bayonet lasers

laser bayonets  

12 members have voted

1. 1. should starwars lasers have bayonets or blades attatched?

• yes
    • no

If I were to be padantic I'd point out that SW lasers don't have a bayonets because they don't exist-the weapons are blasters. Not that I'm going to do that as I understand the question well enough.

Blasters don't have bayonets because;

Most of the weapons are too small. The weapons used are small-carbine sized or pistols, imagine adding a blade to the end of the pistol and trying to holster it.

The Weapons that are large enough-the true rifles-are not intended to be used in close combat, they are designed to be used at a great distance so a bayonet wouldn't be part of the design.

While Blasters are often discribed as being Rugged I would imagine that are still fairly fragile. Hitting someone with a blaster would be a great way to knock the blaster out. I seem to remember someone saying that one of the problems with an M-16 was that if you smacked someone over the head with it you'd shatter the stock, and that is a 'simple' weapon compared to a blaster. (I will note that they may have improved the M-16 since then).

The real world reason is, of course, that all the weapons used in the films were real world guns dressed up. The vast majority of the guns they used were pistols (Han Solo's blaster is a Mauser for example) or sub machine guns (the Stormtrooper carbine is a British sub-machine gun from the WW 2 era. Think it was the Lancaster Machine gun). In any event most of the guns that were used had to be picked for use on a film set-so the smaller the better. This leads to number of reasons why the guns don't have bayonets;

The original guns didn't have bayonets or bayonet sockets, so the ones in the films didn't.

Modifying the guns, and dressing them up to look futuristic, would involve covering any bayonet sockets. In any event hitting something with one of these altered guns would have just knocked some of these coverings off.

These are real guns, they are heavy, they are made of steel, not plastic dressed up. If you went to hit an actor or stuntman with one of these guns and really hit them they'd end up in hospital. Hell you could kill them.

Shoving a large knife on the end of a gun and getting actors to run around would be an insane risk to take. You might notice that bayonets are almost never seen on sci-fi weapons-at least I can't remember seeing any sci-fi films that have bayonets on the guns. Part of this might be that they look old fashioned, modern fire arms are very rarely seen with bayonets-and there are a few where I'm not sure if they have bayonets at all It would be to dangerous to have real knives on the guns and rubber knives might well catch fire if you fired the gun.

Starwars was aimed at kids more that adults, or at least it was intended that kids should be able to watch the films. Having a large knife on the guns would, in this context, not be in keeping with this. Even if they were never seen to be used they might have been considered inappropreate-even knives don't seem to be carried in the films.

All the projects, films etc that came after the original film have the same look as the film so they feel part of the same universe. So if the stormtroopers in Ep4 don't have bayonets you can bet no one else will have them as it wouldn't look right.

PISTOL WHIP FTW!!!

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

And people wonder why I say that fans NEVER knows what's good for game...

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Guest Accept

Yeah, and at the same time, why ain't every Republic Soldier wearing skates? You know, just in case they'll come in close combat, and with skates their roundhouse kicks will be far more deadlier!

And people wonder why I say that fans NEVER knows what's good for game...

...:*

Edited by Accept

No way, it would look out of place... especially on those pistols.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

what about bayonets on the super large clone trooper guns. In Episode two at the battle of Geonosis the guns could have had bayonets but in the latter episodes not have them because the guns got smaller and they were found ineffective. Every clone trooper is CG so no one could git hurt doing stunts. A bayonet does't have to old to be put on a gun, the bayonet could actually be part of the gun not just an attachable piece. If you look closely as the geonosan sonic guns you can see that they do have bayonet like spikes attached to the gun geonosian sonic gun

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

why don't any of the star wars lasers have bayonets or blades attatched? it would make it so much easier for gamers to attack a large group of sith/ evil doers.

You seem to forget that the pistol is a weapon. A one shot, BANG, he is dead, weapon. Bayonets were used when loading was slow and the rounds may not kill. These games have the worst weapons because you don't die. The weapons in RPGs are really bad. It was embracing when I walked up to a guy in a Sith officer uniform (we are talking cotton or something like that) and gun or lightsaber, all attacks hurt the guy just a little. It should have been one hit kill.

Edited by Watchman

what about in situations when there are enemies surrounding you, and when you are picking them off, one by one, the others race toward you and it becomes to hard to aim when some one is killing you with a lightsaber? it was a suggestion, and u don't have to take it so seriously.

look, at us here, in a hole, on the lam, with our hearts full of fear, what a rip, what a sham.

If your "weapon" is more like a strong pinch, then yes, you are going to have to deal with them piling up around you. Lets not forget that most rifles will stop anyone from coming after you with one round.

But your right, a bayonet or other simple close up melee type weapon is handy for those times when the gun dose not perform it's function for whatever reason.

Edited by Watchman

Guest Accept
How, exactly, do you hoster a pistol when you have a meat-cleaver bolted to the front of it?

You just stick it into some random-Java, and then you tie the Jawa up on your back. Yeah.

How, exactly, do you hoster a pistol when you have a meat-cleaver bolted to the front of it?

You just stick it into some random-Java, and then you tie the Jawa up on your back. Yeah.

Only you would come up with something like that, Accept.

Back on topic, this idea is just plain stupid. We're not talking about American Revolution era. Then it'd be The Patriot combined with Star Wars which equals >_<

This is slowly reminding me of that Lightsaber-Pistol talk from way back when. A pistol that also functions as a lightsaber....

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Guest Accept

Only you would come up with something like that, Accept.

Back on topic, this idea is just plain stupid. We're not talking about American Revolution era. Then it'd be The Patriot combined with Star Wars which equals :sorcerer:

:)

But yes, you are right, i don't even think there is a need to discuss wheter it shall be bayonets or not in SW, 'cause it's never gonna happend, and thank god for that. :(