Report: Man dies after 'marathon' online session

Guard Dog

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- An obese 26-year-old man in northeastern China died after a "marathon" online gaming session over the Lunar New Year holiday, state media said on Wednesday.

The 150-kilogram (330-pound) man from Jinzhou, in Liaoning province, collapsed on Saturday, the last day of the holiday, after spending "almost all" of the seven-day break playing online games, the China Daily said, citing his parents.

Xu Yan, a local teacher, said the "dull life" during the holiday prompted many people to turn to computer games for entertainment.

"There are only two options. TV or computer. What else can I do in the holiday as all markets, KTV and cafeterias are shut down?" the paper quoted Xu as saying.

China has seen an alarming rise in the number of teenage and young adult Internet addicts in recent years, despite attempts to restrict minors from cyber cafes and limit online game playing times. (Watch how China is trying to cure Internet addicts )

About 2.6 million -- or 13 percent -- of China's 20 million Internet users under 18 are classed as addicts, state media have reported

Link

This stuff will KILL you!

Out of curiosity, whats the longest time you guys have spent playing at one time and what game was it? When Madden football came out for the Sega Genesis back in '94 I called in sick for work on Monday and played nearly continuously from Saturday morning until Monday night. These days I ususally lose interest after 2-3 hours. But I have a pretty short attention span.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Guest The Architect

I played FIFA 06' for around 10 hours straight one day, but meh, that's about it.

The moral of the story is not to play online games. I never have, and I never will.

Oh, and the other moral of the story is to exercise regularly!

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- An obese 26-year-old man in northeastern China died after a "marathon" online gaming session over the Lunar New Year holiday, state media said on Wednesday.

The 150-kilogram (330-pound) man from Jinzhou, in Liaoning province, collapsed on Saturday, the last day of the holiday, after spending "almost all" of the seven-day break playing online games, the China Daily said, citing his parents.

Xu Yan, a local teacher, said the "dull life" during the holiday prompted many people to turn to computer games for entertainment.

"There are only two options. TV or computer. What else can I do in the holiday as all markets, KTV and cafeterias are shut down?" the paper quoted Xu as saying.

China has seen an alarming rise in the number of teenage and young adult Internet addicts in recent years, despite attempts to restrict minors from cyber cafes and limit online game playing times. (Watch how China is trying to cure Internet addicts )

About 2.6 million -- or 13 percent -- of China's 20 million Internet users under 18 are classed as addicts, state media have reported

Link

This stuff will KILL you!

Out of curiosity, whats the longest time you guys have spent playing at one time and what game was it? When Madden football came out for the Sega Genesis back in '94 I called in sick for work on Monday and played nearly continuously from Saturday morning until Monday night. These days I ususally lose interest after 2-3 hours. But I have a pretty short attention span.

Is this with breaks for food/toilet or without?

With, 36+, but I was a lot less motivated back then.

Without, 12 hours.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I played The Sims for fifteen hours once, but I did have breaks. That was part of the fun, to go off and come back and see what kind of mess they'd got themselves into.

There are only two options. TV or computer.

Yup.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Moderation in all things leads to a long life. The most I stay infront of a computer is 6 hours and even then I take breaks.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I originally finished Torment in one marathon session which lasted 36 hours (with bathroom breaks and two food breaks).

These days, I rarely spend more than 2 hours per day gaming, although the total time I spend at the computer is 12+ hours daily (job+free time).

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Longest I probably played a game was probably diddy kong racing when me and my friend spent like an entire day and night playing it on n64 or when I first got Oblivion.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I've never played for that long a time. Usually my urge to eat will overpower my urge to play games and then my urge to sleep will overpower everything.

Since I'm hungry every 2-3 hours and am constantly sleepy, I've never played video games for more than 3 hours straight.

So the trick is be so lazy you don't even want to play games. :rolleyes:

40+ hours with short breaks in between playing NWN in one of the RP persistent world. Felt like going through a heart attack from that session. I was such an undisciplined kid back then.

