NFL Season 2007

Kelverin

Bledsoe calls it quits

NEW YORK (AP) -- Drew Bledsoe retired Wednesday, ending a 14-year career in which he made two Super Bowls.

Do you think he's Hall of Fame worthy? His numbers clearly are, but it seems like he never realized his full potential. He was occassionally dominant but fell short too often. I guess it doesn't help that he was replaced by Tom Brady, who was a HoF shoe in after 3 seasons.

Hmm.. It's close. Could make an argument either . I'd personally like to see him in; but hmm..

Of course, he should have never lost his job in Dallas this year.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Do you think he's Hall of Fame worthy? His numbers clearly are, but it seems like he never realized his full potential. He was occassionally dominant but fell short too often. I guess it doesn't help that he was replaced by Tom Brady, who was a HoF shoe in after 3 seasons.
Tough to say really. Good passing yards, a part of 2 Super Bowl teams. Too many intercepts for my tastes, however Dan Fouts also threw a lot of interceptions, never went to a Super Bowl, and he is in. So he will make it.

I will always remember the Championship game in Pittsburgh that he won to put New England in the Super Bowl.

Edited by Kelverin

If Bledsoe had entered the league 15 years earlier, he could've been the best QB ever. If he were on a decent team in the 1970s, behind the kind of line you could build and keep pre-free agency, he would've been a god. In the '90s and '00s NFL, though, with its weaker OLs and faster defenses, he was never better than "very good." And he probably hung on a little too long, but at least he's leaving with his health.

I doubt he makes the HoF, simply because he's a hero to nobody. NE fans (and HoF voters) remember his flaws more than his virtues, and his performances in Buffalo & Dallas were all well past his prime.

Although, on the other hand, his blog was hilarious!! :yucky:

Meh. I think it's dumb for the league to interview in legal matters. I say let the alw punish those who commit crimes off the field. I think business who do this are lame. There are cases where an exception can be made.

If they weren't atheltes buyt joe bloke working at a corner store; they likely wouldn't be disciplined by their work at all.. unless the press made a big deal about.

These guys have the right vto work.. until convicted and placed in prison.. and, once they come back out, they should be able to work in their chosen field within reason (obviously convicted child molestors shouldn't be allowed to work with children, duh!).

That doesn't mean I approve of Jone's behaviour; but still...

I think it's great that they are bing held accountable for their behavior. Whether we like it or not, they are role models for many young people. It is a privilege to play professional sports. They make a ton of money playing a game and entertaining people. The league has a moral right to make sure these people they allow to take center stage are upholding a solid character. There is no excuse and no good reason for getting involved in shootings at strip clubs. These players are representatives of not just their teams, but the city they play in and the sport they play.

"I think it's great that they are bing held accountable for their behavior."

They would be. It's called prison time, criminal punishment.

" Whether we like it or not, they are role models for many young people."

No. No, they aren't. Nor should people pretend they are.

" It is a privilege to play professional sports."

No more than any other career.

" They make a ton of money playing a game and entertaining people."

They make a ton of money because they are good enough to play the game, and people are willing to spend money to watch them and the league wants their skills. You don't play professional sports because you are an nice person. If that was true, my grand mother would have been hired within seconds.

" The league has a moral right to make sure these people they allow to take center stage are upholding a solid character."

I say bullocks. 'Moral right'. L0L It's a professional sports league; not a church. They're there to provide entertainment for us fans.

" There is no excuse and no good reason for getting involved in shootings at strip clubs."

Agreed. That's why we have laws, and why there is criminal punishment for when people break those laws.

" These players are representatives of not just their teams, but the city they play in and the sport they play."

*yawn* I want to see the best players play the game. I don't want the leagues to be moral police. I seriously doubt, contrary to popular belief, that having 'bad apples' play in the league will turn customers away. There's a reason why the NFL has been successful for years depite having a small criminal element - it's because people wnat to see the best football players play the game. A real fan doesn't give a crap about someone's behaviour off the field.

I don't think Peyton Manning is the best QB because he's a nice guy. I think he's the best because of his performance on the field.

Keep the morality police to churches, religion, parents, etc. Keep the athletes in the sports.

Edited by Volourn

Volo, it's not about the league enforcing morality, it's about public relations. Companies selling entertainment to the public fire/suspend/discipline people all the time for actions that don't come remotely close to a criminal conviction. You might be of the opinion that off-the-field conduct doesn't affect the entertainment value of the product, but the NFL, it's advertisers, and the vast majority of the fans disagree with you. It dimishes the product if, every time a highlight reel plays on the evening news, the commentator mentions that the featured player is under investigation for some criminal activity. It may not affect what you call "real fans," but it certainly discourages potential fans from developing an interest in the sport.

My only complaint about the penalties given to Jones & Henry is that, by comparison, the steroid & drug use penalties are far too lenient.

Except the fact ther eis no real evidence that shows incidents like these actually hurt the NFL in terms of popularity, financess, and success.

It be more understandable if stuff like this was actually hurting the NFL bottom line; but it isn't.

Seriously, is there anyone who likes the NFL who would stop watching the NFl simply because Jones is bad guy? No, very doubtful. Maybe a very, very small number.

Also, accoridng to Hurlshot, it *is* about morality.

Edited by Volourn

Seriously, is there anyone who likes the NFL who would stop watching the NFl simply because Jones is bad guy? No, very doubtful. Maybe a very, very small number.

It's not entirely about current fans. It's about the current 7-year-old whose mother doesn't like how NFL players behave and thus encourages her kids to watch NASCAR instead. It's also about fans who don't stop watching the NFL, but who are put off a bit by bad behavior such that they're not cheering quite so loud when Pac-man has a good punt return. (And they're certainly not buying his jersey.)

Stuff like this absolutely affects the league's bottom-line. It's difficult to quantify because the effect is spread out over many years, but it's there.

Er, the NFL has a Code of Conduct that every single NFL player must adhere to and is written into every contract. In addition to that, each team has a sub Code of Conduct that covers things the former does not that may be specific to the team. It doesnt matter whether its "moral" or not. Every player under contract is aware of the code and signs their name on the line saying they will uphold said code. By breaking the terms of the code they are putting themselves in the line of fire for santions being placed on them.

" Whether we like it or not, they are role models for many young people."

No. No, they aren't. Nor should people pretend they are.

Volourn, I hate to throw out the whole "I work with children" argument, but, uh, I work with children every day. Young boys look up to these athletes. I'm not saying it's right, it is just a fact. Didn't you have to sit through the whole "What makes a good role model" assembly when you were a kid?

Sure, i did. And, I ignored it 'cause it was stupid. I remember having debates about it in Ethics class. The bottom line is if someone using an athlete as a moral role model (as opposed to a more legit athletic role model); it's just beyond silly and a failing amongst parents, teachers, and other authorities who ar esupposed to set the exmaple for kiddies.

They're professional athletes whose job is to play sports and entertain the masses. That's it.

Sure, i did. And, I ignored it 'cause it was stupid. I remember having debates about it in Ethics class. The bottom line is if someone using an athlete as a moral role model (as opposed to a more legit athletic role model); it's just beyond silly and a failing amongst parents, teachers, and other authorities who ar esupposed to set the exmaple for kiddies.

They're professional athletes whose job is to play sports and entertain the masses. That's it.

I agree with you completely. But that, unfortunately, does not make it a reality.

I think Carr will find his way back to being a starter eventually. Carolina is probably a good spot, as Delhomme isn't really established as a solid number #1. Carr took a lot of punishment in Houston, but he did manage a few remarkable wins.

Chiefs Gaurd Will Shields Retires

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2838586

"A 12-time Pro Bowl performer and certain candidate for Hall of Fame honors, Shields made the announcement of his retirement on his Web site on Sunday evening.

In 14 seasons, Shields never missed a game, and he failed to start only one contest, his first regular-season outing, as a rookie in 1993. He is one of only four NFL players since the merger in 1970 to start more than 200 straight games."

Chiefs Gaurd Will Shields Retires

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2838586

"A 12-time Pro Bowl performer and certain candidate for Hall of Fame honors, Shields made the announcement of his retirement on his Web site on Sunday evening.

In 14 seasons, Shields never missed a game, and he failed to start only one contest, his first regular-season outing, as a rookie in 1993. He is one of only four NFL players since the merger in 1970 to start more than 200 straight games."

Huge blow to KC's offense. I pity the poor fool who picks LJ high in his fantasy draft, expecting a repeat of last years' numbers.