat him well. it was not his fault Saban rushed him back before he was ready.

Vick is just a piece of garbage. Prison is EXACTLY where he belongs.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Prediction: Culpepper ends up in Baltimore, backing up Steve McNair.

As for Vick, I would be pretty shocked if he plays another down in the NFL. For an indictment to come out so quickly, the evidence against him must be pretty strong. Also, this is a federal case, so it's less likely that whatever legal dream team Vick assembles will be able to outmaneuver the U.S. Atty's office doing to prosecuting. He'll be dumped by all his sponsors immediately, and either the Falcons or the League will suspend him shortly thereafter. Some have said a suspension is unlikely because it's Vick's first offense. I doubt this very much, because: 1) He lied directly to the faces of both Falcons owner Arthur Blank and League Commissioner Roger Goddell; 2) There is illegal gambling involved, which the NFL rules are very harsh on; and 3) Various animal rights groups will demand it (not just the PETA freaks-- I'm thinking ASPCA), threatening to boycott NFL sponsors and the Home Depot (which Blank co-founded).

Prediction: Culpepper ends up in Baltimore, backing up Steve McNair.

As for Vick, I would be pretty shocked if he plays another down in the NFL. For an indictment to come out so quickly, the evidence against him must be pretty strong. Also, this is a federal case, so it's less likely that whatever legal dream team Vick assembles will be able to outmaneuver the U.S. Atty's office doing to prosecuting. He'll be dumped by all his sponsors immediately, and either the Falcons or the League will suspend him shortly thereafter. Some have said a suspension is unlikely because it's Vick's first offense. I doubt this very much, because: 1) He lied directly to the faces of both Falcons owner Arthur Blank and League Commissioner Roger Goddell; 2) There is illegal gambling involved, which the NFL rules are very harsh on; and 3) Various animal rights groups will demand it (not just the PETA freaks-- I'm thinking ASPCA), threatening to boycott NFL sponsors and the Home Depot (which Blank co-founded).

Here are two articles detailing the charges in the indictment. Pretty freaking horrifying stuff. I think Goodell will suspend him today.

Shocking Charges

Vick, 3 Others Named in Gruesome Indictment

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Goodell is an idiot either way. He's a punk.

That said, if the charges are proved to be True, Vick most definitely deserves punishment. I'm not the biggest animal lover (though I do like animals); but the accusation are rather sick. Treating animals like that is simply wrong. Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Goodell is an idiot either way. He's a punk.

Yeah, screw Goodell for trying to come up with uniform policies to govern players conduct off the field, where does that guy get off. Just because hes the commissioner he acts like its his job or something. Hes acting like its a priviledge to play in the NFL and not a right. If he keeps this up players might actually have to consider the consequences of their actions before just doing whatever the hell they want, do we not live in a oligarchy?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Godell should worry about being the commisioner of the NFL, and not a judge.

If it wans't for these players; he wouldn't even have a job. The players, and teams make the league successful. The commisioner does not.

Godell is a scumbag.

P.S. NEWSFLASH: Vick hasn't been found guilty yet. Godell should let the law do it's job.

Godell should worry about being the commisioner of the NFL, and not a judge.

If it wans't for these players; he wouldn't even have a job. The players, and teams make the league successful. The commisioner does not.

Godell is a scumbag.

P.S. NEWSFLASH: Vick hasn't been found guilty yet. Godell should let the law do it's job.

We'll just assume that like most everything else you don't really know much about what you're talking about.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

We'll just assume that like most everything else you don't really know much about what you're talking about.

:lol: This thread is over. Nobody is topping that post.

Thomas Sowell

This has been a hobbyhorse for Volo for a while now. He simply believes that the NFL has no business even inquiring about illegal activity by its employees unless there has been a conviction.

This is, of course, an extraordinarily naive viewpoint. If a normal employee at some accounting firm or whatever announced to his supervisors that he had been indicted on federal conspiracy charges, he would be fired (or at least encouraged to take a leave of absence without pay) before the day was out. According to Volo, the NFL shouldn't be allowed to behave in a similar manner, even though its business depends entirely on its perception in the eyes of the general public.

Make it rain, Enoch, make it rain.

"According to Volo, the NFL shouldn't be allowed to behave in a similar manner, even though its business depends entirely on its perception in the eyes of the general public."

If you go 'by the eyes of the public' then they have no reason to suspend or fire him then because everyone knows that a guy like Vick puts people in the seats, and sells a lot of merchandise (which they'll likely continually pocket even if they suspend/fire him). Plus, it should be common knowledge that the public is retarded. These are the same people who immorally bash Bonds yet voted him into the ASG and every time he is at bat - no matter the ball park - take out their camera to take a picture of a potential homerun or beg him for autographs.

The NFL viewing public want one thing - to watch great football with great players which Vick is one. No matter how much they whine about a 'lack of morality'. They don't care about that. Afterall, I wonde rhow many Bengal fans stayed away from their games last year despite thier team being a bunch of criminals.

Sadly, the NFL player has very little power despite the amount of money they make so according to the contracts (which aren't worth their paper they're written on), the elague is within their rights to suspend/fire players for pretty much anything if they so choose.

As opposed to, say, the NBA who fully allowed Kobe Bryant to play the netire season decided being indicted on rape charges which last i checked are rather serious. And, oh, btw, despite the rape charges, Bryant was still a huge draw in the NBA so obviously NBA fans weren't turned off by it. Imagaine if they had suspended him before the trial wasover considering he was found innocent. Imagine if the NFL suspends Vick now, and it later turns out that he is innocent. Talk about poo poo.

That said, don't get me wrong. The more I hear, the more I think Vick is guilty, and if he is, I hope he gets the book thrown at him. I just not rather it be done hastily by the NFL.

That is all.

Edited by Volourn

Volo, you're making the mistake of assuming that all NFL fans and all potential NFL fans view the league the same way as you do. Here's how I addressed this same point when you make it a few months ago with reference to Pac-Man Jones:

It's not entirely about current fans. It's about the current 7-year-old whose mother doesn't like how NFL players behave and thus encourages her kids to watch NASCAR instead. It's also about fans who don't stop watching the NFL, but who are put off a bit by bad behavior such that they're not cheering quite so loud when Pac-man has a good punt return. (And they're certainly not buying his jersey.)

Stuff like this absolutely affects the league's bottom-line. It's difficult to quantify because the effect is spread out over many years, but it's there.

If Vick were to play this season, I would not be at all surprised to see the stadium more than half empty for the Falcons home opener. If the star of my favorite team did what Vick did, I'd rather stay at home than express any public support for his exploits (and you can bet that the Humane Society and the ASPCA would be urging fans and advertisers to do exactly that). And you're certainly not going to see any Purina ads during NFL telecasts.

The Kobe rape case is an interesting contrast, but I don't think it's a good predictor of what would happen if Vick were to play. That was a straight-up "he said she said" case and it was pretty easy for most Kobe fans to dismiss the accuser as a money-grubbing 'ho. There's no one accuser to demonize here, and bloodlust has stronger negative PR consequences than plain old lust.

I forget what (if any) response I had for your long term rpediction. And, while it's true, that you may be right about that, trying to predict the future in such a way is just illogical. It could go either way long term.

That said, I seriously doubt that Falcon attendance will be all that much negatively effected if Vick is playing come opening day. That said, I would not be surprised if the NFL/Falcons suspend him for the season.

And, if they do, if he is found innocent, I hope he sues them for as much as he can.

P.S. I know a certain sect of fans think different than me. Afterall, everyone feels differently about everything.

Bonds from baseball, and Kobe from basketball are just examples.

Remember, Kobe was accused of RAPING a woman, which most people would believe is worse than what Vick is accused of (though, to me, the disgusting aspect of both are just beyond the pale) yet he got to play with not even a hint of a suspension, the NBA continued to make tons of money of him, and life went on. Imagine if the NBA had suspended/fired him and then he was found innocent like he was... WOW!

Of cours,e NBA vs. NFL is the real story here. Players in the NFL have basically no power as their union, comparitively speaking, is rather weak. The NBA would 100% not suspend Vick unless they had no doubts that he committed the acts he's accused of while the moronic commissioner of the NFL might very well do so despite the fact NOTHING has been proven, and he's on some sort of power trip.

• 2 weeks later...
Even a short list of Walsh's adherents is stunning. Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Dennis Green, Sam Wyche, Ray Rhodes and Bruce Coslet all became NFL head coaches after serving on Walsh's San Francisco staffs, and Tony Dungy played for him. Most of his former assistants passed on Walsh's structures and strategies to a new generation of coaches, including Mike Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, Gary Kubiak, Steve Mariucci and Jeff Fisher.

Superbowl titles aside, that is quite a legacy on it's own.

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

Link

Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case

Updated: August 20, 2007, 2:31 PM ET

RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday and lengthy prison sentence to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case that has driven his NFL career to a halt.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Vick attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.

All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.

Other Thread:

I don't think he should be banned for live. He pleaded guilty, and he should get whatever penalty the courts feel he should get as a 1st time convicted felon.

He should be suspended by the NFL for, at minium, whatever the amount of prison time he gets which should start when he gets out. So, if he gets 12 months prison time, he should be suspended for a year. Not a season. An actual calender year.

But, banning him for life is too much. It's his first conviction, and he deserves a second chance. Period.

And, from the NFL's stand point, it only helps them marketing wise to have someone as successful as Vick as he brings in the money and the fan no matter what the judgemental punks think.

As for his crimes, he need psychological help. I'm no huge pet lover (or hater); but the sort of abuse inflicted on these animals is beyond the pail. It's disgusting!