I'm sick of WW2 games.

Blank

Every quarter a "new" WW2 game comes out. This dead horse has been beaten into a bloody pool of slime. I'm sick of it, game developers. Notice there is no innovation. The player is never one of the Germans. One man can always defeat battalions of the enemy.

There's always a stupid narrator, or some attempt at a story that sucks, because you know what happens, and there is no character development. There's always a bunch of scripted crap, like "Hey Jenkins! Go blow up five hundred tanks by pressing A!" Reinforcements are always coming, but they are never there.

The Germans are always yelling, "EN MAHDDAH BOODIN!" The enemy AI sucks, and if you play on hard mode, they are the same, but with 200% more health points and they can shoot you from anywhere with more powerful bullets. Buildings are always decrepit and war-torn. I frequently receive the responsibility to take out an enemy sniper, as though there are no others in the military who are capable. According to some of my allies the enemies are always, "EVERYWHERE!"

This genre could be great. It could help tell the story of a big part of our history, however, the potential is drown out by the horrible tons of WW2 games that come out all year.

Please, Obsidian, don't make a WW2 game. Don't even think about it. It would make me cry.

Edited by Blank

If you do make a WW2 game, make sure its WW2 like this:

tfgijoe_holo.jpg

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

i never really bothered with any of them after battlefield 1942

i know what you mean man. it's always just the same old thing...

which is also why i don't bother with sports games. FIFA2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, etc. etc.

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

While there are a lot, every so often one comes out that really stands out from the crowd, like the original CoD and it's excellent expansion. Unfortunatly the sequel is pretty much a prettier and dumber rehash with crappier multiplayer.

I'm really looking forward to the next Medal of Honor game, Airborne. The trailer looked fantastic. Theres just something about the period that is interesting. Really, as far as war games go, WWII is the perfect war to base games on. It had a great selection of semi auto, bolt action and automatic weapons, wasn't as complex as modern combat, but at the same time not as simple as earlier wars that focused more on the rifle.

If you do make a WW2 game, make sure its WW2 like this:

tfgijoe_holo.jpg

I would kill for this game.

Edit: When I say kill, I mean anyone and everyone.

Edit2: I can imagine it, now. Walking across a battlefield with Cobra corpses littering the ground and gigantic transformers having their exchanges overhead. Having to dodge their massive feet. Maybe even a level where you have to break into a new giant (even for them) Decepticon and take him out from the inside.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Edit2: I can imagine it, now. Walking across a battlefield with Cobra corpses littering the ground and gigantic transformers having their exchanges overhead. Having to dodge their massive feet. Maybe even a level where you have to break into a new giant (even for them) Decepticon and take him out from the inside.

Sounds suspiciously like the old Warhammer 40k "Epic" system... Nothing like trampling the little imperial guardsmen and pointy eared eldar infantry underneath the massive feet of my Gargants.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Every quarter a "new" WW2 game comes out. This dead horse has been beaten into a bloody pool of slime. I'm sick of it, game developers. Notice there is no innovation. The player is never one of the Germans. One man can always defeat battalions of the enemy.

There's always a stupid narrator, or some attempt at a story that sucks, because you know what happens, and there is no character development. There's always a bunch of scripted crap, like "Hey Jenkins! Go blow up five hundred tanks by pressing A!" Reinforcements are always coming, but they are never there.

The Germans are always yelling, "EN MAHDDAH BOODIN!" The enemy AI sucks, and if you play on hard mode, they are the same, but with 200% more health points and they can shoot you from anywhere with more powerful bullets. Buildings are always decrepit and war-torn. I frequently receive the responsibility to take out an enemy sniper, as though there are no others in the military who are capable. According to some of my allies the enemies are always, "EVERYWHERE!"

This genre could be great. It could help tell the story of a big part of our history, however, the potential is drown out by the horrible tons of WW2 games that come out all year.

Please, Obsidian, don't make a WW2 game. Don't even think about it. It would make me cry.

Argghhh.... i always dreamed of running around as a German soldier saying badly scripted "Ack du lieber and shiss pistol.." ^^

They win all the time! Ever had to reload a save?

My next two purchases shall be Fallout Collection (and I will finally be able to play F1 :) ) and Silent Storm Gold which contains SS and its expansion pack Sentinels :o

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I must admit I fall into the category of someone who really enjoys WW2 games (at least good ones) and is a long way from being sick of them.

As someone pointed out, it's a really good period as far as technology goes with a nearly inexhaustible supply and variety of firearms and hardware. It lends itself quite well to both FPS and RTS games, as well as more hardcore stretgic and simulation titles.

Also most people don't feel too bad about destroying the minions of Nazi Germany, since the regime itself was truely worthy of destruction, if not perhaps, every individual who fought for them.

My only question is why on earth are the Krauts in COD2 so obssessed with shouting out "Mutter Boden!" (Mother Soil!)every few seconds? It doesn't make much sense to me, unlike most of the German dislog (my favourite: "Ein Geschenk vom deutschen Reich!" - "A present from the German reich!" when they through a hand grenade down your throat.)

Since when did "never" have exceptions?

But, I think Raven's complaint was towards single player games.

technically HOI2 is single player but...

The ladies got a point.

I think "Road to Berlin" has a german campaign.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.