What properties would you like to see games made from?

Oerwinde

This, in my opinion, takes all the mystery and fun out of Lovecraft. What makes it fun is that nobody knows what's behind the next corner, and the only guy with any idea is that wierd shifty guy who once took a peek inside the necronomicon. The super-secret government agency, working at the super secret underground base, detecting a disturbance on the super secret big screen, and dispatching troops in the super secret stealth hovercraft has been overdone and would kill the whole feel.

Lovecraft stories make for crummy gameplay. Yes, the characters in the stories are typically unsuspecting buffoons. Do you really want to play unsuspecting buffons? Really? Delta Green operatives know things about the Cthulhu mythos, but they still don't understand (nor can they ever understand) the big picture. Delta Green also isn't a government agency. It was once a government agency and was dissolved to create Majestic-12 (a group of terrible dummies who want to be pals with Cthulhu). The people who work in Delta Green are operating completely in violation of local and federal laws wherever they go. They don't have federal funding, don't go through special training programs, etc. They are just smart, organized people who are focused on defeating the various armies of Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, the Karotechia, the Fate, Majestic-12, etc.

Personally, I think that works a lot better than playing in a CoC setting and having to act incredibly shocked at every revelation that is familiar to every Lovecraft fan. "THERE ARE MONSTERS WHAT WHAT?! PERHAPS I CAN DEFEAT THEM WITH MY .22 PISTOL AND WALKING STICK! OH NO I AM BEING TURNED INTO A SERVANT OF GLAAKI GURGLE GURGLE."

I would also really like to see a game with a setting similar to Godlike.

I'd like to see an RPG around the Firefly property. Not sure how well it could be done, however.

Or a Farscape spinoff game. Maybe one taking place several decades after the series and featuring D'argo Crichton.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Lovecraft stories make for crummy gameplay. Yes, the characters in the stories are typically unsuspecting buffoons. Do you really want to play unsuspecting buffons? Really?

You mean like we do (start as) in Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and NWN2?

Delta Green operatives know things about the Cthulhu mythos, but they still don't understand (nor can they ever understand) the big picture. Delta Green also isn't a government agency. It was once a government agency and was dissolved to create Majestic-12 (a group of terrible dummies who want to be pals with Cthulhu). The people who work in Delta Green are operating completely in violation of local and federal laws wherever they go. They don't have federal funding, don't go through special training programs, etc. They are just smart, organized people who are focused on defeating the various armies of Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, the Karotechia, the Fate, Majestic-12, etc.

In that case, I concede that I had the entirely wrong impression about what Delta Green was. I only knew what someone once describe to me, and I guess he did such a bad job that I never looked at it myself. A team of amateur Ghostbusters in a Lovecraft setting could actually be very interesting.

It is in a modern setting, though, right? Lovecraft would lose some of its plausibility, I think, in a world of modern technology. It's hard to believe that Cthulhu, who after all was defeated in his one story by a small boat to the head, would be particularly fearsome in a world where a megaton of ordnance could be dropped on him at the press of a button. It's harder still to imagine that there is a moutain four times the size of Everest nobody knows about in the Antarctic, or a city the size of a continent under the ocean somewhere that nobody has ever found.

If you're referring to the city in the Mountains of Madness, I was under the impression (maybe I got an abridged version?) that it was located not in Antarctica but on some other plane that one enters when crossing the mountains, possibly a dreamscape. Then again, Lovecraft was always a bit thick. That's what I love about him.

This is a bit off topic, but Guillermo del Toro has reportedly been angling for the rights to the Mountains of Madness in film form. I would kill for that. But I digress.

It is in a modern setting, though, right? Lovecraft would lose some of its plausibility, I think, in a world of modern technology. It's hard to believe that Cthulhu, who after all was defeated in his one story by a small boat to the head, would be particularly fearsome in a world where a megaton of ordnance could be dropped on him at the press of a button. It's harder still to imagine that there is a moutain four times the size of Everest nobody knows about in the Antarctic, or a city the size of a continent under the ocean somewhere that nobody has ever found.

Well, you're going to have to suspend your belief a bit. Maybe the Great Old Ones are beyond nuclear weapons. They are supposed to be invincible, right?

Edited by Pop

If you're referring to the city in the Mountains of Madness, I was under the impression (maybe I got an abridged version?) that it was located not in Antarctica but on some other plane that one enters when crossing the mountains, possibly a dreamscape. Then again, Lovecraft was always a bit thick. That's what I love about him.

