Video Files Doing Weird Things!

Elven6

Hey, for some reason when I open a AVI file, or am in the same folder as one I get the "Windows Encountered a Error" box, the send/don't send error report thing, and things when explorer crashes and restarts. Im currently running Windows XP.

I experience the same thing, it has something to do with the particular codec, when explorer tries to show the first frame. But I've never been able to find out exactly why it crashes.

If I change the codec the error stops.

Fortune favors the bald.

I've had my arguments with Media Player not playing video files as it should, and got fed up with trying to second-guess which codec may/may not make it work. Since then I've used VLC player (freeware) which plays everything I throw at it. Perfectly. I'd recommend that as the simplest solution to not being able to play files--it doesn't need much space or processor, and it doesn't take four years to start up. I doubt that will solve your explorer problem, though.

Edited by kalimeeri

Well I have the latest version of Nero Player and Windows Media Player, it does this on all programs, at times explorer crashes and it may play the file but thats 50/50. It hasen't happened to me before, only when I reinstalled Windows, I sent in numerous error reports but MS hasn't done anything about it.

There are a number of reasons this could happen (shell extensions, a codec fight, even icon handling). If you haven't already, check Event Viewer to see if Windows will give you any hints as to what its glitch is.

(If you're in thumbnail view for your explorer window, changing to a standard/detail view might stop the crashing when you open the window. The avi files themselves still might not play, though.)

The only way I can stop it from crashing is changing the codec. If I use small icons explorer won't crash when I overview the files, but will still do it when I highlight or play the files.

I use VLC as well, but without changing the codec, the problem still remains on my computer.

Fortune favors the bald.

Combined Community Codec Pack (cccp) is the best. VLC doesn't even compare. And I say this never having used VLC player. :brows: But CCCP plays every obscure file type I have ever come in contact with.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Combined Community Codec Pack (cccp) is the best. VLC doesn't even compare. And I say this never having used VLC player. :brows: But CCCP plays every obscure file type I have ever come in contact with.

Changing the player won't solve this problem. It's a conflict/issue that lies within Windows Explorer.

Fortune favors the bald.

I have some problems with my codecs as well. Often, when I play movie files, I get a lot of skipping, and it often freezes. This happens no matter what player I use, whether VLC or WMP.

I think Ive got some sort of codec that is screwing things up. The following are the codecs I have:

cinepak codec by radius inc

ffdshow.ax

indeo codec by intel

indeo video 5.10

ir41_32.ax

iyuv_32.dll

microsoft mpeg-4 video codec

microsoft rle codec

microsoft video 1

msh261

msh263

msyuv.dll

tsbuv.dll

Can anyone who has VLC media player and windows media player tell me which of these codecs they do not have on their codec lists, so I can uninstall them?

This problem is really making my life hell..... Im thinking of just uninstalling all the ones with names that dont make sense.

Thats why you should read my posts and use CCCP. But you know whatever if you don't want to thats cool, keep having media problems I don't care. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Thats why you should read my posts and use CCCP. But you know whatever if you don't want to thats cool, keep having media problems I don't care. :'(

Im using that now, but only about 50% of the files work compared to the 100% that worked with Klite

Hmm are you sure. I used to use Klite myself and I moved to CCCP player which uses windows media player classic. Sometimes you have to change the options to get some things to work but it really matters what kind of file type it is. If it's like .ogg or .mkv and has like subtitles then you might have to change the render options and stuff but if its regular files theres no reason it shouldn't work.

Edit: If you ask me it's probably not even your player (windows media player blows first off but classic is infinitely better) but as long as you unistall klite and any other codecs youve installed it's probably the file you downloaded could be a problem.

Edited by theslug

The only way I can stop it from crashing is changing the codec. If I use small icons explorer won't crash when I overview the files, but will still do it when I highlight or play the files.

I use VLC as well, but without changing the codec, the problem still remains on my computer.

Mind you, I don't do video work--that's my daughter's realm, and she's welcome to it. I once got myself into such deep crapola with installing/uninstalling codecs (when I couldn't play a file she made) that I had to reformat and reinstall. They argued with each other, no matter what priority I set; they bothered some game FMV's; and the system was a slug. I now run WinXP Pro SP1 straight out of the box--no SP2, no WMP10, Xvid, Divx or (Nine Divines save me) FFDshow, not no more--and everything works. I've never even brought up Media Player, or not willingly or on purpose. But for the record, I do routinely disable the Indexing service.

When you click a large AVI file (for example, when you click a 700-megabyte [MB] AVI file) in Windows Explorer, Windows tries to query the index of the file. If there is no index information in the file, Windows performs a loop to check all portions of the file to build the index.

Explorer's default action when you open a window that contains them is to scan the files in an attempt to build a thumbnail 'preview'. Multiple or large files can consume 100% processor and hang the system, not even talking about the possibility of a corrupt file or file name it doesn't like. Since it 'locks' the file during this process, if it crashes the file stays locked--and you find yourself with a file you can't rename or delete without going to command prompt.

Supposedly MS fixed this bug, but it is something to think about; the problem you're having does sound more like a Windows problem than anything else. Or a third-party program dll is interfering (I've found versions of Nero's Showtime problematic). I'd also pay particular attention to whether it's a specific type of encoding that's giving it fits, but that's kinda hard to do if it's crashing all the time. (Certain releases of add-on codecs have conflicts and may need updating). But like I said, not going there with the codecs--lots of advice out there championing one over another, if you want to listen. I don't do encoding, and don't need them. :(