Lots of zombies? Coop-focused? Valve?

Llyranor

I heard about Left 4 Dead http://www.l4d.com/ a while back. Basically, developed by TurtleRock (the dudes making new maps/AI for Counterstrike Source) with a big helping hand from Valve. Everyone's been turned into zombies, 4 survivors. Coop mode. I mean, coop + zombies speaks for itself. Sounds like an ideal game, I just wonder why I haven't really been paying any attention to it.

This is all they've shown in terms of footage so far http://youtube.com/watch?v=K4zvNRfoom0

Latest impressions here http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73583 which specifies that there's a campaign of about 20 maps. You can also play as the zombies.

There are four campaigns, each divided into five maps and representing a serious but manageable chunk of playtime, and designed for replay value above all else. Though the level design is fairly linear, an AI director controls the pace and dynamic of the action, meaning they never play the same twice. The one we play leads through homes, stores, streets, sewers, gas stations, warehouses and a horrific hospital full of screaming zombies in floral smocks, before culminating in the defence of a rooftop radio tower while awaiting helicopter rescue. Rural, wooded settings are also promised, which should provide a welcome change from the convincing but over-familiar concrete and twisted metal.

You begin with a pistol and your choice of shotgun or submachine gun, and Molotov or pipe bomb. Later in the level you can add a second pistol and upgrade to an auto shotgun, heavy assault rifle or sniper rifle, but that's it - Left 4 Dead's weaponry is as resolutely unfancy as its backstory. An effective melee pushes attackers back far enough to get a clear shot. Each player can also carry one first aid kit each, plus pain-suppressant pills (sort of fake health). While ammo isn't much of a problem, health is scarce. Run out and you become incapacitated, lying on the floor but still able to shoot, whereupon a team-mate can revive you up to three times. After the third strike, you'll respawn later in the level in a locked room and need to be let out. If all four players die, it's Game Over.

Turtle Rock is acutely aware from its experience with Counter-Strike that players need firm encouragement to co-operate, so it's made it very difficult to survive if you split off from the group. This is partly down to the sheer numbers of regular infected, but also the designs of the five

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeah, I've been looking forward to it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 1 year later...

Side note: Left 4 Dead developers Turtle Rock Studios are officially part of Valve now.

Fact: This game is going to rock

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Query: Who is planning on getting the PC version?

I'm jumpstarting the bandwagon and stating that I will deffinetely be getting this game for 360.

If everyone else does.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Why would anyone who could have PC version (aka Hurlshot) wants to have 360 version?

FPS's, especially online ones, are what makes teh PC gaming. Keyboard + mouse = winrar

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Because XBL is highly functional. Steam's pretty good too, though.

Besides, if L4D has an advanced version of the Source engine requiring good hardware (which is pretty doubtful, I'd say) it might be a good idea to play on a standardized platform.

Edited by Pop

Why would anyone who could have PC version (aka Hurlshot) wants to have 360 version?

FPS's, especially online ones, are what makes teh PC gaming. Keyboard + mouse = winrar

I had that same thinking on CoD4, but part of me definitely felt left out when these guys talked about playing it on XBL. Is this game strictly an FPS? I thought there might be a third person view.

Becides, the controler isn't an issue, i'm pretty much as good at console shooters now as I ever was at PC ones.

The mouse might be more accurate, but having to pinpoint aim at everything is kind of annoying.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The mouse might be more accurate, but having to pinpoint aim at everything is kind of annoying.

And zombie swarms are not conducive to sniping, although head-shots might be important. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot