Local Radio

Oerwinde

We've got two choices in my town. Bad and worse. The rock one is better, at least they don't play Celine Dion anymore, but they have a strange fascination with Nelly Furtado.

Ouch...Sun FM's top ten list left me cringing.

1169782506.gif

Seriously, only like, three people can touch my body

Don't listen to the radio all that much anymore, but I still like Alice @97.3 I think they've changed their genres format a little but it's still the station most likely to play something I'll like the sound of. When they put out their first annual compilation CD's I bought them all. Don't know if they still do that.

Their morning DJ's used to be kind of obnoxious, but I haven't listened then in a long while so don't know if that's changed or not.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Something about the Fox bugs me. I just could never really get into what they were playing; not bad songs by any means, but it never clicked.

Rock 101.1 is where its at. Personal friend of Bro Jake, right here. They always hook me up with concert tickets and the like, and with classic rock, where can you go wrong?

I was the same way with Rock 101. I like classic rock, but every time I changed to them they would always be playing the crappiest of all classic rock, so I'd change back. I listened more for a while because I was entered in the double your paycheck contest, but I realized that it wasn't the music that really keeps me on the fox, its the DJs. I'm rarely awake early enough for the Jeff O'neil show, but when I used to work mornings I'd stop working a lot so I could really listen to some of the crap they were pulling, like calling a costume shop in Kelowna asking if they sold Beef Curtain costumes. Neil Morrison is a funny guy. Love how he abuses his callers. Todd and Karen in the afternoon are always great, Danger can be a little boring, he's got good chemistry with Todd on the rock report though. Lana is the hottest DJ ever... Listening to Rock 101 just made me feel like I was in a strange place because I didn't know the DJs.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have a different Rock 101.1 called KUFO. This is a big station in this area of Portland, Gresham, Vancouver, Camas (first two are cities in OR, the others are across the river in WA). Alternatively, there is alternative rock and alternative music in general on 94.7 KNRK. This one is also popular.

I think KUFO beats out 94.7 when it comes to talk shows, although KNRK takes pride in playing music a lot and having few talk shows. It plays the syndicated Loveline talk show, while KUFO plays the syndicated Adam Carolla show.

KNRK makes me mad sometimes though when they play too much 80's bad-sounding music (especially crap like Depeche Mode). However, they have a lot of good alternative rock too. KUFO will sometimes play lame rock, like Aerosmith or Beastie Boys or something I find stupid or annoying, but they too have a lot of good stuff to play, such as Mastodon and Pantera. Both stations may play the same bands like with Nirvana and Foo Fighters.

Then there's a Jazz/Blues station I listen to that is broadcasted from a community-college across the river, KMHD 89.1 They play some good stuff.

I also listen to a Classical music station sometimes, KBPS 89.9. It's nice too.

This is all listened to during 25 minute car drives to school and back (car is without a CD/MP3 player).

I listen to anything that sounds good. If it doesn't sound good, I won't tolerate it, I have 4 other stations to choose from. 5 including z100 Portland, but that is usually the one I am forced to switch away from. I won't lie though, I'll continue to listen if it sounds good, for example, the recent Icebox by Omarion. The problem with z100 is that it plays the same songs over and over and over... and over. People get sick of them quick (or is it just me?), especially when the songs are barely tolerable to start with.

Perhaps this is as good a time as any to note that, even though I am Christian, I can't stand "Christian music". It's way too upbeat. For some reason it comes across like they are making music first and worshiping God second. They somehow don't even do either well. I am not judging them on a personal level, but it comes across like that to me, and so I simply don't listen to it. Their voices are always over the top with "emotion". To my ears, it's like if you took the worst from pop music and combined it with Raffi.

Of course, if you like it, I have nothing against you, I just can't stand it.

In fact, it makes me sad when people just can't hear the good music. Like with rap/hip-hop, I have a friend who doesn't like it simply because it is rap, but he likes other music I like, and I thought they sounded as good as each other. I am sure there is a good song in every genre, I just haven't found that for "Christian music"... Or country music. I will also take this opportunity to say that I loathe country music. I like bluegrass and anything else, just not country.

Edited by Blank

Right, I mean Rush says so, so its got to be true

No. Guard Dog says so. Forums are about voicing your opinion, not parroting someone else.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell