Is this really that different than the Muhammad drawings?

kumquatq3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070330/ap_en_ot/chocolate_jesus

NEW YORK - A planned Holy Week exhibition of a nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ was canceled Friday after Cardinal Edward Egan and other outraged Catholics complained.

The "My Sweet Lord" display was shut down by the hotel that houses the Lab Gallery in midtown Manhattan. Roger Smith Hotel president James Knowles cited the public outcry for his decision.

The reaction "is crystal clear and has brought to our attention the unintended reaction of you and other conscientious friends of ours to the exhibition," Knowles wrote in the two-paragraph cancellation notice.

Matt Semler, the gallery's creative director, resigned in protest.

The six-foot sculpture was the victim of "a strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing," Semler said. "They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions."

But word of the confectionary Christ infuriated Catholics, including Egan, who described it as "a sickening display." Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."

Continued in link

Anyways, in light of the Muhammad cartoons, I found this kinda funny

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070330/ap_en_ot/chocolate_jesus

NEW YORK - A planned Holy Week exhibition of a nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ was canceled Friday after Cardinal Edward Egan and other outraged Catholics complained.

The "My Sweet Lord" display was shut down by the hotel that houses the Lab Gallery in midtown Manhattan. Roger Smith Hotel president James Knowles cited the public outcry for his decision.

The reaction "is crystal clear and has brought to our attention the unintended reaction of you and other conscientious friends of ours to the exhibition," Knowles wrote in the two-paragraph cancellation notice.

Matt Semler, the gallery's creative director, resigned in protest.

The six-foot sculpture was the victim of "a strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing," Semler said. "They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions."

But word of the confectionary Christ infuriated Catholics, including Egan, who described it as "a sickening display." Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."

Continued in link

Anyways, in light of the Muhammad cartoons, I found this kinda funny

Fanaticism is the new Stupid.

I mean come on. Lighten up you tight a$$ Christians(not all of you, just the tight a$$ ones).

I do think that it is no different than the Muhammad drawings, and the Christians who objected to this acted with great restraint compared to their Islamic counterparts.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

My goodness, many thanks, Sand. I appreciate the fact that you saw the distinction. It's a christian's right to peacefully protest this candy. On the other hand, it's candy. I wouldn't think too much of it. However, we MUST acknowledge the difference between voicing outrage in a peaceful manner and burning down embassies.

Ha! better to be so called "strong armed" by people able to muster public support than to be killed. Christians have a right to respond just as much as someone has the right to create a candy Christians find offensive.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If one professes to belong to a religion of peace, one should act on what is offensive with peace and not with violence otherwise one betrays the tennets they hold dear which is a far greater offense than anything else in this world.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I am drinking creme soda and having a BLT with Swiss cheese. I am feeling... content. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Anyway, back on topic shall wel. I wonder what they did with the chocolate jesus afterwards. Did they eat it?

:thumbsup:

Anyway, back on topic shall wel. I wonder what they did with the chocolate jesus afterwards. Did they eat it?

They should've made cranberry juice run through his vein, so they could drink his blood as well.. that would've completed the sculpture and symbology.

It would be so much sweeter to remember Jesus this way.

Fortune favors the bald.

If I created this I would not have made him nude. I would have the loin clothe made out of taffy or licorious.

Are they angry because he was sculpted nude or because he was sculpted in chocolate? :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Both I think.

I think this is very silly. :thumbsup:

But the christians do have a huge lead over the muslims when it comes humour.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

No it's not the same as the Mohammed cartoons, with those several countries imposed trade sanctions and there were riots and embassies burned, all because of what one newspaper had decided to print.

You know how they say that freedom of speech is not a licence to insult and provoke, well thats baloney, if you cut through all the rethoric and have to define freedom of speech, thats exactly what it is, and thank god there are still artists who still use it and haven't been entirely cowered by fear of lawsuits. As for the victims of the provocations, well, they just need to grow thicker skin and stop taking themselves so seriously.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'd rather have a giant cream-filled chocolate Buddha. That fat bastard looks like he was made to be eaten.

They could make a Mohammed too, but then some bearded dudes somewhere would hear that he was filled with coconut when the real Mohammed hated coconut, and they'd suicide bomb the Hershey factory.

Honestly, I don't know why church groups aren't all for this. If Christ could transubstantiate the essence of his body and soul into bread and wine for his disciples, he could certainly do so with chocolate. They should adopt the Chocolate Savior immediately-- think of what would happen to church attendance when the Eucharist offering is switched from stale crackers to chocolate candies!!

Of course, such an approach would be rife with theological debate. Was Our Lord dark chocolate, or milk chocolate? Did he have nuts, or pralines, or creamy nougat? I could foresee many papal pronouncements on the mixing of the Blessed Savior with heathen peanut butter...

Edited by Enoch

You got your Savior in my peanut butter! You got your peanut butter on my Savior! :thumbsup:

You got your Savior in my peanut butter! You got your peanut butter on my Savior! :thumbsup:

Sand, this was quite funny, you blasphemous bastard. :D

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On occasion I do form some sort of wit. :thumbsup: