PS3 selling?

Azure79

Considering how early it still is since the PS3 came out, I was wondering if it was selling well? Judging by what I saw it seems that it's not. I just got back from Costco and there quite a few PS3 systems stacked up for sale. No one seemed particularly interested in purchasing one. The price tag was $799.99 I think, for the system, an extra controller and game. There might have been a few extras but I didn't care enough to look.

Of course, this is just once instance, but considering I can't find a Wii anywhere in local retailers (not even extra wii-motes or nunchuks) is the PS3 doing well?

I'm sure the system will pick some steam as more games come out, even though I heard Sony is losing a lot of exclusives (Devil May Cry)/, but right now seems to be floundering a bit.

What do you think?

It's selling decently; but not liek the Wii or XBOX 360. Not too surprising. I think the price tag is simply too rich for many people's blood. You could buy at least 2 Pee Pees for that amount.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't really see why anyone would buy an $800.00 console. Especially one that has really only one decent game out right now (R:FoM).

Seriously. There isn't one game that looks like it could be an awesome performer. Only game that has caught my eye is Armoured Core which looks pretty nice but definitely not worth the price tag of ps3.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The sales will increase this christmas likely, with more must haves. I doubt it will catch up to the other two though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Moved to Skeeters.

I'm not a console gamer, but if I was, I don't think I'd be convinced to plop down that much cash for one. A PC may cost more, but at least a computer is a useful and (to me) vital tool beyond gaming, thus worth the expense, imo.

So my inexpert guess would be it won't do as well until they drop the price.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My sister, who doesn't play video games, was with me at HMV yesterday in the video game section, and she saw the display for the 360 and the PS3 and was like "The PS3 is $650, and the 360 is 500, plus 200 for the HDDVD add on, but you can already play the HD discs in the PS3 right?" and I was like "Yeah" and she's like "Well then the 360 is actually more expensive than the PS3"

Devastatorsig.jpg

Myself, I'm cheap. Consoles over $300 seem like too much to me. :thumbsup:

Along with articles mentioned in the "PS3 a bargain?" thread, this short article from a couple months ago indicates Sony is aware and considering the cost issue, while claiming they're taking a loss on each machine sold to begin with.

Game machines generally come down in price over time. But faced with competition, Sony made an unusual move in lowering the PS3 price in Japan by about 20 percent even before sales started.

Even before the cut, analysts say, Sony was already taking a loss on each machine sold; manufacturers typically sell machines for less than their true costs, hoping to recoup the investment by selling games.

Analysts and game fans are watching to see when PS3 prices may drop again, which would depend on its proliferation in the market and cuts in production costs. Sometimes a price cut is timed with the introduction of blockbuster game software, expected to boost machine sales.

Sony has a lot riding on PS3's success, but consumers seem to be snatching up its rival Wii, which costs about half as much as the cheaper, $500 version of the PS3 and comes with a wand that players swing around like a bat, fishing pole or conductor baton, depending on the game.

Nintendo, which makes Pokemon and Super Mario games, saw profits for the first nine months of the fiscal year soar 43 percent and has shipped 3.19 million Wii machines globally.

Sony shipped 1.84 million PS3 machines worldwide through Dec. 31, the company said. The machine has already gone on sale in the United States, Japan and some other countries, but its sale has been delayed to March 23 in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Australia.

The company stuck to its earlier target of shipping 6 million PS3 consoles by March 31. Earlier, it said it shipped 2 million PS3 machines worldwide by mid-January, falling about two weeks behind its initial shipment targets in Japan.

Yuhara said Sony's earlier price cut in Japan was an effort to respond to the expectations of hard-core game fans and helped get the machine off to a smooth rollout.

``In the PS3 business, production was very tight, but we knew the market wouldn't wait,'' he said.

But price cuts can be risky for sophisticated machinery like PS3, which comes loaded with next-generation DVD called Blu-ray disk and is powered by a super-chip called ``cell.''

The challenge Sony faces is to sell the machine in numbers to bring down costs and make money in software sales to make the operation more profitable.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My sister, who doesn't play video games, was with me at HMV yesterday in the video game section, and she saw the display for the 360 and the PS3 and was like "The PS3 is $650, and the 360 is 500, plus 200 for the HDDVD add on, but you can already play the HD discs in the PS3 right?" and I was like "Yeah" and she's like "Well then the 360 is actually more expensive than the PS3"

Your sister's a lot smarter than most consumers.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I was in a bar with some co-workers one night and she happened to be there and came up behind me and gave me a hug and ran away and one of my co-workers was like "Dude! Who was the hottie!?" When I said "my sister" he was like "oh... sorry"

Devastatorsig.jpg

I would say "Oh... Good."

:blink:

Anyway, I wouldn't really bother with either system till the prices go way down. So far the best console that gives the best bang for the buck is the Wii.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I was in a bar with some co-workers one night and she happened to be there and came up behind me and gave me a hug and ran away and one of my co-workers was like "Dude! Who was the hottie!?" When I said "my sister" he was like "oh... sorry"

I never expected you to follow through, and now it's like, do I comment that your sister's hot even though she's your sister, or do I bite my tongue?

Also, what if I'm asked to post pics of my sister. Because I mean, I wouldn't.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Brezhnev (Punk band from the Netherlands) - She ain't horny she's my sister

It's a song precisely about the situation you were in.

Chorus:

"She's a girl that I adore

Every time I see her

I love her even more

But you should've noticed

by the way I kissed her

She ain't horny she's my sister."

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just to be on topic (and try to salvage the little dignity I may have left on this board):

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74590

Playstation 3 sells 165,000 units in the first two days and that's only in the UK! That's a lot. Stupid Brits.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Perhaps every one of those PS3s came with a HD TV. :wacko:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Epiphany and right just do not belong in the same sentence together Its just wrong! WRONG I TELL YOU! AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH! :sorcerer:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Many of my friends have Wii's, some have 360's, none have a PS3

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sales down dramatically on second week of release

Sales of the PlayStation 3 have dropped dramatically on the second week of release in the UK, with official Chart Track figures revealing a fall of 82 per cent.

Chart Track data is gathered from 7000 UK retail outlets representing 90 per cent of the software market, including GAME, Gamestation, Play.com, Asda and HMV.

A spokesperson for Chart Track confirmed the figure to GamesIndustry.biz this afternoon, stating: "Yes, sales of PS3 hardware have dropped by 82 per cent. ^______^ "

Last week, Chart Track revealed that the PlayStation 3 had sold 165,000 units in the first two days following the launch, making it the fastest-selling home console in the UK.

"We publish the first week figures because there's such a clamour for them that we can't keep it a secret, <_____< " said the spokesperson.

This week's software charts revealed that sales of the top two PlayStation 3 titles, Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm, had dropped by over 60 per cent.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe declined to comment.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23977

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I bought my ps2, 6 years after its release date, and now I'm perfectly happy with it. Actually, it's one of my best purchases ever. PS2 has still lots of life left in it. It willl take sometime to play all of the great titles it has. So, I don't see myself buying a PS3 anytime soon. Plus, it's damn expensive(~$1090) here in Turkey.

centinexx.png

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a ps3 i should have waited a little while longer .i only have 4 games

ES4-Oblivion

SPlinter Cell DA

The Godfather The DOn Edition

and Genji

it also has the option to install Linux(Fedora And YellowDog Linux)

i can play mp3s,mpeg1&2,AAC,MP4

Other Info

"Operating Systems can be installed and run via a hypervisor

Audio file playback (ATRAC3, AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA)

Video file playback (MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4)

Image editing and slideshows (JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, BMP)

Mouse and keyboard support

Folding@Home client with visualizations from the RSX

* more formats will be added on recent firmware updates"

its selling about ~4 million units in total(not sure if these are real saw on a wiki page)