The Great England Escape

Cantousent

My passport arrived. My Tickets are waiting for me. My hotel stays are all aranged. In three more days, I'll be on my way to merry old England. I just hope that the terrorists don't think I'm an important enough target to try to bring down my particular plane. :Cant's looking over his shoulder for suspicious characters icon:

I'll be staying in London for a few days, then to Rutland and finally up to the Lake District. I think, while I'm up there, I'll go to Hadrian's wall and Scotland. I'd really like to go to Wales, but I don't think it's in the cards this time around. There's just too much to see close to our locations to drive that far just so I can say I've been there. It wouldn't be an issue at all except one of my favorite series takes place, in part, in Wales.

We also purchased free pass cards for our stay. Most of the time while I'm on vacation, I let my wife and other guests decide where we go. I, on the other hand, decide how we're going to get there and the basic itinerary. That just basically means that I have to figure out how to accomodate everyone's desires. Same with this trip. However, I would like to see the British museum and library. I'd really like to visit the Elgin Marbles. It's a big tourist attraction in England and a sore spot with the Greeks.

I've never been to England, but my sister has been a few times and my brother travels in the region frequently for business, logging probably a couple months all tolled between Wales, England, and France every year.

So, with all that, if there's any place important to see while I'm up there, let me know. This trip has been long in the planning, like most of my vacations. It involves four of us, my wife, my sister, my nephew, and myself. That's fairly common also. My nephew is eleven, so I hope the experience is good for him.

EDIT: ...And, be warned, there will be pictures.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Th British Museum is excellent. The Library did not impress me. You have much cooler libraries in the USA. Don't miss out Oxford, where you should try to see the Pitt Rivers collection in the Natural History Museum. Shrunken heads, and swords made of teeth!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

EDIT: ...And, be warned, there will be pictures.

Does that mean pictures of you standing before some landscape or pictures of hawt english babes?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

:Cant's looking over his shoulder for suspicious characters icon:

You can't seeeeee me.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Does that mean pictures of you standing before some landscape or pictures of hawt english babes?

They still there? I thought we took em all with us home in the raids. :sorcerer:

Oh wait, what do I care. >_<

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

You know, if I found myself in England I would probably never return to the US. Then agai8n, if I found myself in England I would be wondering how the bloody hell I got there!

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Wel, they do have better television. I wouldn't have to download my episodes of Doctor Who.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

However, I would like to see the British museum and library. I'd really like to visit the Elgin Marbles. It's a big tourist attraction in England and a sore spot with the Greeks.

As Walsh said The British Museum is rather awesome... but good luck finding it! The British library is ugly, sure it is a literary treasure trove but the building is an eyesore.

Visit Oxford and Cambridge just to get a taste of ye olde University buildings.

I wouldn't spend too much time in London A) I live there :sorcerer: B)Its smelly and crowded. In addition to the usual tourist hotspots visit Spearmint Rhino. I am sure it is not on a par wit similar establishments State-side but y'know its not too far from the British Museum. *shrugs*

Also visit Meta.

Edited by Surreptishus

I could never get used to drinking the warm beer.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Also visit Meta.

I'm going to shoot him off a PM tonight on just that issue. He might run for cover, but I'd like to see the guy again. I still remember his words to me when I first met him.

"Can't you Americans make a decent F***ing cup of coffee?"

hahaha

Oh, most of the pictures will be me hamming it in front of some sort of landscape, building, or park.

I'm taking my sister, my wife, and my nephew with me. I don't think Spearamint Rhino is in the work.

Finally, I bought an adapter today. It's not a converter. My power input for my laptop says it takes 100-240v. Will that work with my laptop? I'd rather not fry it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oh, most of the pictures will be me hamming it in front of some sort of landscape, building, or park.

I'm taking my sister, my wife, and my nephew with me.

You know what would be fun? "Secretly" take pictures of hawt english babes, but don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I don't care if it's overrated, I've always wanted to see Stonehenge up close... :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Is this the same trip that you made a thread for earlier , Cantoueldar? Irreguardless, I hope you have a jolly good time across the pond.

Yes, I usually book these vacations a year in advance, if possible. It saves a lot of heartache and grief for me. Also, I've established that my laptop will work just fine at 240v.

I don't know if I'll see Stonehenge, but I might. It depends on what everyone else wants to see.

Obsidian Plays

One thing about Stonehenge, there's a barrier that separates the viewers from the actual stones, set there last decade since the they grew bored of cleaning the tagged stones every other morning. You can't really see the henge up close.

Oh, I'm coming to England also. Next May, first Wales(Abergavenny, sp?) and then London. It's a two week study trip, but I wager my studies will have almost nothing to do with British history or the language and almost everything to do with finding ways to get jailed. :wub:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The truth is they cut it off from the public because the stones appear to be becoming younger. Suggesting some dour mystic forces are at work. It's like the fnords all over the window sill at the Texas book depository.

Alright it's a lie, but it'll make staring at rocks more interesting.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Between passports, packing, and federal regulations, I'm wondering why the hell I bothered. What a pain in the ass. Of course, I say that now, but I'm sure I'll be happy when I get there.

Obsidian Plays

I don't care if it's overrated, I've always wanted to see Stonehenge up close... :yucky:

Stonehenge is just, well it's a cool site but it's a tourist trap in all honesty, there are many stone circles dotted around england out in the middle of nowhere which I have enjoied more than my trip to stonehenge.

There are some stone circles on the orkney islands I really really wanna go see.

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Hallo from England. I wanted to show pictures and everything, but my damnable laptop wireless has not been working for a long time and I don't have a cabled connection here. I will have to wait until I have a better connection to share photos.

Obsidian Plays