The Music Thread

LadyCrimson

Paul Ruskay - Bridge of Sighs

I need to get Homeworld 2.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The problem I have encountered with people who like their new album is that I don't know what others to recommend them. It pretty much blends the different styles encountered in "The Lonesome Crowded West", "The Moon & Antarctica" and "Good News For People Who Love Bad News".

I usually end up recommending Good News For People Who Love Bad News because that's how I first got into them, and is probably the most accessible. The Moon & Antarctica is the most well-reviewed and generally considered the best, whereas The Lonesome Crowded West is probably their weirdest, most spiteful work.

Hey, thanks for that suggestion for Good News. I checked it out, and it's really quite good; basically more of what is on WWDBtSES, which is excellence. Blame It On The Tetons is beautiful.

Modest Mouse- One Chance

Edited by Draken

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Hell of a Hat

Oh yeah, I just went all ska-core on you. Yes, I own this CD. Yes, I know ska isn't cool anymore, and there's a vocal faction who believes it was never cool in the first place. I still think the Bosstones are great, and I absolutely love this video. The world needs more sushi/karaoke bars.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Friend of mine is a self-described skaficionado, so I naturally became a big fan of the Bosstones and related acts. Gotta say, Let's Face It is really great.

R.E.M.- The Great Beyond

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

Isn't stuff like first wave ska still considered cool? - And like, isn't there sort of a resurgence in old country music's popularity? And isn't jazz still the hipster's dish of choice? (I don't mean to insinuate that all jazz listeners are hipsters, of course.) God, do I digress; uh old music is sipped once more... I think that was my point, originally.

Brother Ali - Truth Is.

Edited by Baley

Isn't stuff like first wave ska still considered cool? - And like, isn't there sort of a resurgence in old country music's popularity? And isn't jazz still the hipster's dish of choice? (I don't mean to insinuate that all jazz listeners are hipsters, of course.) God, do I digress; uh old music is sipped once more... I think that was my point, originally.

Brother Ali - Truth Is.

Yeah, the third-wave is the "uncool" one. That ska revival in the mid-90s that made the Bosstones, No Doubt and Reel Big Fish into superstars. Well, No Doubt would have been superstars anyway because of Gwen Stefani's bare midriff. Real outlaw country music like Waylon, Willie and Cash will never go out of style while poseurs like Toby Keith are still making hit records ... but I'll stop before I go on a rant.

I'm listening to "Pick Up the Change" by Wilco.

And because he's announced the new solo album is dropping June 5, and I hear he's covering "Zero Chance" on the new tour...

Chris Cornell -

(Led Zep cover)

The Afghan Whigs- If I Were Going

Drabs or Kor: have you heard Dulli's solo album Amber Headlights? If so, is it worth purchasing?

I've got it. It's good, but not quite up to par with his other work. It's also only nine songs, about 35 minutes. That said, it's some of the sleaziest music he's ever recorded, second to 1965, which is filthy. So filthy that I once had the pleasure of watching a young lady (presumably earning money for student loans or textbooks) do some rather acrobatic dancing (of the exotic variety) to "Somethin' Hot."

The story with Amber Headlights is that Greg was writing these songs and then he shelved them when his friend died. However, he uses a lot of the better hooks and themes on his next record, Blackberry Belle. As it stands, you're better off getting 1965 or Blackberry Belle.

I believe I uploaded a track from Amber Headlights onto the OE gallery many moons ago. Yep.

Edit: hey, I forgot to post what's spinning in my CD player...

B00004THKW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by Darth Drabek

First time I saw that I thought it was scariest **** ever. Not anymore, but still creepy and...distracting :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Real outlaw country music like Waylon, Willie and Cash will never go out of style while poseurs like Toby Keith are still making hit records ... but I'll stop before I go on a rant.
You know, I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Toby Keith tune.

Jello and The Melvins - Kalifornia Uber Alles.

You know, I'm pretty sure I've never heard a Toby Keith tune.

Jello and The Melvins - Kalifornia Uber Alles.

sigh...

"we'll put a boot in yer ass, it's the american way!"

Here's a much less jingoistic one from his earlier years. I didn't mind him back then, with his Def Leppard-esque backing vocals and fantastic mullet. Oh, and I loved the shootout in that video. Gives Eastwood a run for his money, that's for sure.

By the by, is that version of Kalifornia Uber Alles much different than the DK one?

Right now: Uncle Tupelo - No Depression

Here's a much less jingoistic one from his earlier years. I didn't mind him back then, with his Def Leppard-esque backing vocals and fantastic mullet.

Yeah, well, that really is a glorious mullet. Of course, it all just reminds me of that Dolly Parton|Sly Stallone joint venture. (I'm a wretched human being.)

By the by, is that version of Kalifornia Uber Alles much different than the DK one?

Hah, for starters he sings parts of it in this mock-Schwarzenegger accent, and the lyrics are altered to reflect both what Biafra perceives as the more immediate threats (Enron-like firms, Abu-Ghraib, etc.) and Schwarzenegger's film career. Also "girly men".

D'you ever hear that Lounge version the DK did with Reagan as the new villain? We've Got A Bigger Problem Now.

Talib Kweli - Get By (that's where your second link's more from this user lead me).