Idiots climing Everest.

Gorgon

What on earth posesses people to climb Everest , the mountanside and the dead zone, the last stretch before the summit, are littered with over 200 dead, some clearly visible to the climbing paths. You stand a good chance of losing at least a couple of toes, worse case your feet. There have been many reports of people leaving other climbers to their deaths so they could reach the summit.

There a queues of people all cluttering around the dead zone creating traffic jams, and there is no guarantee that you can get off before frosbite sets in.

Buy a ****ing porshe instead morons.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The real shame is that the rich people spend $60k to helicopter into base camp with a team of Sherpas waiting to help them climb the last bit of the mountain with their tons of gear.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The real shame is that the rich people spend $60k to helicopter into base camp with a team of Sherpas waiting to help them climb the last bit of the mountain with their tons of gear.

It's called "evolution"... :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, that doesn't really work. Base camp is still a long way from the summit. You have to train and be in decent shape to summit any of the 8kers in the Himalayas. I've read a couple books on the subject, "Into Thin Air" and "No Shortcuts to the Top" are pretty much the best on the subject. Everest is actually not the hardest of the 8kers, it's just the tallest. But it's all about the weather up there, difficulty doesn't mean anything when a storm blows through.

Sherpas are genetically different than the average joe. Their blood needs less oxygen. I just think that's awesome.

As to what drives people to summit mountains, I don't think there is a good answer to that. It's like a spiritual calling. Personally, anytime I see something really tall, I want to find a way to climb it. It's just a compulsion. It usually feels great when I make it. I've been looking at climbing Mount Shasta, but I can't convince anyone to go with me.

Eh, its the "call of the wild" so to speak. Conquering natures biggest and baddest has always driven man and while there is a much higher probability of death climbing Everest, is it really that much different from skydiving, cave diving, racing Formula cars, etc...?

Actually it's probably safer than cave diving since you cannot even get to base camp without SOME ability as a climber. A lot of idiots die in caves who did not have the the knowledge of more importantly the equipment to go in. The difference is, in cave diving there is nothing to keep them out. My ex-brother-in-law is a rescue diver for the Lake County Sheriffs Dept in north FL. It was his job to go find the bodies of the aforementioned idiots.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was once pushed out of a really tall tree.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eh, its the "call of the wild" so to speak. Conquering natures biggest and baddest has always driven man and while there is a much higher probability of death climbing Everest, is it really that much different from skydiving, cave diving, racing Formula cars, etc...?

Actually it's probably safer than cave diving since you cannot even get to base camp without SOME ability as a climber. A lot of idiots die in caves who did not have the the knowledge of more importantly the equipment to go in. The difference is, in cave diving there is nothing to keep them out. My ex-brother-in-law is a rescue diver for the Lake County Sheriffs Dept in north FL. It was his job to go find the bodies of the aforementioned idiots.

Just the idea of cave diving gives me the willies. I recently watched a Discovery channel thing on cave diving, and to me, its unbelievably scary looking. Total darkness, only a thin string showing the way back and the inability for people to tell "which way is up" in that environment. *shudder*

I was once pushed out of a really tall tree.

It was Aram!

I once ran face first into a really tall tree.

But in terms of the question ... one can try and rationalize reasons, but there really aren't any rational explanations for why people like risks (of any kind, short or long term).

I tend to agree that it's not that much different than wanting to race cars and jump off cliffs or parachute etc. The risks are different, but the urge is the same. What kind of risks one prefers is individualistic. Me, if forced to choose, I'd rather climb a mountain and freeze than do anything where I might drown, say. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I could quote Kipling on the need for risk takers, but frankly it's all down to monoamine oxidase. Low levels are associated with risk taking behaviour.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Because...IT IS THERE!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I could quote Kipling on the need for risk takers, but frankly it's all down to monoamine oxidase. Low levels are associated with risk taking behaviour.

Rousseau made that point, too.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't feel compelled to climb mountains. However, if there is a big craggy rock I almost always compulsively crawl my way up.

As for the people who tackle Everest, I have no idea why they do it, but there must be some kind of allure for them to risk their lives.