recommendations

rokor

okay well basically. Im a 13 year old boy who loves games.I can already make maps and such for some of my multiplayer games. I think it would be really cool if i could learn how to make games and put stuff on the market. I was just wondering. What should i do? Are there websites or something that can help me reach my goal of becoming a game designer/maker or whatever. :thumbsup: basically i am asking for some help, websites, advice, things to help me become successful in the world of gaming.

stealthsig96zx.jpg

http://creators.xna.com/

A good place to get started.

If you're searching for an easier way to get started you could try...

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/

or

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

but there is also...

http://www.garagegames.com/

Choice is yours.

You could also try your hand at making modules for Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, or The Eldar Scrolls 3 or 4 (Morrowind & Oblivion).

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

ive tried the whole morrowind and oblivion thing.but i just didnt get it. ive only really been able to make maps for star wars jedi academy. but thx for the sites. ill give em a look.

stealthsig96zx.jpg

The members of the communities (Morrowind, Oblivion, even NwN(2)) will be more than welcoming to your questions (everyone was a n00b once, after all) and they are your best lead to learning the skills.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, if you're shooting for a design position, showing that you know your way around game editors and toolsets would no doubt be a huge boon. Morrowind, Oblivion, and NWN1 & 2 all would be good choices to dig into if you're interested in creating RPGs. NWN1 may be the easiest to learn and begin from scratch with. Try to find tutorials where you can, and use those. There's a wealth of information on the web, if you know where to look.

Here are a few links...

NWN1 tutorials

Official Oblivion construction set wiki [ here is the Tutorials section ]

NWN2 tutorials

Also, since you're young, I'd recommend taking some beginning programming classes in high school. Knowing at least basic coding would no doubt come in handy in a lot of design positions.

You may also want to learn about modelling and art creation at some point as well. I think, perhaps even moreso than programmers and artists, designers benefit from having a holistic grasp of game development.

Edited by Schazzwozzer

Also, since you're young, I'd recommend taking some beginning programming classes in high school. Knowing at least basic coding would no doubt come in handy in a lot of design positions.

You may also want to learn about modelling and art creation at some point as well. I think, perhaps even moreso than programmers and artists, designers benefit from having a holistic grasp of game development.

QFT. One of the best things for a designer i think is the ability to look at all sides of development, so that their view is rational. Knowing some programming languages goes a long way.

Also, you probably want to study LOTS of games. Even the crappy games have the ONE concept that made the publisher and developer think that the game would be a good idea.

I would also say read a lot. Maybe even a lot of history. A lot of good designers i have met originally majored in history, and a lot of the games that people think are new and inventive are old mythological stories or events of the past. It adds a sense of realism to every story.

If you more into just making the areas and building the levels, i agree with Schazzwozzer that building levels for NWN, NWN 2, or Oblivion is a good idea. But those are more for RPG's. You can build levels for Half-Life/Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, etc if you are into the FPS genre. Its good that you are young and are actively attempting to learn as much as possible.

*Note - this is stuff that i learned while working with the fine folks at Obsidian. My info is nowhere near as valuable as J.E. Sawyer or Chris Avellone's, but i like to believe that I've learned a thing or two! :)

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...