Top 25 PC Games of All Time

Xard

I'm suprised Master Of Orion did not get any love. It was the one of the first 4X games and the first to do it in a sci fi setting. Plus I drowned many many hours playing it!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They need a "Top 25 Game Manuals of All Time." I remember reading my Earthworm Jim 2 book and laughing at the jokes. My God of War II book, on the other hand, is a list of controls and credits.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They need a "Top 25 Game Manuals of All Time." I remember reading my Earthworm Jim 2 book and laughing at the jokes. My God of War II book, on the other hand, is a list of controls and credits.

Fallout is the one that immediately comes to mind. Red Alert had a neat morse code message in it's manual.

Fallout is the one that immediately comes to mind.

Does it look anything like DEFCON's manual?

That's pretty good. :sweat:

Nuclear Exchange Survival Tips: In the event of a nearby nuclear strike of 20 megatonnes or more, expect variable hours of operation in your local stores and businesses.

Baldur's Gate still has one of the best manuals ever. So massive.

So has Thief, heck even that was immersive.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

My version of GTA: San Andreas came with a full book. Unfortunately I'm sort of a collector and I haven't had the heart to open it and see what it's about. It's one of those books that look "bent" when you read them. Still, it's quite impressive. Although. .I just realized that it may have been a Collector's Edition.. those doesn't count, do they?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My version of GTA: San Andreas came with a full book. Unfortunately I'm sort of a collector and I haven't had the heart to open it and see what it's about. It's one of those books that look "bent" when you read them. Still, it's quite impressive. Although. .I just realized that it may have been a Collector's Edition.. those doesn't count, do they?

I've got one of those too. It's modeled after those "city guide" books or pamphlets you'd get at an airport, and outlines all the stuff in the game through that guise. It's creative. All of Rockstar's manuals are like that. I remember Manhunt had a nifty manual too, and the GTA:Vice City Stories book is a tabloid.

My copy of "The Hobbit" (old adventure games from Melbourne House) came with the book "The Hobbit". Thats how I got into reading Tolkien in the first place. Couldn't finish the damn game without reading the book...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The versions with Hot Coffee in it is the collectors edition lol

I remember Mechwarrior 2 had a book that was an inch thick, and had thumb prints and notes in the margins.

Man, mech 2 should be on that list. ALL mecha combat derives from Mech 2.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think Doom and Diablo should be near the top. Not that either one is a personal favorite of mine, but their importance to computer gaming is pretty big. I don't know if I would place XCOM at number 1, but I can't really disagree with the choice either. Also a lot of older games in general seemed to have been left out. Including HL2 and leaving out Doom seems bass ackward.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think Doom and Diablo should be near the top. Not that either one is a personal favorite of mine, but their importance to computer gaming is pretty big. I don't know if I would place XCOM at number 1, but I can't really disagree with the choice either. Also a lot of older games in general seemed to have been left out. Including HL2 and leaving out Doom seems bass ackward.

Could someone please explain to me how being influential or important qualifies it to be among the best games?

It's like confusing Best Actor with Lifetime Achievement. Qualifying as "Best Game of All Time" should imply that it is a terrific game, even by today's standards, not merely influential or important or best once upon a time. Doom is drastically dated, the original Half-Life less so, but still a bit dated, and not merely in the graphical department, but in the gameplay.

Edited by Tale

Could someone please explain to me how being influential or important qualifies it to be among the best games?

It's like confusing Best Actor with Lifetime Achievement. Qualifying as "Best Game of All Time" should imply that it is a terrific game, even by today's standards, not merely influential or important or best once upon a time. Doom is drastically dated, the original Half-Life less so, but still a bit dated, and not merely in the graphical department, but in the gameplay.

To me the fact that people still use Doom as a reference point after all these years says a lot.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Says a lot about its importance, nothing else.

If something is important in that sense, that usually means it is good though, right?

People still talk Doom because while HL and so forth may have refined the gameplay, they still aren't appreciably different. They certainly do look better, no doubt, but graphics are really of no consequence in this sense because newer games will always look better due to the advancing technology. The physics implementations that are possible now are also cool, but that is still a refinement of the core gameplay.

If something is important in that sense, that usually means it is good though, right?

People still talk Doom because while HL and so forth may have refined the gameplay, they still aren't appreciably different. They certainly do look better, no doubt, but graphics are really of no consequence in this sense because newer games will always look better due to the advancing technology. The physics implementations that are possible now are also cool, but that is still a refinement of the core gameplay.

It means it was good, not that it still is. A newer game that refines the gameplay still improves upon the game and is inherently a better game for that improvement. This, plus newer features, constitutes an appreciable difference. Scripted events, friendly AI, puzzles, are all things not even included in Doom that help make Half-Life "appreciably" different and a better game than Doom is. And this is beside the fact that what you are trying to attribute to Doom actually belongs to Wolfenstein 3D and the main reason people mentioned Doom instead of Wolfenstein 3D is that Doom is considered a better game.

Edited by Tale

Absolutely. And, why not? It's better thn shrrugging your shoulders when Adolf Hitler disagrees with me and wants all Jews dead. R00fles!

That depends on if your jewish... Regardless, it seemed kinda pointless. It's like anything. Irrelivant, it's media related. Everyone has there own list of favourites.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me