Uniting North America

Eddo36

Tis interesting but twill not happen.

Aside, I don't think creationism should be taught in schools in science, since it isn't science. At best it would be in a course that looks at world-views.

I believe homosexuality is a sin, but it is important to distinguish a person from their sin. I don't hate homosexuals or even despise them. It actually makes me sorrowful, because I want people to repent and believe in Jesus, then love God and do what he commands. Yet, homosexuality is a sin, no more, no less. For example, I struggle with lust, which is a sin, whereas a person with same-gender preference struggles with homosexual urges. So just because I struggle in a different way doesn't make me better or anything. It's a sin I have to deal with every day, and theirs is a sin they have to deal with every day. However, people don't consider homosexuality a sin because that's easier to do.

People don't want to be told they are opposing God with their actions. I'd say lust is natural in humans, and evidently so are homosexual urges in some people. Regardless, that doesn't make these things not sinful anymore. God still says these things are wrong, even though our id's tell us otherwise.

Then you get all these people that are like, "Kill homosexuals! We are Christians!" It makes me even more sad, since they are misrepresenting Christ. Jesus is loving and forgiving, wanting all to be saved. That entails repentance for one's sins and accepting Christ's sacrifice. Telling people they need to die doesn't quite convey the message Jesus was telling us when he became a sacrificial lamb on the cross.

Sorry to get off-topic.

That is nice, Blank, but to be honest I don't particularly like God. In fact I just do what I feel is right, regardless what God thinks or what his opinions are. If that goes along with God and Jesus, fine. If not, to bad for them. God gave us instincts, drives, and a will to act. If He doesn't like the consequences of His own actions that is His fault and His problem. Not mine.

Lets end the religious talk there. :rolleyes:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

God gave us instincts, drives, and a will to act. If He doesn't like the consequences of His own actions that is His fault and His problem. Not mine.

You got a tool, it's up to you how you use it. Beyond reasonable circumstances, it certainly is your fault if you make the decision to abuse it.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Your logic makes sense from an atheistic point of view. I know discussing this won't make anyone change, but I see it as part of my duties as a Christian to witness. God didn't make us with a sinful nature, these instincts and drives that compel us to act against him. I don't think the consequences are going to bother Him as much as they hopefully don't bother you for eternity. Would it really be so bad to repent for wrongdoings and accept Jesus as a sacrifice for those sins?

I digress.

I'd say lust is natural in humans, and evidently so are homosexual urges in some people. Regardless, that doesn't make these things not sinful anymore. God still says these things are wrong, even though our id's tell us otherwise.

Sorry to get off-topic.

No problem.

But if anything, denying your nature is a sin. In your terms, God made us the way he desired. If that is so, then do deny lust (and homosexual urges), they are denying God.

Ah, what's the point. There is no progress to be had treading down this path...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

No problem.

But if anything, denying your nature is a sin. In your terms, God made us the way he desired. If that is so, then do deny lust (and homosexual urges), they are denying God.

Ah, what's the point. There is no progress to be had treading down this path...

When I say natural I don't mean that is how God intended us to be when he created us. Humans became tainted with a sinful nature after the first sin.

But I like that ninjakid fighting the rooster. And the Mr. T. Those are classics.

Edited by Blank

To be honest, Guard Dog, I don't consider you to be a right wing Christian.

Reverend Phelps, Pat Robinson, and Jerry Falwell and similar folk are who I would consider "right wingers." People who are adamant that creationism should be taught in public schools, who think that the Earth is only 10,000 years old, and that scripture is never ever wrong. I consider those people "right wingers."

You aren't a "right winger," GD.

:D

You realizing you're stereotyping half the Christian population. Just because they're right wing doesn't mean they believe the earth is 10,000 years old. I consider myself right wing. Are you going to start accusing me of being a witch burner?

And how exactly did this discussion get shifted to religion anyway? :yucky: Never mind, I see someone decided to troll about it. Only on Obsidian. :aaw, they took away the cat smiley!:

Aside, I don't think creationism should be taught in schools in science, since it isn't science. At best it would be in a course that looks at world-views.

I believe homosexuality is a sin, but it is important to distinguish a person from their sin. I don't hate homosexuals or even despise them. It actually makes me sorrowful, because I want people to repent and believe in Jesus, then love God and do what he commands. Yet, homosexuality is a sin, no more, no less. For example, I struggle with lust, which is a sin, whereas a person with same-gender preference struggles with homosexual urges. So just because I struggle in a different way doesn't make me better or anything. It's a sin I have to deal with every day, and theirs is a sin they have to deal with every day. However, people don't consider homosexuality a sin because that's easier to do.

People don't want to be told they are opposing God with their actions. I'd say lust is natural in humans, and evidently so are homosexual urges in some people. Regardless, that doesn't make these things not sinful anymore. God still says these things are wrong, even though our id's tell us otherwise.

Then you get all these people that are like, "Kill homosexuals! We are Christians!" It makes me even more sad, since they are misrepresenting Christ. Jesus is loving and forgiving, wanting all to be saved. That entails repentance for one's sins and accepting Christ's sacrifice. Telling people they need to die doesn't quite convey the message Jesus was telling us when he became a sacrificial lamb on the cross.

Sorry to get off-topic.

I agree 100%. Nicely said, mate. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dark Moth

If you are a Republican, merging with Canada is at the absolute top of your list of "things never to do".

There are 35 million of us, Even assuming Quebec goes its separate way (and they would), that's still 28 million or so new citizens.

12% of the votes in the House of Reps shift. You add another 12 or 14 senators. The electoral college tilts accordingly.

And except for a handful from Alberta, every single one of them seats and electoral college votes - for the next fifty years, will be a Democrat. And a liberal left-wing democrat at that by American standards. The "liberal" line isn't a curse up here - in fact - it's pretty much required to get elected. Canadians make Massachussets look pretty conservative.

Given the rest of the balance of power in the United States, you'd pretty much have Democrats in power for the vast majority of the next fifty years.

I'm guessing that ends the 54-40 or Fight and the Merge with Canada Movement real fast.

More to the point? We'd never, ever, go for it.

Edited by Steel_Wind

Sorry to get off-topic.

I can appriciate this much more than the bile a certain user :yucky: of this forum often manages to sprew, so thanks. :thumbsup:

I don't know how different the US and Canada are really, but in regards to the EU, well the remarks I wrote about earlier would be a reason for me in itself to oppose a EU constitution, the mere thought of being forced into a closer union with some of the nations on this continent makes my skin crawl.

There can be no such union...

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I'm sorry, but aren't we drifting a little off topic?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Your logic makes sense from an atheistic point of view. I know discussing this won't make anyone change, but I see it as part of my duties as a Christian to witness. God didn't make us with a sinful nature, these instincts and drives that compel us to act against him. I don't think the consequences are going to bother Him as much as they hopefully don't bother you for eternity. Would it really be so bad to repent for wrongdoings and accept Jesus as a sacrifice for those sins?

I digress.

The thing is I am not an atheist. I go by what I know and lets just say I had my own religious epiphany. I simply refuse to worship God or Jesus. They have nothing I want and they have a certain aspects in their "demands" in which I highly disagree. I am unrepentent and will always be so. One man's sin is another man's salvation, Blank. That is one thing God fails to understand.

Dark Moth, I consider you a bit more left than the right wingers that I describe.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Can't you take Poland as well? I don't really want to be sharing a union with those creeps.

Hey Wals, I take it back. Maybe there WILL be another European war. You guys just seem to have it in for each other.

>_<

I just have a problem with their backwards views on homosexuality and abortions. IMO it doesn't belong in EU, not that the US is backwards, but lets face it you do have a very right wing christian movement.

Those hardcore catholics. Gotta love them. :o

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

So what ;p

*resists urge to lock topic on grounds of weak comedy*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hey how about those French jokes.....

*Fails save*

-Elwood Blues

Thread reopened by request.

-Elwood Blues

Dark Moth, I consider you a bit more left than the right wingers that I describe.

Gee, thanks for clarifying. :)

I can appriciate this much more than the bile a certain user :yucky: of this forum often manages to sprew, so thanks. :lol:

Gee, I wonder whom that could be. ;) But surely it can't be any worse than the bile in my sig. :)

And no, I don't think uniting North America is a good idea, nor will it be in the near future. Just the idea of that happening is simply ridiculous. We are all culturally different, and we get along well enough without being united. Plus, nobody in any North American country would be so willing to give up their cultural identity for unity anytime soon.

My apologies, Walsh. Just had to tie up loose ends. Will be on-topic from here on.

Edited by Dark Moth

To get us back On Topic here. As I pointed out, the EU is largely an economic institution. There are no barriers to free trade in North America so no need for such an economic alliance. Because of NAFTA the tariffs btween Canada, Mexico and the US are nearly nonexistant. The next step would be a common currency but I really do not see it happening. I keep telling you guys this, but North America it NOT Europe. I think everyone forgets there are more differences than similarities. In Europe, the national govenments excercise more regulatory control over business than even Canada does. Much, much more than the US does. Europe as a whole turned away from laissez-faire capitalism long ago. In the US and Mexico, and even Canada to a lesser extent it is still embraced. Once a system like that is set into motion, it takes a radical (meaning economy destroying) event or many long years of slow process to change it. Europe needed it. North America does not.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Gee, I wonder whom that could be. ;) But surely it can't be any worse than the bile in my sig. :brows:

Why I never! Surely you couldn't possibly think I was referring to you, dear friend? :sweat:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

And no, I don't think uniting North America is a good idea, nor will it be in the near future. Just the idea of that happening is simply ridiculous. We are all culturally different, and we get along well enough without being united. Plus, nobody in any North American country would be so willing to give up their cultural identity for unity anytime soon.

My apologies, Walsh. Just had to tie up loose ends. Will be on-topic from here on.

There is nothing wrong being culturally diverse and joining as one shouldn't counteract that diversity. It should strengthen it, allowing differing ideas, cultures, and people join together in allow the best aspects of each rise in a gestalt. Okay, that is a bit too utopic. :woot:

Look, put this another way. Would it be a good idea to join ALL nations into one? if not, then I suspect many of the same reasons would apply.

-Elwood Blues

if we had a global threat, such as some alien civilization (led by lurrr, ruler of omicron persei 8 ) attempting to overtake the world, then yes, it would make sense.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.