From what I remember, I got the impression of a giant mountain that was flat on top. They landed a plane on it and then took a series of tunnels into its interior. Even better, I believe they actually see another mountain next to it that's even bigger at one point, which would mean that the tip of that one would be something like ten miles high.

Well, you're going to have to suspend your belief a bit. Maybe the Great Old Ones are beyond nuclear weapons. They are supposed to be invincible, right?

Cthulhu's head got split open when it was keelhauled by a small motor yacht. Admittedly, it grew back, but not until after the yacht had gotten completely away.

That's "suspend your disbelief", gah.

Well, okay, the Great Old Ones can be fazed. But who knows how they die? I thought Cthulu was practically already dead in R'ileyh (did I spell that right?) and just waiting to be resurrected when the stars were right.

Besides, there are plenty of Cthulu stories that deal with imprisoning the Great Old Ones instead of killing them. I think that's all you can really do, so long as you've got a big rock with an elder sign on it.

It's been said before, but an RPG along the lines of Neuromancer would be very cool ... even based on the locales in Neuromancer, if Gibson were willing to participate in the development, but it's hard to imagine a near-future "cyberpunk" world without thinking of Neuromancer - it's definitely my favorite of the genre.

The biggest trend in RPG's that I have so far avoided (and most likely will continue to avoid) is the MMO aspect. I don't have time. I probably won't until I retire, unless there's an MMORPG out there that will be friendly to those of us who can only dedicate a few hours a session, and maybe only once or twice a week.

Say what you want about Micro$oft ... I like their simulators ... MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries and Freelancer will remain on my "must play" list ... I'd love to see sequels.

An RPG that had potential to branch into other genres might be interesting - start out as a normal guy who ends up being able to be the hero of a Space Sim, Tactical Shooter, Real Time Strategy, etc. would be interesting, but each branch would need to be a stand-alone game that you could drag your avatar into. Games that try to combine gaming styles usually aren't very good at either.

A good Steampunk game would be nice... Like Rise of Legends, just without Lawrence of Arabia and the Jaffa coming in to crash the party. But the massive towers of steam, dirigibles, popguns, Clockwork machinations and so forth would be extremly interesting to play with in an RPGish setting.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

More D&D games, I would prefer Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance.

Vampire: The Requiem.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'd like to see an RPG around the Firefly property.

:)

A healthy mix of NWN2 party/dungeon hacking and Freelancer.

I'd like to see a revival of the Police Quest series. Not sure how it would be done as an RPG though.

You start off by creating your detective and then go out on investigations of adapted real-world crimes.

It's been said before, but an RPG along the lines of Neuromancer would be very cool ... even based on the locales in Neuromancer, if Gibson were willing to participate in the development, but it's hard to imagine a near-future "cyberpunk" world without thinking of Neuromancer - it's definitely my favorite of the genre.

For what it's worth, there is an adventure game based on the novel that sometimes manages to follow the original story.

In Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and NWN2, does your character start out under the assumption that the world is a totally swell, normal place free from horrible monsters? Most characters in Cthulhu stories start out as completely clueless. Even in Fallout, the assumption is that the world has been incredibly screwed up by nuclear war and radiation.

I'd like a CRPG based on D&D's world of Toril (when it doubt, Faerun, but any location could be made interesting) that would have the following elements:

- Fully 3D world with physics.

- Giant world map that is loaded in sections as you travel (like in Ultima 9 but bigger) rather than tiny maps and loading screens.

- All the object interaction of Ultima VII and Ultima Online.

- NPC schedules like in Ultima V and VII. In bed at night, up and around during the day, etc.

- If 3D combat proves tricky to implement (with more than one monster), consider handling it the way Anachronox did (or better).

- Player's choice of camera angles: first person, third person (drive, chase, overhead), and floating (as with Infinity Engine games).

- Realistic (within reason) weather effects: wind blows things, rain creates puddles, snow accumulates, etc.

- Multiple modes of travel: walk, swim, fly, levitate.

- Characters are able to jump, climb, grab at things while falling/sliding, etc.

- No more "player controlled camera" crap where you don't see your character's arms/hands and legs/feet.

That's just a start. Basically I'd like to combine my favorite elements from the games I've played into one monster CRPG that I could get lost in for hours each day. I haven't felt "sucked" into a game world since the single-player Ultimas, though HL2 is pretty good.

In Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and NWN2, does your character start out under the assumption that the world is a totally swell, normal place free from horrible monsters? Most characters in Cthulhu stories start out as completely clueless. Even in Fallout, the assumption is that the world has been incredibly screwed up by nuclear war and radiation.

A lead protoganist who, let's say, is working on a degree at the Miskatonic University and has taken several peeks into the Necronomicon despite his professor's advice, ought to be just as prepared to fight Lovecraftian monsters as a guy who's never left his underground bunker is prepared to clean out a military base full of well armed super mutants.

I'd like a CRPG based on D&D's world of Toril (when it doubt, Faerun, but any location could be made interesting) that would have the following elements:

- Giant world map that is loaded in sections as you travel (like in Ultima 9 but bigger) rather than tiny maps and loading screens.

- NPC schedules like in Ultima V and VII. In bed at night, up and around during the day, etc.

- If 3D combat proves tricky to implement (with more than one monster), consider handling it the way Anachronox did (or better).

- Player's choice of camera angles: first person, third person (drive, chase, overhead), and floating (as with Infinity Engine games).

- Realistic (within reason) weather effects: wind blows things, rain creates puddles, snow accumulates, etc.

- Characters are able to jump, climb, grab at things while falling/sliding, etc.

- No more "player controlled camera" crap where you don't see your character's arms/hands and legs/feet.

That's just a start. Basically I'd like to combine my favorite elements from the games I've played into one monster CRPG that I could get lost in for hours each day. I haven't felt "sucked" into a game world since the single-player Ultimas, though HL2 is pretty good.

:)

Add in a full tools system and you got Neverwinter Nights 3, or how Neverwinter Nights 3 should be. Obsidian, get cracking!

:huh:

For that would be the god of Fantasy CRPGs.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Make it a 2D game using IE and you got a winner.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I like it...

but I doubt any company would risk it.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

That wouldn't be touched by anyone. Regardless of how COOL it may be.

2D is so limited.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

True, I'll have to write it myself in order to play it. That'd be more fun anyway.

Which is always fun, the problem comes when you realise it looks crap because instead of cool animated characters you have joyful cubes, and your terrain isn't textured nicely, but that's cool because you have the most awesome load balanced AI cubes with awful dialogue evea!

It's not that nobody would program such a game... You or I could do that, it's the fact nobody will provide a few gig of awesome artwork.

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Are you trying to scare me? :sad:

My two favorite games (PS:T and Fallout 2, I still haven't played the first one. Can't find it. ) ever are 2D and another one is IE game, but that idea just sucks.

2D is way too limited and IE engine is far from perfect. Besides it's way too aged. I remember much about things developers needed to cope with engine because it was too limited.

There's no way why 3D games couldn't be as good as 2D were. Quite frankly they have potential to be ten times better than any 2D game.

@\NightandtheShape/@ is right, 2D is way too limited. Fallout, Baldur's Gate and others aren't great becacuse of 2D. They have their own merits for being awesome.

Reason why many of these old classics are 2D is that 3D in 90's couldn't compare to beauty of 2D. That's why whining about that game concentrate only to graphics nowadays is ridiculous. Mankind always have aimed to beauty. Once it was 2D, nowadays when 3D has reached and surpassed it's quality it's naturally 3D. Not to mention that developing on 3D is faster and easier IIRC.

Of course looks don't make great game. But stating that some games are better because they are 2D is ridiculous. They have other reasons for being so very awesome. 2D isn't one of them.

And sometimes (many times actually) 3D means evolution. 2D is limited. new GTA's are much better than original two (although I kinda like them still ^_^ ) such games like Mafia, HL2 and many others just wouldn't work as 2D.

In rpg's this yet isn't the case because IMO developers haven't yet tried to unleash all the potential of 3D.

To me it doesn't matter if game 2D or 3D. If especially awesome 3D RPG comes (I'm hoping DA being one but after all it's Bioware so it's unlikely) I'm happy to let it rise to my number one game ever. There's no disgrace for old classics in that. I know many great 3D rpg's but it isn't 3D's fault they haven't risen for top spot.

Back to topic: I just want K3 :ermm:

But I could try to scrap some thoughts together... When I have time or sumthing

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

If they could ever make 3D games look real, like an image I saw that was supposedly rendered in DX10, I may start to like 3D just as much as 2D games. I still favor 2D.

DX 10 is pretty close to photorealistic... But that said, 2D as in IE games are really just 3D rendered images. So it's 3D artwork all the same, and technology is fairly close to be capible of doing such in real time. So... 2D really has nothing to offer.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg