What properties would you like to see games made from?

Oerwinde

So ignore original IP for a second. I know most of us would rather see Obsidian working on their own stuff, but if you could choose a property for them to develop a game from, what would it be?

A Transmetropolitan game was mentioned in the Smiley Top 8 thread, and I think that would be super awesome. And you devs who support that should bring it up all the time. I'm sure Warren Ellis would love that to happen, as he's always jumping at the chance to be a part of something outside of comics.

I also think a game set in the Fables universe would be super neat too.

A GI Joe tactical RPG would be pretty sweet too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've wanted a Sword & Space game since i was a kid (Burrough's Mars series would be a really fun setting).

Other than that, a setting inspired by paintings by Beksinski would be awesome. Think Kings The Black Tower meets Cthulhu meets Moor****. That would be my dream setting.

edti: obviously Moorc0ck is a dirty word. Poor Michael :devil:

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

Yeah, that filter has some unfortunate side-effects.

Speaking of, a game set in Moorc0cks multiverse would be amazing (or in any one of his specific worlds like the Young Kingdoms or the world of Granbretan).

I'd also love a Neuromancer RPG (although virtually any Cyberpunk franchise could sustitute for it, I chose Neuromancer because it's the first)

Other than that, I wholeheartedly support Fables.

Edited by Spider

I would like a dumping of all things supernatural and a game set in THE REAL WORLD.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I once played a really odd little Japanese game called Road Trip: A Road Adventure. It had unbearably cutesy graphics, its driving model was far from perfect (but working nonetheless) and it was a bit simplistic all-in-all. But it was the first and only car-based RPG I ever played, and it was surprisingly fun. You started out in a small village, as a car. Not a driver, you actually were the car. Anyhow, you had cheap tires, a small engine, bad suspension and all that, but you could roam the countryside as much as you wanted and you could compete in the village race arena. From there you'd win races, solve quests, collect collectibles, upgrade your car (yourself..) and move on to faster races in other towns. All this took place in a free-roaming world where you could drive your car anywhere without loading times! After a while you'd even get the chance to build your own town!

I had an absolute blast playing that game and would love to see another RPG using the same game mechanics. With deformable cars, more "mature" (and, preferably, realistic) graphics, real car models, better driving physics, and a driver that could actually exit his vehicle.

So I was thinking:

The Cannonball Run: American muscle cars, stupid southern sheriffs and you'd play as Burt "Million Dollar Smile" Reynolds!

Vanishing Point: You'd again drive American muscle cars, but this time it's a more sinister story with corrupt police, drugs, hookers and mile after mile of roads.

The Fast and the Furious: Crappy movie, I know, but it would be perfect for this type of game. Fast cars, lots of races, modern times, pretty girls and more car pimpin' than you'd ever need.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Mkreku, why not an updated version of the old Autoduel CRPG. A Car Wars type game, with full GURPS character development with fast pace and cross country fighting Mad Max style would kickarse!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Either one of Games Workshops two main settings, Warhammer or Warhammer 40.000 :*

There has been a few RTS and FPS games (and an squad combat game called Chaos Gate) released so far. None of it too exciting.

*Daydreaming of what Obsidian could do with a setting where genocide, murder, rape, injustice, slavery, witch hunts, human sacrifice etc. are perfectly acceptable topics*

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It'd be interesting to see a game set in (and this is actually IN not a rip off of) the black companies little world. Last time anyone did anything close it was Myth.

Somthing set in a world like torment only instead of each world being alike you'd have each world be at different technological and mystical points (so one could be high fantasy, one could be steam punk, one could be cyberpunk.... and so on and so forth until the player ultimatly decide which world "wins")

And finially a dragonlance game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

See, i told ya! :(

A Buffyverse CRPG would be cool, but a Conspiracy X (which uses the same basic rules as the Buffyverse PnP RPG) would be cooler. Hey, Volourn, there are a number of Buffyverse Mushes out there. From what I have heard Devilshire is a pretty good one. :lol:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

As much as I like fantasy stuff, I wouldn't mind a RPG set in a more 'normal' world, either. Or if it does have the sci-fi/fantasy elements, the story is more centered around how a sudden entrance of sci-fi/fantsay/horror stuff affects the "normal" world, rather than it being or becoming the world, if that makes sense. Or, if you take the alien invasion theme so many FPS like to use as an excuse to shoot a million aliens, a game using the aliens perspective rather than the human one.

I have a hard time really defining what I'd like, tho ... a lot of books/movies w/a fish-out-of-water theme would be hard to translate into a RPG, I think.

Footfall (Niven and Pournelle novel) might be an interesting backdrop for a game theme, where you could switch back and forth between human and alien viewpoints/roles, but again, hard to translate into a RPG probably.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As far as "real-world" settings go, I'd like to see some kind of organized crime game, or a law enforcement game, or maybe a "Departed" kind of halfway deal, that's not a linear action game but an open-ended RPG. Like the Godfather game, but less enamored of GTA.

I'd like a Metal Gear Solid RPG :blink: but word is that MGS is pretty much dead after 4.

Modern Lovecraft, eh? Intriguing. But I thought the whole Cthulu spiel was that all the protagonists are always doomed and powerless to stop whatever malign cosmic forces they encounter. That limits the promise somewhat. :blink:

*edit - And I'm assuming that game "to be released in 2003" never made it?

Edited by Pop

Modern Lovecraft, eh? Intriguing. But I thought the whole Cthulu spiel was that all the protagonists are always doomed and powerless to stop whatever malign cosmic forces they encounter. That limits the promise somewhat.

Cthulhu stories and the CoC tabletop game were usually about hapless rubes being caught up in the gears of the mythos. Delta Green operatives are abnormally aware of and equipped to deal with the Cthulhu mythos. It avoids the situations where a private eye, housewife, and baker are thrown up against Nyarlathotep.

I'd love to see the Planescape setting come back. It will never happen but.... *daydreams of revisiting Sigil*

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

never been a big cthulhu/lovecraft fan... always preferred the hellboy kinda variant 'stead... Dark Elder Gods, The Church & modern pseudo-science mixed together with some magic. am not saying we is a big fan o' hellboy, but we likes the setting.

*shrug*

have always a sucker for the traditional iconography o' the Church, and all the attendent baggage... the good and the bad.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My dream CRPG is a party-based Baldur's Gate type dealie set in the Lovecraft universe, with period and location correct firearms, real world skills and abilities, and the sort of non-linear gameplay and NPC interaction we know to expect from an American style CRPG. I was actually right about to say this too, before JE beat me to it. Delta Green would be a convenient way to do this, but a modern, secret government, quasi-MIB sort of thing has no place in Lovecraft, in my opinion.

Delta Green operatives are abnormally aware of and equipped to deal with the Cthulhu mythos. It avoids the situations where a private eye, housewife, and baker are thrown up against Nyarlathotep.

This, in my opinion, takes all the mystery and fun out of Lovecraft. What makes it fun is that nobody knows what's behind the next corner, and the only guy with any idea is that wierd shifty guy who once took a peek inside the necronomicon. The super-secret government agency, working at the super secret underground base, detecting a disturbance on the super secret big screen, and dispatching troops in the super secret stealth hovercraft has been overdone and would kill the whole feel. Throwing real people into the bizarre situations adds mystery and atmosphere and could easily be done, just as long as the recruitable NPCs are very special people rather than milkmen and interior decorators.

Consider, if you will. Instead of a group of regular people, you could bend the rules a little and create a team of what are essentially pulp heroes, an anthropology professor from Oxford who also shoots regularly at Camp Bisley and got his ass hard boiled at the battle of Passchendaele, an FBI agent that shoots like DA Bryce but got fired for shooting his partner when a shoggoth started climbing out of his mouth, an African big game hunter looking for something to hunt more sporty than yet another white rhino, a Biggles-type WW1 flying ace and former barnstormer out of work and operating a taxi cab, Tesla's lab assistant on a test run with a prototype teleforce ray, or a hitman for Al Capone that just got put out of work because his boss was sent to Alcatraz for tax evasion. Each character would be incredibly interesting and useful, and would join the party not right there at the beginning, but as you play through the game actively searching for new partners, like the NPCs in Torment. Some you would meet as part of the natural storyline, and others, the especially powerful characters, would be semi-hidden or would require sidequests to convince them to join you. In my opinion, this would make a far more engaging game than the sort of X-Com / Jagged Alliance type deal I would imagine a Delta Green game to be.

Plus you could reload your own ammunition.