Jagged Alliance movie in the works

From Gamespot

A "truly original" movie spin-off from a game is coming, according to publisher Strategy First. That would be a film version of the Jagged Alliance series--to be titled, originally, Jagged Alliance.

The project is a film version of the Jagged Alliance series, which will be produced by largely unknown Hollywood-based multimedia entertainment company Union Entertainment. The Jagged Alliance series tells the story of an elite group of mercenaries who undertake a variety of missions at the whim of the highest bidder. The film version will focus on such aspects as the cutthroat relationships between the characters, who must rely on but can never trust each other.

Union president Richard Leibowitz commented, "Jagged Alliance is high on character and action, but with a dark humor that fans relish. [it] has a solid premise, and its character-driven game story makes it much better suited to film adaptation than many other game properties. Those elements are key to successful game-to-film translations."

Strategy First has signed up Nick Nunziata, producer of upcoming New Line Cinema titles Meg and Grizzly Park, to work on the film.

The Jagged Alliance series started in 1994 as a turn-based strategy DOS game, and has so far spawned five sequels. There is currently a Jagged Alliance 3D game for the PC being developed by MiST Land South and was due for release in "early 2006." This project failed to materialise, but it is still "under development," according to the release. A Jagged Alliance 2 version for the DS has also been announced.

Funnily enough, I had a bet placed at the bookies for just this event. I'm off to get some wheelbarrows to collect my

So, who gets to play "Steroid", Dolph Lundgreen?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How odd.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That description... I feel like I've already seen this movie. A billion times.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Directed by Uwe Boll, that most visonary of auteurs. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=9250

Guy that runs CHUD is the producer. And being both a film fanboy and a hater of Uwe Boll, we thankfully won't see him anywhere near this film.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And being both a film fanboy and a hater of Uwe Boll, we thankfully won't see him anywhere near this film.

In this case, that might be a bad thing. I mean Uwe at least makes things entertaining nowadays. I mean that movie with Kristina Lokken may have been awful (so awful I can't remember the name of the film actually), but it was a total hoot.

I actually haven't seen any Uwe Boll movies. Once Dungeon Siege comes out they should package all his movies in a boxed set and call it the Delusional Doctor collection (He has a doctorate!) and sell it for like 10-15 bucks. I'd buy it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I actually haven't seen any Uwe Boll movies. Once Dungeon Siege comes out they should package all his movies in a boxed set and call it the Delusional Doctor collection (He has a doctorate!) and sell it for like 10-15 bucks. I'd buy it.

Don't encourage him, he'll keep making movies as long as we keep paying for them.

Actually, we don't have to pay for them. I've read somewhere that he gets the funds for his movies through some german grant or something. So I don't think not watching will stop him. It's not like any of his movies have been stellar successes.

Why anyone (game studios) would allow him near any of their licenses is beyond me though.

Actually, we don't have to pay for them. I've read somewhere that he gets the funds for his movies through some german grant or something. So I don't think not watching will stop him. It's not like any of his movies have been stellar successes.

Why anyone (game studios) would allow him near any of their licenses is beyond me though.

Yeah, he profits through a german law designed to aid the german movie industry. If it bombs, he still profits! I think I read they're considering changing it, or maybe they have already.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, he profits through a german law designed to aid the german movie industry. If it bombs, he still profits! I think I read they're considering changing it, or maybe they have already.

They already have. And the german law wasn't that if it bombs, he still profits, its that if it bombs, he, and his investors profit more than if it was a success.

Now that its changed I wonder if he'll keep making movies. And if he does, I wonder if he'll actually try to make a decent film.

Devastatorsig.jpg

From IMDB:

# Far Cry (2008) (pre-production)

# Tunnel Rats (2008) (pre-production)

# BloodRayne II: Deliverance (2007) (post-production)

# Postal (2007) (post-production)

# Seed (2007) (post-production)

# In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007) (completed)

The man is nothing if not persistant.

I really don't see the point of this. Jagged Alliance had nothing special going for it except awesome gameplay. The plot, characters, and pretty much everything about it was just filler designed to capacitate it. Since you can't feature god gameplay in a movie, this is pretty much the most useless game-to-movie idea ever.

Its also mostly a cult game, so its not like its going to bring it masses of fans.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I really don't see the point of this. Jagged Alliance had nothing special going for it except awesome gameplay. The plot, characters, and pretty much everything about it was just filler designed to capacitate it. Since you can't feature god gameplay in a movie, this is pretty much the most useless game-to-movie idea ever.

The quirky personalities and the way they interacted with one another was a definite plus. But I'm not sure if quirky personalities really translate well on to the big screen.

Not that thats a big problem. There are quite a few excellent TV movies and Miniseries out there.

...Skeleton Man is definitely not one of them though.

Sorry... that was just a REALLY bad movie.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg