Great news from Feargus

"Finally, I should probably talk about the twin gorillas in the closet. I'm sure there's a correct analogy in there somewhere, but that's what came to mind. Anyway, I'm speaking of the KotOR3 and Fallout gorillas. Both of those are games that I and everyone else here at Obsidian would love to make. I don't know if we will ever get the chance, but I do continue to talk with LucasArts about what might be going on with KotOR3. As for Fallout, like I said, I'm not sure if we'll ever get the chance, but I know that I'd love to make another Fallout - plus, I think Avellone's already designed the next 12 of them."

Not only am I happy to hear that Obsidz is still actively looking into the issue of sequels to a couple of my favorite series, but the following little tidbit really perked my interest.

"I know a lot of people around here love 40K, so I was thinking of talking to THQ at some point about whether they would like to a 40K game that is more RPG than RTS."

I consider all that good news.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=41584

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Since Fallout is in Bethesda's hands, I don't see Obsidian getting to do much with it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's good to see that Feargus still has the same interest in making KotOR III as he did 3 years ago. But what is wrong at Lucasarts? KotOR II sold 1.5 million copies and they have even said that they wish the franchise to continue. It really boggles my mind sometimes.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe they don't have the money to fund KotOR 3. In any event I would rather see Feargus and crew make their own original sci fi epic.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Oh and I hope they drop that lame idea with Kotor3 or a W40k RPG. I'd rather see some more original IP's... That Postapocalyptic Fantasy game is a cool start I think. SCiFi would be cool too, but no cheesy Space opera and silly Clown-Aliens a'la Mass Effect please. How about SciFi that takes place on earth...heck, with real people for a change?

Edited by Morgoth

If they plan on doing K3, they should get started on it while there is still interest in the franchise.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I would love to see a W40K RPG. That's just so I can play an eldar, of course, but I'd still love it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Maybe LucasArts weren't happy with KotOR2 and wants Bioware to take back the franchise?

And Bioware is only interested in making their own IPs which is a good thing. Less licensed products the better.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Also, I doubt BIO is gonna waste time making KOTOR3 while they are still working on the ME trilogy for the next 5 years, or so. The whole point of ME is a Space RPG without the bgaggae of a pre existing IP like SW to control what they can and cannot do.

R00fles!

Anyways, Obsidian should move on from KOTOR, FO, or IWD. The possiblity of Warhammer (though I'm not a big fan of it as others are, it's alright), or PA game I'd be cool with.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Volourn:

"Anyways, Obsidian should move on from KOTOR, FO, or IWD. The possiblity of Warhammer (though I'm not a big fan of it as others are, it's alright), or PA game I'd be cool with. "

Seriously. Just toss that gorilla filled wardrobe out the window, it's cluttering your space.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Also, I doubt BIO is gonna waste time making KOTOR3 while they are still working on the ME trilogy for the next 5 years, or so. The whole point of ME is a Space RPG without the bgaggae of a pre existing IP like SW to control what they can and cannot do.

R00fles!

Anyways, Obsidian should move on from KOTOR, FO, or IWD.

Nah. Keeping sequels to those games = good.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Well there's always the chance Obsidian could work on a Fallout game for Bethesda. Bethesda is a co-publisher, after all. While Bethesda makes F3,4,5 etc, Obsidian still could do a Fallout: An Isometric Hardcore-RPG or something like that....

Fallout: Europe

IB1OsQq.png

Dark_Raven:

"Nah. Keeping sequels to those games = good."

I think an Aliens RPG would be better. (hearts my avatar)

"OMFG! Fallout on the Nintendo?? What the hell is this world coming to? "

PC-centric thinking is so two gens ago. FO on the Wii!!

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I know a lot of people around here love 40K, so I was thinking of talking to THQ at some point about whether they would like to a 40K game that is more RPG than RTS.

Now that would be a match made in heaven :teehee:

I don't really know this guy, but he sure does know the right things to say :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I believe they have only the licence for 3 sequels. We just have to wait for 15 years.

EA release a game every season. :teehee:

It's good to see that Feargus still has the same interest in making KotOR III as he did 3 years ago. But what is wrong at Lucasarts? KotOR II sold 1.5 million copies and they have even said that they wish the franchise to continue. It really boggles my mind sometimes.

LucasArts have stated (search the forum for a link; I can't be bothered) that they will only be financing two games per year from now on.

They've got a new Indiana Jones due out imminently, and they just released a Star Wars game moment ago.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Dark Raven:

"Any how I like sequels to my favorite games. "

I dislike nostalgia and the fan desire to see the same old thing. I think it's unfortunate that Bethesda has the Fallout license, but that's not because I hate the idea of Fallout being in first person or of anyone other than Black Isle castaways making it.

The poor quality of the Pirates of the Caribbean and Call of Cthulhu were indicative of Bethesda's tendency to favor TES franchise. Neither of them were AAA games, which is what I'd like FO 3 to be, because Bethesda saves its 'best' for Elder Scrolls.

In regards to the Alien RPG, I enjoy Giger's work - I have two books of his artwork, and a friend of mine created a nifty collage of his work that I have framed and hung on the wall opposite my bed - and I think the Aliens movie is one of the greatest in cinema. The design work, the score, the setting, the narrative structure, and the nature of the threat all contribute to the unrelenting intensity of the film. As a rule, I dislike horror movies, but I consider Aliens to be a work of art.

The Fallout and KotOR franchises both rest comfortably within a well-established cRPG paradigms. An Aliens RPG need not, nor will it be built and played in the shadow of a previous game.

Edited by Maria Caliban

I just think that Bethesda is incapable of making a good Fallout game. None of the games they have made in house comes anywhere near the style and presentation of Fallout 1 and 2. Each developing house has their strengths and weaknesses, and they should improve on their strengths and limit their weaknesses with each successive game. Bethesda, going by the titles that they develop in house, lack the ability to make Fallout.