Question: Can a Mobile CPU work on a Desktop Motherboard...

Sand

The title says it all. Can a mobile AMD processor work in a desktop motherboard even if they use the same CPU socket size?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

AMD's Turion processors are compatible with a standard socket 754 motherboard. Why did you want to know? :lol:

EDIT: After some checking it appears that Turion processors will fit in any standard 754 board, but won't necessarily work in every board. Also looks like you might need a new heat sink. The Turion doesn't have an integrated heat spreader so it's a little shorter than the 64's.

Edited by Deraldin

Wel, I need to get a better CPU and I only have a socket 754.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I have this Mobo I believe: http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/AMD/K8MC51G.aspx

It was packaged in with my eMachine.

It does support athlons, too. Google didn't find anything too interesting about Turions on this mainboard :thumbsup: Could you borrow one to try if it works?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Borrow a CPU? Um... That sounds strange. I guess I should just save up the money and get a new computer. :)

new pooter is a good idea.

what's the "emachine" anyway? with the exception of office, or low-end, solutions, i generally frown on pre-packaged deals. you get 'em cheaper i guess, but you get what you pay for. if you have the knowledge to build your own, do so. after that, all you have to do is figure out where to stash all the pooter parts that you accumulate over the years.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yeah, the only original hardware in the eMachine now is the case, the motherboard, and the CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I haven't trashed the old components. I still have them stored. I could remove all the new components and return the computer to base manufacturing standard if I want to.