Idea -- TOTSC-style expansion for NWN2

Tasaio

Greetings,

I made this same suggestion on the Bioware forums. Basically, make an expansion that restores cut content to the existing campaign. It shows enough promise that it could end up being between BG1 and BG2 in its scope.

Some commented that the game is already too linear to implement more quests, but I disagree. With a city like NW, there are all sorts of potential sources for sidequests:

- NWN1 plot characters (Daelan, Aarin Gend)

They could even have Grimgnaw's ghost appear and guide Khelgar in his becoming a monk. :down:

- NWN1 locations (the Academy, the Source Stone chamber, the Beggar's nest)

- more quests involving the war b/w the Shadow Theives and the Watch

- Callum could give you several more quests at Old Owl Well

- West Harbour (Daeghun, etc.)

- Helm's Hold is perfect for a NWN2 version of Watcher's Keep (it's even run by helmites). You could speak with Desther's ghost.

I just don't want to see Team Gizka (maybe Team Beholder?) restore the cut content again. :o

Well, theres at least one upside. If something like team gizka wanted to restore cut content to NWN2 it would be a lot easier to script and such, what with the toolset and all. Won't take 3 years ;)

I was kinda disappointed with the size of Neverwinter. It didn't seem large enough to be a real city.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I woant to see a full sized city. From the lowliest depths of the sewers and catacombs to every street corner there is. A full sized living city would be awesome!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't think the cut content from NWN2 stayed on the discs that got sent out. Kotor2 was rather unusual in that regard, in that so much of the cut content seemed still to be available - hence Team Gizka. Besides, as the Obsidian people are forever saying, every game has content that's cut - for whatever reason - during the development process. It's normal.

I think the end of NWN2 was such that it demands a continuation of the story, preferably with the same character and some of the same NPCs. That would entail epic levels, which would be an attractive selling point for an expansion pack. If they also take the time to 'enhance', not 'restore', content to the basic NWN2 campaign (using some of the stuff from the cutting room floor), that would be another positive feature that I'd value. Casavir's content and/or Luskan seem to be mentioned a lot, so why not please the fans and go with that?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, what I really like to see is the cut material brought in and the campaign retooled that at the end you are not level 20 or close to it. More around level 13 to 15, then have material that deals wit the aftermath which brings you to level 20 in full, with a second expansion dealing with epic levels.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, what I really like to see is the cut material brought in and the campaign retooled that at the end you are not level 20 or close to it. More around level 13 to 15, then have material that deals wit the aftermath which brings you to level 20 in full, with a second expansion dealing with epic levels.

That is exactly my thought. If they were to restore cut content, there'd be extra XP to consider.

Moreover, hitting level 20 didn't seem all that special. For one thing, the OC was too easy (I played puppet mode on Very Difficult). They really, really need to implement the IWD death system. :p

Personally, I would have preferred it if the NPCs didn't automatically level up to your PC's level, when placed in your party. Part of the fun of BG2 was being able to take different NPCs on different quests -- using different quests to level up different characters.

Having a party of mismatched levels just adds more personal flair to the game.

- - -

My apologies if it seems arrogant to assume things about game-making...

But I would also think it's better, economically, to do a TOTSC expansion. Using existing resources to insert areas would be that much easier than designing all-new interiors or tilesets.

Also, many people have expressed their dissatisfaction with the heads and hairstyles. If, to that end, OE added new heads and hairstyles, then most players would probably wish to start over, with a new char...this time with a good head. :sorcerer:

Edited by Tasaio

Would it really be impossible to create new heads for the characters? I appreciate the engine might prevent Oblivion-style freedom in editing features, but triple the choice of faces and hairstyles and I think people would be happier.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I woant to see a full sized city. From the lowliest depths of the sewers and catacombs to every street corner there is. A full sized living city would be awesome!

That or another Durlag's Tower dungeon adventure.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

The NPC heads were built with hair integrated into the head mesh. It's not a separate piece as it is for PCs.

The heads that currently exist certainly can be modified, but getting them to look good would be a solid amount of work. That said, I've seen some pretty nice new PC heads recently. Knowing how to use the engine and having features fixed helps. :)

The NPC heads were built with hair integrated into the head mesh. It's not a separate piece as it is for PCs.

The heads that currently exist certainly can be modified, but getting them to look good would be a solid amount of work. That said, I've seen some pretty nice new PC heads recently. Knowing how to use the engine and having features fixed helps. :)

Hi Mr. Sawyer >_< ,

Are you referring to community-made new heads, or official new heads?

(At last, I shall fool him into revealing the expansion...MUHAHAHAHAHAH...)