Uniting North America

Eddo36

signs042.gif

I knew this would come in handy...

Seriously though, I think something similar to the EU would be cool, with a common currency and such.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

He wouldn't take you.

I think a united planet is a pipe dream for crazies. That and folks who've watched too much Star Trek and don't realize it's a fantasy. It's also a utopian fantasy. hahaha

Seriously, since we're being serious, I'm not against the idea of a united North America, but not in our current condition. It has to serve our interests better, and I don't just mean tradewise. Free trade is one thing. Security is another.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

For me it's simple systems theory. anything above a certain size becomes unweildy. I'm not in favour of the EU for any reason besides stopping us Europeans from shooting at each other. Since you New Worlders seem to have that under control (on the national scale) I can see little reason for it. In fact I think the USA should consider breaking into smaller chunks.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

In fact I think the USA should consider breaking into smaller chunks.

We tried that once... It really did not go over well. But seriously, I doubt, EU or no, we will not see another global conflict on the scale of WWII. All economies are so interdependent who could afford it? As for breaking up the US, I doubt that will ever happen but you are correct about it being unwieldy to govern. The Founders recognized that and that is the reason for the (oft-ignored) 10th Amendment in the constitution. FDR shot that to pieces.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, I wouldn't mind it. If we can take the best aspects of Canada, the United States, and Mexico, as well as remove or eleviate the weaknesses of each nation I think that we would be for the better.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Sure! We could take use US cost of living, working for Mexican wages, paying Canadian taxes. Good thing the health care would be free cause who the heck could afford it?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm for this. I know many Kanandians would bash the idea; but seriously, why not? I dunno much about Mexico; but the US and Kanada ar emore alike than many would care to admit.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I mentioned it could possibly be a good idea in a thread back when. I could definitely see some positives but as someone mentioned once you get too big your resources are just stretched to thin. To combat countries like China who have an over whelming population and large amount of space and who are becoming more and more entrenched in the world market and becoming extremely powerful, America and Canada could unite to level it out. Joining with mexico would be nice for all the raw resources and people in the U.S would flock to buy up beach front property and such and we'd basically just screw Mexicans over beyond belief. But we'd also take on all their debt (with ourselves?) and poverty and corruption. I think it would definitely be a good idea if America and Canada created a union, same currency and stuff.

As for Mexico we should really just imprison all their government officials and revamp their system (government, education, health care, etc) with people who aren't scum bags. Start with the top then work towards the bottom until they are a civilized country which is worthy to be apart of a union. We also need to get Japan to take over China since Japan is awesome.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Sure! We could take use US cost of living, working for Mexican wages, paying Canadian taxes. Good thing the health care would be free cause who the heck could afford it?

Actually I am thinking of intergrating the Mexican workforce, keep the US wages and cost of living, and the Canadian health care system. I have no problem paying higher taxes if I got free healthcare.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Can't you take Poland as well? I don't really want to be sharing a union with those creeps.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Sorry, you are stuck with the Poles. :teehee:

Can't you take Poland as well? I don't really want to be sharing a union with those creeps.

Hey Wals, I take it back. Maybe there WILL be another European war. You guys just seem to have it in for each other.

:teehee:

Thomas Sowell

Hey Wals, I take it back. Maybe there WILL be another European war. You guys just seem to have it in for each other.

:teehee:

I just have a problem with their backwards views on homosexuality and abortions. IMO it doesn't belong in EU, not that the US is backwards, but lets face it you do have a very right wing christian movement.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

:rolleyes:

I just have a problem with their backwards views on homosexuality and abortions. IMO it doesn't belong in EU, not that the US is backwards, but lets face it you do have a very right wing Christian movement.

Jeez Lucius. I was just making a joke here. And, last time I checked, wasn't the EU an economic alliance? You live in Denmark right? What the heck do you care about the political climate or opinions about abortions and homosexuality in another country? The opinions of the average Pole on a purely social issue have no bearing on trade, military cooperation, or other aspects of the EU.

Also, I would point out that being of a particular faith or political persuasion does not require to conform to any perceived stereotype. I am a Christian and I could not care less about who is or is not homosexual, and can see no reason they should not be allowed to do what they please so long as it does not affect me. I think most "right-wing" Americans would agree with me.

Hmmmm.... I get the strangest feeling I've said these things to you before.....

Thomas Sowell

To be honest, Guard Dog, I don't consider you to be a right wing Christian.

Reverend Phelps, Pat Robinson, and Jerry Falwell and similar folk are who I would consider "right wingers." People who are adamant that creationism should be taught in public schools, who think that the Earth is only 10,000 years old, and that scripture is never ever wrong. I consider those people "right wingers."

You aren't a "right winger," GD.

:D

Edited by Sand

To be honest, Guard Dog, I don't consider you to be a right wing Christian.

Reverend Phelps, Pat Robinson, and Jerry Falwell and similar folk are who I would consider "right wingers." People who are adamant that creationism should be taught in public schools, who think that the Earth is only 10,000 years old, and that scripture is never ever wrong. I consider those people "right wingers."

You aren't a "right winger," GD.

:D

Heh, technically a right or left winger comes from what side of the assembly chamber you sit on. Since I could not seem to win an election, I couldn't be either!

Thomas Sowell

i wouldn't really call the right-wing a "movement" in the US, either. it has always been and always will be, part of our society. if anything, the left-wing is a "movement" simply because it has grown out of small beginnings to probably be equal in size to what we're calling the right-wing. being extremes, they'll both be only a small part of our political landscape for a looong time, however.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

:lol:

I just have a problem with their backwards views on homosexuality and abortions. IMO it doesn't belong in EU, not that the US is backwards, but lets face it you do have a very right wing Christian movement.

Jeez Lucius. I was just making a joke here. And, last time I checked, wasn't the EU an economic alliance? You live in Denmark right? What the heck do you care about the political climate or opinions about abortions and homosexuality in another country? The opinions of the average Pole on a purely social issue have no bearing on trade, military cooperation, or other aspects of the EU.

Also, I would point out that being of a particular faith or political persuasion does not require to conform to any perceived stereotype. I am a Christian and I could not care less about who is or is not homosexual, and can see no reason they should not be allowed to do what they please so long as it does not affect me. I think most "right-wing" Americans would agree with me.

Hmmmm.... I get the strangest feeling I've said these things to you before.....

Actually, they recently demanded that the entire EU ban abortion and homosexual "propaganda", of course this nonsense was rejected and the rest of us laugh at them, but still it's kinda scary. :rolleyes:

DENMARK!

Actually, they recently demanded that the entire EU ban abortion and homosexual "propaganda", of course this nonsense was rejected and the rest of us laugh at them, but still it's kinda scary. :rolleyes:

Didn't hear about that one but if they did it was foolish. But it would be equally foolish to expect them to conform to a political ideal they do not believe in. Europe is not and will never be culturally, politically, religiously or ethnically homogeneous. The worst wars fought on that continent were started by an attempt to make it so. If the EU is to survive then social politics like that MUST stop at the borders of each member nation and each must understand that the other members might be different culturally and politically.

Thomas Sowell