mobile phone battery woes

Walsingham

I don't know about you guys, but the whole reason I gota mobile phone was so that I could be mobile. This means doing work on journeys away from an office/home for over an hour. To provide this capability I purchased a Motorola v3 Razr. This device comes with a subsystem called a 'battery' that stores electrical energy from the mains chemically for release over tim

Unfortunately, there seems to have been a breakdown in logic. My phone battery charges in fifteen minutes, "Hurrah!" And discharges in an hour, "Hurroo."

Motorola seem to be of the opinion that this is better than my concept of a phone battery that charges over two hours, and discharges over eight.

I am quite vexed by this and am considering buying a new phone, and throwing this one through a window belonging to said company. Questions arising:

1) Are all modern phones like this, which assume one dashes from point to point in short bursts?

2) What is the greatest longevity found in a phone?

3) Can I buy some sort of bandolier for mobile phone batteries?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That definately sounds like a problem with the battery itself. I owned a Razr for a while and I found the battery life to be excellent, so you may have just gotten a dog of a battery. Also, if you find the battery life to short for your needs even when working properly, I believe they sell upgrade batteries with significat talk times.

Yeah, so they tell.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Walsh, that was a really funny post. :D

If the battery is wearing down that fast, especially if you're barely using the phone during that time, then yeah, I'd try another battery before giving up on the phone entirely. I don't know much about cells, but maybe it's possible some feature you like to use a lot sucks up more juice than average, too? I've been irritated via camera battery for the same reason. Charges fast and can last reasonably long if all I do is click the shutter, but use the tiny built-in flash 20 times or view the LCD screen too much and it's gone very rapidly. I have 2 spares with me at all times. :brows:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thanks for all the advice. I have put the phone through a wide variety of climates over its life. So it may be some kind of corrosion or something.

I think I had better buy some batteries then. What bothers me is how I can buy a battery charging device.

As an aside, I know it lasts three days on standby. But sadly merely knowing it is there does not comfort me as much as you might think.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have a cheapo motorola, the W220, and it can go for over a week without charging.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

this is a well-known problem with the razr. i'm of the opinion that the battery actually does not discharge, but the software that checks the status of the battery is actually flawed. i.e., when the phone decides the battery has run down, it probably still has plenty of life left but shuts itself off anyway. on occasion, i've turned mine off and back on and the battery is back up to nearly full power.

one of my buddies from college is a VW director, and he hates the damn phone, too.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

this is a well-known problem with the razr. i'm of the opinion that the battery actually does not discharge, but the software that checks the status of the battery is actually flawed. i.e., when the phone decides the battery has run down, it probably still has plenty of life left but shuts itself off anyway. on occasion, i've turned mine off and back on and the battery is back up to nearly full power.

one of my buddies from college is a VW director, and he hates the damn phone, too.

taks

Now you mention it, mine does precisely that. Which by itself MIGHT not be so bad, but it beeps plaintively like a dying sparrow when it thinks the charge is low. And there is no option to prevent it so doing.

*sigh*

But the casing is so cool!

-Elwood Blues

i don't even like the case anymore. the buttons on the side are in terrible locations. the phone is hard to hold, and it fits into your pocket funny. fortunately, i got it free after rebate. i may just suffer and buy a new one, something like my old samsung.

oh, the "selling point" they gave me was "this phone has great reception." outright lie that was. much worse than my samsung. maybe they meant "this phone has great reception if you ignore every other phone on the market"?

taks

i don't even like the case anymore. the buttons on the side are in terrible locations. the phone is hard to hold, and it fits into your pocket funny. fortunately, i got it free after rebate. i may just suffer and buy a new one, something like my old samsung.

oh, the "selling point" they gave me was "this phone has great reception." outright lie that was. much worse than my samsung. maybe they meant "this phone has great reception if you ignore every other phone on the market"?

taks

I just had a thought. Why not have a phone shaped like a pen? Purely for making calls on. You dial by turning the 'lid' like a safe lock.

-Elwood Blues

I just had a thought. Why not have a phone shaped like a pen? Purely for making calls on. You dial by turning the 'lid' like a safe lock.

you're just trying to make it hard on the intellectually challenged, aren't you? :) imagine the problems in florida... (ba dump dump)

taks

you're just trying to make it hard on the intellectually challenged, aren't you? ;) imagine the problems in florida... (ba dump dump)

taks

It would be great. Anyone too dumb to use the phone, I don't wanna talk to!

-Elwood Blues

You could dial by writing out the number ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You could dial by writing out the number ...

*bounces*

That would be awesome.

-Elwood Blues