Installation problems...

We can't help unless we know the system specs.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Sorry about that.

Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

Hard Drive: 152 GB

Video Card: RADEON X800 PRO/GTO

Monitor: hp f1503 Flat Panel Monitor

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Hmm... nothing in your hardware looks funky. Have you tried installing off the hard drive? Sometimes that helps. What you would need to do is to copy the discs to you hard drive, and hit the setup button. Direct the install prompter to your hard drive location. Sometimes that helps when games are being difficult. My roommate had to install Jade Empire for the PC using that method. If that does work or the data doesn't transfer right it could be that the disc is bad. It would need to be cleaned, resurfaced, or replaced.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Okay, go to the disc directory and hit control "a" then hit control "c". That will give the computer the command to copy the entire contents of the disc. Pick a place on your hard drive, My Documents folder is the most common and make a new folder. Open that folder and hit control "v." It should copy the contents of the disc into the folder. Label the folder disc 1 or something that you will know what the files it contains.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. for the other discs.

When I've had problems with slightly damaged disks I just clean them with normal polish-same stuff you use on tables and the like-with a clean smooth dust cloth. I had some problems re-installing KOTOR 2 last time around and this solved it. Not saying this will work, or even that you should try it, but thats how I got around a slightly scratched cd.

(Note-I take no responsibility what-so-ever for anything that happens if you try this....unless it works then I'll be taking all the credit :sweat: )

Edited by Darth Mortis

disc1nr0.jpg

:/

edit: It also shouldn't be a scrathed disc since I installed it a few months back and only played it a few days then stopped. The disc is practically new. The game just randomly deleted itself...

Edited by OceaNuB

So you installed it before?

Did you make sure all traces of it in the Registry had been deleted?

Edit;

And due to "random deletion" have checked for virusses/spyware?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Viruses and spyware can play havoc on a system.

I have scanned my system and deleted the infected files but to no avail. On a side note, I notice while trying to install a program that it said I need administrator privileges when in fact I do :/. Could it be that kotor 2 also associates my account as a limited account ?

Humm, well some points;

It is usually recommended that you have at least two anti-spyware programs on your PC-if one program misses something the other might well detect it. If you don't already have two such programs look for Ad-Aware, its a free program you can down load. (Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to a sight where you can get it, so unless one of the mods tells me otherwise I'm not going to).

Make sure any anti-spyware programs (and anti-virus programs too) are up to date. May seem like a daft thing to say, but quite a few of these types of programs don't automatically update, nor will they tell you if they are out of date. An un-updated program is not going to detect newer spyware. Update and do a full system scan again.

Do the same with your Anti-Virus program-update and do a full scan.

You might also want to look around and see if you can get your hands on programs that can scan for, and remove, registry problems. WinMech is the only free program like this I can think of, but there are others you can buy.

Check your harddrive to see if there is a folder called "LucasArts". The uninstall option for most games will not remove the rootfile, which could cause problems. (you double click-My computer-your harddrive (Disk C I would think)-program files-LucasArts. SWKotOR2 is the name of the folder all the game files are located. Try deleting SWKotOR2 folder. Note-the Folder "Lucasarts" will also contain any other LA games you might have on your PC, including KOTOR 1, so be careful here.). The uninstall program will also keep any saved games you had, unless you select the option to delete them during uninstall. If you had any mods going the last time you played then that can screw things up too.

Before you install the game turn off your internet connection, then any Anti-Virus programs that might be running. Anti-Virus programs can play havok when attempting to install games from disks, so this might help solve the problem. (Just remember to turn it back on before reconnecting to the net)

Do a full disk scan (scan disk). Just in case you don't know how to do that; My Computer, right click on your hard drive and scroll down the options and select Properties. Click the tab at the top that says "Tools". There are three options here, Error-checking is the top one. Click "Check now" then select both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Your computer will flash up a message that it can't run a check right now, but it can run one the next time you restart your computer. You then restart the computer, sit back and let the computer do its stuff. Note that Scan disk can take ages-the larger the harddrive the longer it will take-so its best to have something else to do for a while.

On a side note, I notice while trying to install a program that it said I need administrator privileges when in fact I do :/. Could it be that kotor 2 also associates my account as a limited account ?

No, you wouldn't have been allowed to install the game in the first place if you didn't have administrator privileges, and that decision is made by windows, not by KOTOR 2's install program. The reminder comes up just to remind people who are sharing a computer with someone else that they might not be able to install the game. In fact I don't think you can install any programs if you don't have admin privileges.

Edited by Darth Mortis