I still do play in that PW, but I don't marathon anymore now.

I remember playing the original Pokemon Red for the whole day, a few times. I'd go to a friends house (which was really stupid cause no one said a word outside of "I CAUGHT IT!") and we'd all sit on the couch with extra batteries and soda and stuff.

I remember playing the original Pokemon Red for the whole day, a few times. I'd go to a friends house (which was really stupid cause no one said a word outside of "I CAUGHT IT!") and we'd all sit on the couch with extra batteries and soda and stuff.

Rofl I remember my friend got a gameboy and pokemon blue. We were outside and me and another friend were pretty much just hovering over his shoulder watching him play. One fight this pokemon whose only move was "harden" rofl :blink: but anyways that was pretty much the selling point for me to get the game later that evening. Pretty sweet game though.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Longest marathon? after I quit school but did not have to pay rent, I played City of Heroes for almost a week strait.... it was the only thing I did other than Sleep for a few hours.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't remember exactly, but probably the longest was around 30-40 hours, w/occasional bathroom and mt dew breaks. I don't remember eating much over that time, but I probably had a small sandwich or something. I know I've had marathons with Diablo2, and probably some early single-player games...like DungeonKeeper and Baldurs Gate1. During the most manic gaming phase, it was probably more average for me to game 6-8 hours every day, sometimes up to 10.

That doesn't happen too much anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Played Final Fantasy Tactics on Playstation for 8 hours in a row (with breaks probably... can't remember, that was so old)... I usually avoid playing videogames for too long (2-3 hours per day max, and that happens rarely)...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Back in the mid-nineties, when the Internet was still young, I discovered Multi User Dungeons, more commonly known as the abbreviation MUD. I started playing on a MUD called Valhalla (which is dead now) and after a few years I moved on to Medievia. When I played Medievia I used to start playing at about 10 in the morning, play throughout the whole day (with the occasional soda purchase break for 30 seconds every now and then), play through the night and still be sitting there at 10 in the morning the next day. I'm guessing I've had ~30 hours sessions at one time. The thing is that I didn't have a computer back then, so I'd do this sitting in the University computer labs! I had to hide from security guards during nights and when morning came, I had to pretend like I had just arrived there when the other students came.

I kind of miss those days. I was pretty good at that game and I miss being a top player in a cyber world sometimes. I vaguely remember having something like 4500+ player kills, but they reset those numbers a few years after I stopped playing.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

When Baldur's Gate 2 came out back in 2000 I skipped two weeks of University lectures and exams and played it 8-12 hours each day (with breaks).

Nowdays, I mostly game during the weekends, usually in 2-4 hour sessions.

The longest I've ever gone was 11 hours playing Rune, I made almost through the whole singleplayer on one sitting. But nowadays I play in two hour intakes. And I get to play on like every third weekend. A couple of months ago, I was without any kind of gaming for a one and a half month.

It's uncanny how easily computer addiction passed, a year ago I was here doing almost full days of posting and playing tons of Rome:Total War on the side. Now I hardly post and gaming is just a way to pass time.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Despite what that article would like to lead us to believe, there's nothing there to indicate that either obesity or gaming were any factors in his death. It doesn't even say how long after his gaming session he died. For all we know he was hit by a bus on his way home.

Nice bun of loaded propaganda bull**** trying to link gaming obesity and death. Typical

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Before I had a girlfriend, on weekends I would get out of bed at around 8am(that's sleeping in for me...), turn on the PC and read some news while having breakfast. Around 9am I would start a game and I would play until dinner time(6-7pm). Then I would order food and play while waiting. When the delivery guy arrived he would see my screen and we'd have a little chat about the game I was playing.

I'd watch a movie while I ate and after that I'd play until midnight or 1-2 am.

Sundays were very similar but sometimes I'd go see a movie in a theater in the afternoon.

I had no friends and my skin is still pasty white/greenish to this very day.

:woot: